Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ready to pull the trigger on a used LSV 23.

Mattonspeclake

Thanks Gregtay.

I am definitely thinking about GSA on an older Malibu. Any suggestions on motor and year? I’ve heard the monsoon 340 and 350 are bulletproof and re-prop can really help drop RPM’s and increase fuel efficiency at surf speed. I’m guessing the older bu’s will require more ballast as they are 500lbs lighter. Any experience with the hammerhead or LS3? 

Videos would be awesome! No hurry. 

51 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks Gregtay.

I am definitely thinking about GSA on an older Malibu. Any suggestions on motor and year? I’ve heard the monsoon 340 and 350 are bulletproof and re-prop can really help drop RPM’s and increase fuel efficiency at surf speed. I’m guessing the older bu’s will require more ballast as they are 500lbs lighter. Any experience with the hammerhead or LS3? 

We loved our 340... it was truly bulletproof (never a single issue in 11 years)... and it was quieter and smoother than the new engines. Highly recommend a boat with that 5.7.

53 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks Gregtay.

We ran factory tanks (4 of them) and two Wakemaker 850s in the lockers and it was perfect. Didn’t need anything more than that. 

21 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Daylorb.

Thanks! Easy and cost effective is great, except we have two goffy and two regular surfers our family. 

As far as I know, you fill all ballast, stick the thing to the side.  Takes less than a minute to switch sides.

ahopkins22LSV

@Mattonspeclake can I ask what your budget is? That will help with us trying to help you.

I am going to throw a wrench in the mix, have you though about an Axis? 2014 was when SG was introduced on Axis and performed quite well. T22 probably performed best in 2014, but all preformed pretty good. Depending on your budget you might be able to get a newer Axis with SG. Axis never used the Ford Raptor engine and always had the GM block options.

Thanks ahopkinsVTX.

I have considered Axis. Any used Axis with a Power Wedge is approaching what a decked out 2014 - 2016 LSV 23 sells for with upgraded engine, Power Wedge and Surf Gate. Some even have the Surf Band. Cant image paying $70-$90K for the stripped down interior and dash.

ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks ahopkinsVTX.

I have considered Axis. Any used Axis with a Power Wedge is approaching what a decked out 2014 - 2016 LSV 23 sells for with upgraded engine, Power Wedge and Surf Gate. Some even have the Surf Band. Cant image paying $70-$90K for the stripped down interior and dash.

Styling is a personal preference that’s for sure. Quick search on onlyinbkrds shows a few T22’s under 70k but no power wedge 2. And a few in the low 70’s with PW2. Like this one. 

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2018-Axis-T22-for-sale-Chattanooga-Tennessee-92105.aspx

PW2 is a huge upgrade but if you are willing to go mid to late 2000’s on a malibu with power wedge 1 I wouldn’t rule out demo’ing an axis with the auto set wedge. I surfed my friends 2014 T22 a lot and it had a great wave. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

ahopkinsVTX

Thanks! The salesman at my local dealer picks the A22 as his boat of choice. Probably very similar to the T22. I would imagine the T23 would perform identical to the LSV 23. 

We were surfing 5’ - 10’ off the swim platform on our 21’ boat. I like the idea of a longer, taller wave. Adjustability would also be a huge plus. 

We did demo a 2018 A22 with Power Wedge. I was impressed with the look of the wave. Dealer used a feature that helped the boat get on plane. Not sure if the older Malibu’s have this or not.  

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Mattonspeclake said:

ahopkinsVTX

Thanks! The salesman at my local dealer picks the A22 as his boat of choice. Probably very similar to the T22. I would imagine the T23 would perform identical to the LSV 23. 

We were surfing 5’ - 10’ off the swim platform on our 21’ boat. I like the idea of a longer, taller wave. Adjustability would also be a huge plus. 

We did demo a 2018 A22 with Power Wedge. I was impressed with the look of the wave. Dealer used a feature that helped the boat get on plane. Not sure if the older Malibu’s have this or not.  

Only PW2&3 have the lift function. The original power wedge does not. PW2 started in 2015 for malibu and 2018 for axis. 

15 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks daylorb.

Good point.

Not sure if we would switch sides while surfing or not. Obviously Malibu’s system is much simpler, if we wanted to.

Yes, with the stick-on diverter you can't switch sides while riding.  I personally find switching while riding kind of pointless, but I know others seem to like it - that is the big drawback.