Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

alternator removal?

hawaiianstyln

indmar monsoon 340 2008 - this seems silly but was just trying to remove the alternator and realized on the top bolt has the slide through bolt coupling or sleeve and can't pull the Alt off completely because this sleeve is stuck in between the alternator bracket that is mounted to the engine block.  Is this sleeve/coupling suppose to just slip or fall out after the bolt is removed?  The sleeve is sticking out past the Alt bracket about 1/8th of an inch which is just enough to not have any give to remove the Alt itself.  It's not even enough to get some plyers on either and pull it out.  I can post picks if need be?

never mind I was able to remove the Alt by rotating back and forth and putting some pressure on the back side of the alternator, it finally slipped out of the engine bracket mounts.  This little coupling that is about 1" long was seized in there.  slapped some PB on it and channel locks and finally pulled it out.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.9de0ae9a736c0abd3f55c5d0b5b14ec0.jpg

• 1 year later...

I’m running into the same issue. Amazed you were able to pull it out?  I can’t get mine to budge even with PB on it. I got the old alternator off, but can’t get the new on with this in there. Anything else you did to get it off?

25 minutes ago, Iup37 said:

I’m running into the same issue. Amazed you were able to pull it out?  I can’t get mine to budge even with PB on it. I got the old alternator off, but can’t get the new on with this in there. Anything else you did to get it off?

If you have the alternator off, can't you smack the bushing out from the inside?

24 minutes ago, Iup37 said:

I tried as best I could, not much room to work with. Wouldn’t move. 

Stick a crowbar in there with a block to space it right, and pry against the back mount flange.

If that doesn't work, use a torch and heat the bracket to release the bushing, then pry it out.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, justgary said:

Stick a crowbar in there with a block to space it right, and pry against the back mount flange.

If that doesn't work, use a torch and heat the bracket to release the bushing, then pry it out.

yah luckily I didn't have to use a torch and that bushing eventually came out with a hammer and a punch.  I did leave some PB on it overnight before I was able to tap that bushing out.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back to life... how did you get that bushing out? Or the alternator to fit through the bracket and bushing?

EDIT: I'm going to try this trick shortly..

Edited by 08Wakesetter08
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

We have been struggling with that sleeve all afternoon. I was actually trying to push it through but your idea makes much more sense. The devil is in the details. That sleeve was the one thing I had not seen a post about. Thanks.