Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cleaners

What are you guys using this year?  We've had good luck with the Babe's Boat Bright if you wipe down at the ramp.  In my experience, once you get dried water spots, none of spot removers touch those until we started using Bad A$$ boat cleaner.  It does seem to strip your wax but works amazingly well for those spots that are baked on.  For the vinyl, Babe's Seat Saver does the trick.

I've never used the Boat Bling products but always heard good things about Hot Sauce (other than the smell).  

I used the Hot Sauce last year and will do the same this year.  It works awesome even for the dried water spots.  I am getting the Ceramic Pro put on before I take my boat out in the spring.  I was told the Hot Sauce compliments the Ceramic Pro nicely.  Having the Ceramic by itself should make the boat way easier to clean.

FWIW, 2019 Owners manual. I have used the 303 products on everything for years and have seen good results, however...

APPROVED CLEANERS FOR MALIBU UPHOLSTERY

303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner

All Purpose Vinyl Cleaner

Babe’s Boat Care Wash

Coverage Plus Germicidal Wipes

Fantastik Antibacterial All Purpose Cleaner-Heavy Duty

Formula 409 Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner

Iosso Marine Products Mold & Mildew Stain Remover (in dilution of 1 scoop [1/2 oz] per quart of water)

Above are all recommended for use, ONLY if diluted per the manufacturer’s instructions.

DO NOT USE ANY PRODUCT NOT LISTED HEREIN.

Avoid using ArmorAll or

similar types of rubber-shine

products. These will actually

accelerate deterioration of the product, rather than

protecting it. Such damage is not covered under warranty.

Interesting.  What product is "Babe's boat care wash"?  They just have a seat soap and seat saver.  It's really surprising that no other boat-specific cleaners would be mentioned, but that Malibu would say harsh general cleaners like 409 and 303 are ok?!

18 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Interesting.  What product is "Babe's boat care wash"?  They just have a seat soap and seat saver.  It's really surprising that no other boat-specific cleaners would be mentioned, but that Malibu would say harsh general cleaners like 409 and 303 are ok?!

I don't think the 303 cleaner is much of a harsh cleaner.  But 409 is toxic!  One place I lived at in college had a lot of cockroaches, and we would spray it directly on them and they would die within seconds.  

It wouldn't surprise me if Malibu went to Boat Bling and Babe's and said, 'if you pay us $$$$, we will say to use your product in our owner's manual.  They said to pound sand and here is what we get.  

Here it is straight from the owner's manual.  I am still trying to figure out what 'All Purpose vinyl cleaner' is.  It is a horrible marketing campaign if it is a specific product, because it doesn't come up  when you google it.  I think that means pretty well any all purpose vinyl cleaner, but it seems horribly vague for Malibu to put something like that in the owner's manual.  Malibu Fail in my book.  

20190216_085155.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

I had the same thought that money must be changing hands to get Babe's name on the list.  That being said, it's hard to believe they are making deals with companies like SCJ that produce Fantastik...but also that a product that is a grease remover for kitchen alliances is good for boat vinyl especially when the product itself is labeled for use on "hard, non-porous" surfaces.

https://www.target.com/p/scrubbing-bubbles-with-fantastik-heavy-duty-all-purpose-cleaner-fresh-scent-32oz/-/A-12972770?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&fndsrc=tmnv&DFA=1&CPNG=PLA_0060H00000moYNwQAM-SCJ-2019-Home+Cleaning-1H+Search-Flight&adgroup=PLA_Home+Cleaning&LID=700000001393753pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9026841&gclid=CjwKCAiA767jBRBqEiwAGdAOr_3VvsgQG6R4W3f9r_WfUmgepDBIzGFAQV4Z5UIh_GYTrhrUtq0ahRoCgaYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's my theory.   Different cleaners work better based on mineral content of the lake you boat on.  Most of my buddies out west swear by hot sauce.  Works like crap for me.  I like babes.   Any freaking geologists on the forum?

Save the money.  Here's what I do and everyone in our crew gave it a shot and swears by it now as well:

• 50% distilled water
  • 25% white vinegar
  • 25% quick wax - I'ved used Mequires, Eagle One and most recently by Griots Quick Wax by the quart.

Depending on where you live you can tweak the formula.  I actually use very little vinegar where we are.

What is mild but works good to get light mold mildew out of the textured vinyl? I have a 2001 but the vinyl is in great shape aside from the dirt and mildew. I had used babes vinyl cleaner last year but dont think it did a very good job of cleaning. I liked the smell though. I dont care for 303 protectant. Too slippery for me. 

54 minutes ago, williemon said:

What is mild but works good to get light mold mildew out of the textured vinyl? I have a 2001 but the vinyl is in great shape aside from the dirt and mildew. I had used babes vinyl cleaner last year but dont think it did a very good job of cleaning. I liked the smell though. I dont care for 303 protectant. Too slippery for me. 

Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce

This is what we use on our seats. I've never tried it on mildew but it says it works on that too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, williemon said:

Star brite

On 2/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, Ronnie said:

Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce

This is what we use on our seats. I've never tried it on mildew but it says it works on that too.

This.  I put that S*** on everything just like Franks Red Hot Sauce.  

I’ve tried it all, LA’s totally awesome etc. I like Vinyl Sayce because you don’t have to rinse it   Many similar cleaners out there   

It’s amazing on almost every surface.   I always have some on hand.  Keep it in the boat house and some in my garage at home.  

It works great on carpet, leather, upholstery,  and plastic molding in the truck Tahoe and boat   

If your stain doesn’t wipe out with just a microfiber, spray it on, use a brush to scrub and then wipe off with a micro fiber.    It cleans well.  Had a buddy with some not so clean upholstery, had a spot of something on it, sprayed the vinyl sauce on it, scrubbed a little with a brush wipes off and you could see the difference between the spot I cleaned and the rest of the seat.  

Follow it up with 303 protectant or boat blings protectant.  

My ‘06 upholstery is original looks new. 

Edited by NCVride