Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter LX Questions

das1998

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Sunsetter LX. I wanted to know if there is a way to decode the serial number to see what options the boat came with. I tried Calling Malibu but there system does not go back that far. It has a little wear on the hull about 6-8" from the sand bar that I want to repair and a decent scrath on the side. It has a wedge sytem which is nice and a Monster MT1 Tower.  Any help is appreciated. What I am looking to find out is:

The Steering is a Rotary drum and is lose, an wobbles is there an upgrade or where can you buy a replacement since it is discontinued

Does it have the HDS System, how do you tell if it is working properly

The rudder has a bit over in 1/8 of play up and down and around is that normal?

Is there a replacement rub rail kit available?

Thanks

SN: MB2W6721G697

Edited by das1998
More info

Check bakesonline.com or skidim.com for parts. On the steering that boat probably needs a new steering rack and cable.

That boat will have an HDS. To see if it’s in OK shape you can fill the bilge with water while the boat is on the trailer. If water leaks out the hole where the propeller shaft comes through the hull, the HDS needs to be repaired. 

The rudder movement could be 2 things. The retaining collar may have loosened but more likely, the rudder box is worn out and needs to be replaced. Skidim has replacement parts. Worst case is the rudder shaft is worn too and you have to replace the rudder and the rudder box. 

You can get rub rail kits. Bakes or skidim are possible sources. 

Lastly, you do not want to use clear coat on the hull. Use gelcoat, you can do spot repairs but color matching is tricky. I’ve had scratches fixed but paid a professional and was happy with the results.