Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to boating...knowing what you know now, what would you recommend?

redsoxfan84

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, Falko said:

4. Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.

5. No matter how much you yell at the boat, it will only back up in one direction.

i laughed at this because, well, it's spot on.   the backing will get frustrating at times, especially if fighting current and wind that the boat does not like to "cooperate".  learning the approach angle required to come alongside your local dock/launch will remedy this.  always come to the dock into the current, not with it.  

it's also very important, IMO, to tell the people in your crew to not try to stop the boat from hitting something by trying to get between the boat and whatever it is heading towards.  these boats are much heavier, and therefore have much more momentum at similar speeds, than the boats most of us grew up around.  a scratch might ruin your day, but a broken arm/wrist/ankle will ruin your summer.  also, don't jump from boat to dock.  a miss can have terrible results.

nothing can disappoint and ruin a day at the lake like the unexpected.....  So plan for the unexpected...     now  you cant plan for everything.. But you can at least plan for these two things going wrong at some point in time.   

Most folks dont even look to see if they have all  the necessary  equipment  to change your trailor   tire.      And most the rest  that do    think they have eveything they need never  actually test it to make sure it all really works  

1.   Test yourself.....  walk out to you truck and trailer right now... and using only what  you have in  your  truck and trailer  (not in your garage)   ...  see if you can  successfully  change your trailor tire.  I know it sounds simple... but i bet you have at least one difficulty i list below... 

I've seen flat spares,   lug nuts rusted on that connot be removed.   Lug wrenches that only fit the truck but not the trailor.  lug wreches that dont have a socket deep enough,     Jacks that cant lift the weight of the boat.    Jacks that wont lift high enough,     And spares that  could not be removed because the trailer had rusted. 

2.   Do the same thing  with your Prop.       imagine you have a rope  jammed up in your prop...  and then it hit a rock ...      now  try to  fix and change  your prop  underwater.    The lauch ramp could be miles away....      ( do this close to shore so dont lose anything if you drop it)      youl'l need googles,   a knife,     wooden block,   prop removal tool,  cresent wrench, pliers,    Anchor,   spare prop, spare cotter pin... 

I

• Like 1

Tell the girls if they are going to paint their toe nails to do it 2 to 3 days before boating.  It took me weeks to figure out where the odd color streaks on the upholstery were coming from.

It quickly became a rule on my boat.

• Like 3

I forgot an important thing learned,

11. While doing water sports at night, it should be noted that firing a flare toward a downed skier to mark their location could have adverse consequences.

14 minutes ago, Falko said:

I forgot an important thing learned,

11. While doing water sports at night, it should be noted that firing a flare toward a downed skier to mark their location could have adverse consequences.

😂😂😂, yes Apple watches or glow sticks and turning off the surf lights is a great alternative 

If you plan to drop an anchor and do some swimming, hook yourself up (see what I did there) with the proper set up. Especially if you hang on rocky-bottomed, deep lakes. 

Get a Digger 15-lb anchor, the proper length of quality 5/8" anchor rope for the depth of your lake, and while you are at it, get yourself a Danik-Hook to use on your anchor rope. You'll spend about $200 for the set, but you will thank me later. 

• Like 1
On 2/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Crap is going to happen. 

So much this. I spent years restoring my 86 Supra and was anal about everything, and it wasn't THAT great! Just got my 2010 LSV last year and while we were careful, if someone spilled a beer, or the seats got dirty. meh. It happens. 
Real race cars have stone chips.

• Like 2

Before you launch, make sure the plugs are in.  Check twice, have someone else check or ask.  We all do that....

But, we all have a few stories about watching the water slowly rise, inside the boat.  Don’t worry you will have some soon enough.