Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ready to pull the trigger on a used LSV 23.

Mattonspeclake

Hello Malibu Crew. 

I need a little help, ok maybe a lot? I sold my Tige R21 and have lake tested, researched and taken lessons on multiple 22'-23' boats. This all started because I hated my Tige and did lesson's on 2017 LSV 23, which my whole family loved. 

I was all set to pull the trigger on a 2015 LSV 23, then came across Go To Surf Assist. Is this a legit system? Can I get a 2004, 2009 or 2012 LSV 23 to perform like a 2017 LSV 23? Not having a boat payment and getting a huge surf wave would be a win in my book. 

Can a Monsoon 340 or 350 handle a sacked out older boat? Will the transom and hull handle the extra weight and force?

I only plan on having whatever I purchase for 5 years, as my son will be off to college then.

Thanks!

I would stay '09+ for the wider beam and subfloor ballast.  Those two boats, '09 and '12, are the same mold.  I would go for the '12 for the better dash and tower.  You can create a great wave with GSA and the right ballast/prop on that motor.  Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Hello Malibu Crew. 

I need a little help, ok maybe a lot? I sold my Tige R21 and have lake tested, researched and taken lessons on multiple 22'-23' boats. This all started because I hated my Tige and did lesson's on 2017 LSV 23, which my whole family loved. 

I was all set to pull the trigger on a 2015 LSV 23, then came across Go To Surf Assist. Is this a legit system? Can I get a 2004, 2009 or 2012 LSV 23 to perform like a 2017 LSV 23? Not having a boat payment and getting a huge surf wave would be a win in my book. 

Can a Monsoon 340 or 350 handle a sacked out older boat? Will the transom and hull handle the extra weight and force?

I only plan on having whatever I purchase for 5 years, as my son will be off to college then.

Thanks!

There is a 2008 23 LSV on this site in classifieds for sale with low hours and the GSA system installed. I would grab it if this is what you are looking for.

I think most will say yes, you can get great results with GSA.   What elevation are you at?  That will help answer the motor question    

Shameless plug - if you want Surfgate, warranty, a little more motor, power wedge II, and the new helm, etc. my 2016 23LSV is also in the classifieds. 

Hethj7 

Great looking boat, just a little more than I’m budgeting. I also picture my 100lb labradoodle destroying that beautiful interior. 

We boat around 900’ above sea level. 

If you are going to go that route, I'd suggest trying one of the stick-on wedges as a first step.  For around $300 you can get a diverter product that should have pretty good results...

'12 hull is identical to the '13 hull that came with Surfgate btw.  I had that boat, I got it to produce an incredible wave with 15" prop, only 500 pnp's, all ballast, 120lbs lead in bow, wedge 60% down.

GSA all the way and IMHO worth the price... allows you to easily switch sides and provide transfers if you are into that...

Edited by kerpluxal

Since we are talking hulls, 2014 was the first new hull designed for the LSV after Surfgate was a known item.  SG was on the 2013 models and I am sure does a great job as well, but 2014 is likely better, as is the 2018 redesign of that.  

Hethj7 

You bring up an interesting point. Malibu seems to be a company that learns from its past. Maybe the 2014 is the way to go. I know my Tige had the Indmar 360R. Same block as the Raptor 410. This engine had great fuel efficiency, in my opinion. But this was the only positive. Who knows maybe longevity too. Yet to be determined. 

The raptor was loud, only likes 93+ octane and had tons of O2 sensor issues. 

7 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

kurpluxal.

Did u nail a 360? 👍👍 that wave looks amazing. Thanks for the video.  Whats your set up? Engine, ballast, motor, etc? 

I had an 07 with GSA......actually the first 23 LSV with GSA and the wave was LEGIT. You find a clean non surf gate 23 for the money, add proper ballast and GSA and you will not be disappointed.

Dealjb 

Are you still running the 2007 LSV 23? If not, why the change. Looks like your wave was better than the 2017 LSV 23 we surfed behind. (Still jealous of your 360. I can go a 180, with a face plant). 

I know of a 2014 for sale with the LS3 corvette motor in it.  

You never answered the question as to what elevation you are at.  But, there are plenty of base motors pushing LSVs out there, whether it be the Raptors starting in 2016 or 350 chevys prior to that. 

16 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Dealjb 

Are you still running the 2007 LSV 23? If not, why the change. Looks like your wave was better than the 2017 LSV 23 we surfed behind. (Still jealous of your 360. I can go a 180, with a face plant). 

That was @kerpluxal wave and video.  I sold mine last winter and have 2018 MB B52 now.  I have always been a Malibu guy from way back but got deal couldn’t walk from.  My old wave is on GSA website, side shot of wave and boat (black and green).   GSA on 23 is awesome but like anything else you have to throw the proper weight at it.  My set up was all stock, 910’s in back lockers, 350’s under both side seats and usually had 200-400lbs of lead in bow (stock 350 tank in bow).   Speed 11.2, wedge a couple clicks from bottom.

Any of the motors are fine if propped right.  I had the 6.0 with 2315 prop.......rpms were  3200 at surf speed.  Have fun with your search!

1 hour ago, Mattonspeclake said:

kurpluxal.

Did u nail a 360? 👍👍 that wave looks amazing. Thanks for the video.  Whats your set up? Engine, ballast, motor, etc? 

Yes lol    thank you... are it on the simple arial but oh well.. I had to pee lol...

I am at sea level

2010 with 350

1100 plug n play in back (does not fill to 1100 ~>900) with 250 subflloor.

I fill 350 on surf side in coffin.

500 mid

900 lbs front (customized front ballast and seats to fit a 1100 fly high triangle)

Wedge dependent on crew size.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/Shane_Dosser/20180729_141556_zps0kharkyn.jpg

IMG_20180421_161721149_zpsgkrqlrcw.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/Shane_Dosser/Mobile Uploads/2018-04/IMG_20180421_192846963_zpsklk8ppsl.jpg

Was going to post rest of ballast pics but photobucket not working 😣

Edited by kerpluxal

Hethj7 

We run about 900’ above sea level. Maybe the 350 is good to go, with a prop upgrade. I’d like to keep the RPM’s down at surf speed. Crazy loud on the R21. We also did not have the fresh air exhaust on our boat. Probably would of helped. 

Thanks dealjb

Sorry for the mix up. I’ve heard the B52’s are awesome. I get the weight thing. My 21’ boat had 2400lbs of factory ballast, I added two 375lb fatsacs, that helped. I’m guessing the Powerwedge is really the game changer. 

That 08 23LSV with GSA in the classifieds is mine (well was mine, sold it today.)  GSA is legit and we loved our wave, very long, tons of push.  The 2008+ 23LSV hull really does well with GSA with minimal tab deployment... so the key is either a boat with GSA installed by Ryan in Texas or GSA installed by someone who understands what is going on (I installed my own but with Ryan's help on the other end of the phone.)  Based on my demos of a 2018 and a 2019 23LSV I prefer GSA over surfgate… simply because GSA isn't as sensitive to how much weight is in the boat and you can adjust the wave shape with GSA... and lastly GSA doesn't have much (if any) impact on steering.    I am happy to answer any questions and we have lots of videos over the years.  I wouldn't hesitate to go with a boat with GSA installed.

12 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Gregtay

Thanks! I would say not having to counter steer is a huge plus, as my wife and 14 year will be driving as well. 

Did you get a equal results goofy and regular? 

WE mainly surf regular and the we had the wave dialed in.  Goofy was maybe a little better and a little more curl at the end but they were about the same.