Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Foil Scam

MakeNWaves

Be careful to anybody looking for a wakesurf foil.  Saw a 2019 Slingshot wakesurf foil on a classified post on ikitesurf.com.  Communicated with seller, supposedly in Port Aransas, Tx.  Sent the funds via paypal, and the seller never sent the item.  Email was [email protected]. Don't anybody else lose their money like I did.  Guess wakesurfing only this summer. 

Bingo.  Friends and family.  My stupidity.  Paypal looking at it, but not expecting anything can be done.  Just want to make sure no more crew members make same mistake.

35 minutes ago, MakeNWaves said:

Bingo.  Friends and family.  My stupidity.  Paypal looking at it, but not expecting anything can be done.  Just want to make sure no more crew members make same mistake.

I wouldn't be surprised if they not only don't do anything but suspend your account for using friends and family to avoid the fees.

1 hour ago, MakeNWaves said:

He obviously wasn't a friend, family, or anyone you were the least familiar with.  What could have possibly convinced you to send money that way?

If you used your CC to fund PayPal, you may be able to dispute it, but expect your PayPal account to never work again after that.

What do you mean “local station”?  I’m guessing his classified post information was all crap.  There were lots of red flags that I overlooked in the quest for a brand new foil at a great price.  

You should be able to fairly easily figure out the location used for his paypal. Call the local PD or sheriff's Dept there and file a report with as much info as possible. If you are not in Texas, I would even call my local FBI field office and file a report since I'm pretty sure it's a federal crime. 

If you do nothing, he wins. If you file a report at least there's a chance the dirtbag gets caught.

Woke up this morning to an email from seller saying he had been out of town and would be shipping the foil on Monday.  I had filed a claim (or a complaint) with PayPal, his gmail account, his wife’s protonmail account (come to find out highly secure from Switzerland), which might have done the most digging, ikitesurf.com classified, the kite and foil community in Port Aransas, the police dept in Port Aransas.  Someone, or something, (or maybe he was just out of town) got to him for the 1:00am email.  Still a bit leery until get tracking number tomorrow.  Thanks to all of you who reached out to give me valuable information.

• 1 month later...

Whenever I use Paypal and someone recommends this I always just add the  3% for insurance. I just figure that 3% is a lot cheaper than getting burnt. Is saved me twice and both times I had my money back from Pay Pal in a very short amount of time.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:39 AM, MakeNWaves said:

Woke up this morning to an email from seller saying he had been out of town and would be shipping the foil on Monday.  I had filed a claim (or a complaint) with PayPal, his gmail account, his wife’s protonmail account (come to find out highly secure from Switzerland), which might have done the most digging, ikitesurf.com classified, the kite and foil community in Port Aransas, the police dept in Port Aransas.  Someone, or something, (or maybe he was just out of town) got to him for the 1:00am email.  Still a bit leery until get tracking number tomorrow.  Thanks to all of you who reached out to give me valuable information.

Did you ever get the foil?

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 8:39 AM, MakeNWaves said:

have you ever got the Foil?

No.  $600+ out the window.  Paypal was of no assistance.  Why he contacted me again to say the foil was going to be shipped I have no idea.  I think he was just teasing me.  

I used to be on a quad forum. One time a guy did this to someone and the masses took him down. The buyer had his address and people went after him. I think that guy got his money back. 😎😎. Do you have an address😂😂😂