Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Exhaust question...

Cmb396

Just a quick idea if anyone has tried this or not. Is there any reason you cannot take a turn down tip and extend 3-4" to get it down into the water for each exhaust port? 

I am looking at all these elaborate FAE systems, and apart from possible structural integrity, I really don't see the point of all the piping, snaking it up, around, or thru the wedge.

Thoughts?

ahopkins22LSV

It would a ton of drag, probably enough to do damage over time to the gel. Also, I don’t know this for sure but I assume that the routing and the shaping of FAE or the malibu surf pipe is to limit as much drag as possible, disrupt the wake as little as possible, and not “scoop” water up into the exhaust. 

I know it isn’t the prettiest thing in the world but how they have it developed is pretty much proven. 

40 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It would a ton of drag, probably enough to do damage over time to the gel. Also, I don’t know this for sure but I assume that the routing and the shaping of FAE or the malibu surf pipe is to limit as much drag as possible, disrupt the wake as little as possible, and not “scoop” water up into the exhaust. 

I know it isn’t the prettiest thing in the world but how they have it developed is pretty much proven. 

Drag was my initial thought, however, when ballast is full, my exhaust ports are nearly under water as is, and they are just flappers. I wouldn't think you'd have to extend it very far at all to get it below water levels when surfing. Not even sure it would need to hang lower than the transom? 

All just thoughts. Was looking at upgrading my WS Icons to REvs, and FAE was mentioned to me, and started looking into it. I will admit, the FAE system is ugly AF, but definitely functional.

ahopkins22LSV

I think they will need to be below the transom for sure. Even fully ballasted at surf speeds the water is being forced down then it comes back up so anything above the transom is going to be out of the water. 

Yea, yall are right. Just went out to the building and looked it over more closely. I don't necessarily think it will create too much drag for the transom wall, but the most likely for the way it's mounted. The 4 #12 screws wouldn't hold up to the drag created.

Oh well, was just a thought. Thanks for the input.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:58 AM, Cmb396 said:

Yea, yall are right. Just went out to the building and looked it over more closely. I don't necessarily think it will create too much drag for the transom wall, but the most likely for the way it's mounted. The 4 #12 screws wouldn't hold up to the drag created.

Oh well, was just a thought. Thanks for the input.

You could get away with drag if you modified and mounted properly.   Biggest difference is the center pipe is in front of the prop.... prop wash makes FAE work.

Drag isn't the real problem, wake disruption is.  I think the main reason they inject behind the prop is to keep from disturbing the wake any more than necessary. 

@Cmb396, play around with it.  You might figure out something new.  But realize that you also want to prevent forcing water into your exhaust in reverse, so you have to design that in as well.  

I'm gonna go with the FAE Y system. My biggest hang up was how fugly the standard kit was, but then I stumbled on to the Y kit, which looks much much nicer. Thanks for all the input tho!