Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is boat show pricing real?

Yeaitsslo

At a boat show.  Tempted to make a deal but I’m kinda waiting to see what hits the used market.  

Quoted $69k for a a20 with trailer. Can post the build sheet to check.  Msrp on sheet is around $82k 

It's real.. you can give them that much cash and they will give you a boat :-O.  If you mean can you do better... well I am sure you can always do better than the first price they give you, but as everyone has stated that really comes down to the dealer, everyone is different.

Go have a few beers at the show and then go back and buy a new boat!

ahopkins22LSV

Check out this thread. The last two pages explain it pretty well. Here is the cliff notes:

If you get the actual msrp sheet from the malibu portal and a price agreement (percentage off) that msrp then yes it is real. But if you are working off numbers on a dealer made msrp sheet then the msrp is likely inflated.

ahopkins22LSV

One other thing, there is always going to be someone who got a better price (allegedly) so don’t make that your number one priority. Even if you get a boat for what it actually costs malibu to make one, the next Joe is going to tell you that he got it for free. Work the deal off of the msrp sheet from the portal and make the deal that YOU are happy with. Use the percent off that people tell you here as a baseline. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SomeYeahoo said:

I'm always amazed at a boat show. That is a marketing coup. I mean, people are paying money to come and be sold stuff. What a great business.

Well people are paying the venue not the dealers...

buyer bennefit is most OEM supplier dealers under the same roof. Personally I know it would be a lot more driving if I wanted to hit the big 3 dealers let alone top 5.

plus there are always the fishing and ATV / camper dealers as well. Almost every toy a boy or girl could want under 1 roof. And all for $6-$8 admission with your dealer ticket discount or whopping $12-$15 full price. 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, SomeYeahoo said:

I'm always amazed at a boat show. That is a marketing coup. I mean, people are paying money to come and be sold stuff. What a great business.

Sams club and Costco come to mind.  And Amazon.  

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Stevo said:

Well people are paying the venue not the dealers...

buyer bennefit is most OEM supplier dealers under the same roof. Personally I know it would be a lot more driving if I wanted to hit the big 3 dealers let alone top 5.

plus there are always the fishing and ATV / camper dealers as well. Almost every toy a boy or girl could want under 1 roof. And all for $6-$8 admission with your dealer ticket discount or whopping $12-$15 full price. 

:plus1:

Dealers pay a lot of money to be there as well. If they don’t sell, they can easily loose money. 

11 hours ago, SomeYeahoo said:

I guess - paid a whole $10 for 2 tickets ;)

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I guess - paid a whole $10 for 2 tickets ;)

This and the excitement of watching my son at his first boat show rip his hands from ours and run with the type of enthusiasm only a toddler has.... it was priceless! He threw a tantrum when it was time to leave... flat out on the ground balling.. I wanted to join him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, jcon44 said:

This and the excitement of watching my son at his first boat show rip his hands from ours and run with the type of enthusiasm only a toddler has.... it was priceless! He threw a tantrum when it was time to leave... flat out on the ground balling.. I wanted to join him...

Mine did the same.  Came home and told mom we were getting the G.  He decided that was the boat since it was on and he could control the interior rgbs.  Hard to explain to a 3 year old that the boat was NOT coming with us.

I sold wellcrafts at a Dallas boat show along time ago for a friend who was a dealer. It was hard work.  I didn’t realize that the target mark was a couple, no kids, strolling thru at random without a thought in the world that they were about to buy a boat. After that re-direction I managed to sell one earning $350 for days and days of work, paid months later.  I still have a thing for the scarab.  

• Like 1