Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to boating...knowing what you know now, what would you recommend?

redsoxfan84

Hi Everyone, I just completed the order on my new 23 LSV. I am excited! I grew up boating with my family and I am excited to start boating with my kids, but outside of the basics of getting life jackets, buoys, etc. I thought I would ask this crowd what some lessons learned / must have equipment that you would recommend for me. Thanks in advance! #wisdomofthecrowd

Congratulations on your new boat!

You have come to the correct place for advice.  We are experts at spending your money 💰!

First off go to the tabs at the top of the page and familiarize yourself with that section.

You will need....

Anchor(s), boards of various types, pool noodles to float with and other assorted water toys.

A tool bag, so you can fix on the fly....  I also have a “boat box” that has all sorts of parts for the boat and assorted water sports equipment.

Boat care stuff, wax and wipes, buffers, polishing stuff....

I will let others add to the list....

Edited by dlb
  • Like 2

my suggestion is to have a friend help you learn how to launch and retrieve your boat.    Just guessing maybe your dad did it when you were growing up.  Practice it on a cold/off day so no one is around at the ramp.   There is a nack to each boat at slow speeds, reversing and how deep to put the trailer in (both on launch and retrieve), etc.  

Don't foget to get some bumpers to protect your boat from other boats and the dock at the ramp.

• Like 2

1st aid kit, whistle, flare gun if on big lake standard safety list.

I'd recommend getting enough life jackets for your boat capacity incase u pick up some fiends along the way...

Dedicated phone chargers to stay in the boat 

Small plastic bin with cleaning supplies and few rags/ towels to Clean on fly.

Congrats!! 

• Like 1

Buy used.  You will bang up your first boat and it hurts a lot lesson on a used one.  

Learn to turn your own wrenches, saves time and money over dealing with a dealer.

Practice launching in an empty launch before going out when it is busy. 

On 2/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, SkiPablo said:

my suggestion is to have a friend help you learn how to launch and retrieve your boat.    Just guessing maybe your dad did it when you were growing up.  Practice it on a cold/off day so no one is around at the ramp.   There is a nack to each boat at slow speeds, reversing and how deep to put the trailer in (both on launch and retrieve), etc.  

Don't foget to get some bumpers to protect your boat from other boats and the dock at the ramp.

I bought a brand new 2010 247 when I was fairly new to boating and the first year or two, I banged it up a bit. Definitely learn how to launch and take out of the water. Also, never beach it; use the anchors and have plenty of rope and fenders to tie up at the dock.  

• Like 1

My wife got "me" into boating because she grew up on a boat and loves it.  "We have a much more enjoyable time now and sometimes I just have to let crap go lol". But man, that OCD monkey is hard to get off of my back!

ahopkins22LSV
15 minutes ago, wdr said:

My wife got "me" into boating because she grew up on a boat and loves it.  "We have a much more enjoyable time now and sometimes I just have to let crap go lol". But man, that OCD monkey is hard to get off of my back!

I agree. But I've learned to table it then just let my OCD monkey take care of it later.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2019 at 11:14 PM, redsoxfan84 said:

I did a custom order with Malibu since we are moving from TX to UT next year I wanted to get a boat with a bigger engine. Should be done first week of April. I will post pics as soon as I get it :)

Congratulations @redsoxfan84!!  You're going to enjoy your summer.  You've received some stellar advise thus far.  As suggested by @Woodski, do some searching here on the forum.  There's plenty of information to assist you.  @Falkois right on....no cheetos, no cheezits, no colored drinks......JMHO on that issue.  

Post pics when she arrives and congrats again. 

• Like 1

Most dealers will offer to take you out in the your boat for an orientation, do it. Leave the kids at home, bring the wife, take lots of notes, ask lots of questions. 

Review your boating laws, things may have changed since you were out last.

Read the treads on this forum if not daily a few days a week, I've learned a lot from these guys.

Great info so far I'd add a multi-pack of cheap life jackets for when friends come out.

Congrats on your purchase! 

• Like 1
On 2/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, redsoxfan84 said:

I did a custom order with Malibu since we are moving from TX to UT next year I wanted to get a boat with a bigger engine. Should be done first week of April. I will post pics as soon as I get it :)

Call me if you come to St. George.  

Try to find a place to put your boat that makes it very easy to just hook up and go.  Ideally in your own garage.   If going to the lake means that you have to prepare a lunch, make a long drive to the storage area and back, swap out the hitch on the truck, and on and on, you will be less likely to go.  I can take my family to the lake with 20 minutes notice, easily.  And I can put the boat in the garage, open the hatches to dry and be off to my next activity in 20 minutes also.  People stop going when it is too much trouble to do quick day trips.  

• Like 3

adding to the list:

- box of fuses

- snorkel

- good pocket knife capable of cutting rope quickly

- hat and sunglasses that stay on the boat (you'll thank me when you forget both)

• Like 3

-Remember to to install the main hull plug and the rear plug before you put your boat in the water. (Almost sank my boat)

-Your touch screen start code may reset over the winter so double check that before you drop your boat in the water. Have your key on standby. (Almost sank by boat)

-Make a cover out of some kind of fabric to cover up or touch screen at night. I attached mine with Velcro strips. It is very bright even in night mode. You will be able to see much better in the dark.

-No goldfish crackers on board

-Practice docking and leaving the dock a lot. Get comfortable with the direction the boat will take you in reverse.

-Get a stack of $5 dollar bills for tipping throughout the summer.

-Goggles and a knife for when your rope gets caught in your prop. (It will happen)

-Always have plenty of dry towels

-Have a couple blankets on board for the kids at night.

-A 500lbs-750lbs bow bag or lead 

-Have fun with your family!

• Like 2