Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Orangemxz

Black box and dsp connections

Recommended Posts

Orangemxz

For anyone in the know on the 2019 I know the inputs to the amps are the dsp style connector. Does anyone know if that is what is coming off the black box stereo? Or is it rca off the black box to a jumper that has the dsp connector on the end? I did some stereo delete on my 2019 order and I would love to avoid the $100 exile wiring adapter. Just seems like highway robbery to me. The goal is to connect non dsp amps to the factory stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

There are no RCA audio out plugs on the BB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz

Thanks MLA. Do you have any idea what the female amp side connector would be called? If I cant find a better option I'm thinking maybe I just cut and soder some rca into what ever connect that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

The connector manufacturer does not make a mating inline connector, so you have to go with the bulkhead connector, much like whats in the side of the amp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blenderhead

Exile makes proprietary connector -> RCA connector adapters but they are pricey.  Worth it if you don't want to cut up your existing cables....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz

seems like if the bulk head connector MLA is referring is available I won't need to hack up my wires. I just connect some RCAs to the bulkhead connector and have a similar option to the exile but probably for 5% of the price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giesh164
2 hours ago, Orangemxz said:

seems like if the bulk head connector MLA is referring is available I won't need to hack up my wires. I just connect some RCAs to the bulkhead connector and have a similar option to the exile but probably for 5% of the price

If you do this, please post because I ordered a 2019 t23 with only snd pk1 and need to figure out how I’m going to add 2 amplifies. 1 for towers, and 1 5-6 channel for interior and sub 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz

Cant find the connector so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

You don’t say what you deleted. Are you replacing both amps?

The Cabin/Sub amp plug is different than the Tower amp plug. The amps have proprietary speaker plugs as well unless you are cutting them off which will void any warranty you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

Google search using TMC in your search words. A member here made the OEM to RCA conversion, and I believe he noted his connector source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz

Ok thanks. Unfortunately I had to order the MXZ sound pack to get all the options to work with the factory system. I also ordered 1 sub to get the factory to cut the holes etc. I plan to swap both dsp ams for regular syn 6 and rev 10s. So yes I need a connector for both amp connectors.

Edited by Orangemxz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

So you are going to drop thousands on rev 10’s and new amps but $200 for two premade unique wire connectors to keep the factory integration is highway robbery? Pony up man. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay

Somewhat related... if you order with the 23LSV sound pack but no tower speakers/amp what is needed other than an amp speakers and wires? Is it straight forward to hook this all up to the main system as the tower speaker channel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

Any reason you couldnt use a few RCA pigtails and some positaps?

g575RFiF2SW-F.jpg

Posi-tap-Connectors-20-22-Gauge-Wire-Bul

 

it would be totally reversible and nobody would know the wires were tapped unless they knew to look.  Seems like you could do three zones for under $40. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

That’s very possible. A little tricky soldering foil wrapped, shielded signal wires but it’s doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That’s very possible. A little tricky soldering foil wrapped, shielded signal wires but it’s doable. 

I’m ignorant. The black box-to-amp wires are shielded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

I haven't been into one since 2016 since I don't order my boats that way and I don't do my stereos that way any more but, I pulled the Sub signal out of the cabin/sub amp plug to run it to a SD6 for Towers and Sub on that boat. I must of ordered cabin speakers only and did my own sub and towers. Too many boats ago... Anyway IIRC one of the legs on the sub signal was a wire, the other was net like wires with foil wrapped through or around it. That leg was a little more difficult to solder to. 

The adapter plugs are MUCH more user friendly than cutting and soldering and possibly in the right situation, you keep your warranty.

The Cabin/Sub amp is a 14 pin plug, you use 13 of those pins. That's a lot of RCA's you need to graft onto the factory harness. Speaker plugs are Cabins- 8 pins, Sub-4 Pins. I assume you can cut those plugs off and make you own speaker harnesses. There goes your warranty.

The Tower amp is a 8 pin plug, you use 5 of those pins. That's more RCA's to graft onto the harness. Another 4 pin plug for the speakers.

I'm betting if you cut up your harness and need to have your Black Box replaced for some reason by the time you pay out of pocket for that box, you would wish you have purchased adapter plugs so you could have a least a fighting chance of warranting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

Wasnt the 2016 model still the rockford box and amps? 

Im also thinking that current BB harness is short, and there is actually a jumper harness to bridge the distance between the amps and BB. So if any cutting is done at or near the OEM amp connector, its the Malibu supplied jumper, not the Medallion BB. 

I dont recall any foil shielding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie
8 minutes ago, MLA said:

Wasnt the 2016 model still the rockford box and amps? 

Im also thinking that current BB harness is short, and there is actually a jumper harness to bridge the distance between the amps and BB. So if any cutting is done at or near the OEM amp connector, its the Malibu supplied jumper, not the Medallion BB. 

I dont recall any foil shielding.  

I think you are right about the RF system. Too long ago and I have slept since then. I do remember the crazy harness though as that's the only one I did like that.

I don't recall a jumper harness. I haven't looked at my '19 yet. I know they have changed a harness or two coming across the boat from the helm. Some of the Can Bus harnesses were moved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA
15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think you are right about the RF system. Too long ago and I have slept since then. I do remember the crazy harness though as that's the only one I did like that.

I don't recall a jumper harness. I haven't looked at my '19 yet. I know they have changed a harness or two coming across the boat from the helm. Some of the Can Bus harnesses were moved. 

I know what you mean. Im going off limited experience, as I have not gutted a 2017 and newer boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz
10 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

So you are going to drop thousands on rev 10’s and new amps but $200 for two premade unique wire connectors to keep the factory integration is highway robbery? Pony up man. 

it's not the dollar amount it's the idea of being charged $250 for $20 worth of connectors that makes me look for another option. I will buy those if I have to an then nothing ever from Exile again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orangemxz
10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Any reason you couldnt use a few RCA pigtails and some positaps?

g575RFiF2SW-F.jpg

Posi-tap-Connectors-20-22-Gauge-Wire-Bul

 

it would be totally reversible and nobody would know the wires were tapped unless they knew to look.  Seems like you could do three zones for under $40. 

 

 

Is a clean signal possible with this route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
7 hours ago, Orangemxz said:

it's not the dollar amount it's the idea of being charged $250 for $20 worth of connectors that makes me look for another option. I will buy those if I have to an then nothing ever from Exile again.

Supply and demand... there are not very many people buying those, like I said it’s a unique connector. And as Ronnie explained there is a lot pinning and wiring going on. 

Heres a suggestion, pay for a membership here. You’ll gain access to discount shou can use on the rev 10’s and amps. Just an the price of the amp you’ll save enough money to pay back your membership and one connector. You more then save enough on the rev 10’s to pay for the other connector. Or just continue to complain about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

@ahopkinsVTX nailed it on supply and demand. I choked at the cost of the Wetsounds 420 mount, but then as my dealer explained there is little demand and WS can’t order them by the truckload, it made more sense.  

At that point, I was just glad they offered an option even when demand probably is limited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
1 minute ago, hethj7 said:

@ahopkinsVTX nailed it on supply and demand. I choked at the cost of the Wetsounds 420 mount, but then as my dealer explained there is little demand and WS can’t order them by the truckload, it made more sense.  

At that point, I was just glad they offered an option even when demand probably is limited. 

Right, those connectors probably save 4 hours of install time. Maybe not to the OP but 4 hours of my time is well worth $100-200 to go “click” and be done. Oh well. Some one is always going to complain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...