Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loctite 271 (red) or 242 (Blue)

wakesetterDD

Manual tells me I need to put Loctite on the bolts for the sea water pump after I reinstall them.  Anybody actually do this or prefer either red or blue loctite?

I typically don't and haven't in the past and haven't had any issues, but YRMV. I don't because it can strip the brass threads on the screws which causes other headaches especially if they are hard to get to. If you go that route go blue it is not as strong a bond IME.

• Like 1

Blue if you want to take it off again.  I've never used any on the water pump cover but it can't hurt and may help.  Don't tighten the bolts too much or you can bend the cover over the gasket.

• Like 2

Red is permanent, and will require a lot of heat to break free.  But I wouldn't use either. 

If you want to make sure the screws don't vibrate out, get a can of aviation shellac (permatex form-a-gasket) from your local auto parts store.  Brush a little on the threads and install.  The stuff is also great for preventing stuck threads due to corrosion.

Seems like they tighten perfectly the cover  against the gasket with a 1/4 drive nut driver  , seems unnecessary unless they have been damaged on prior impeller changes 

Edited by granddaddy55