Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar Ecoboost

hunter77ah

My wife drove the 18 eco Stang snd immediately said , “Dog” and bought  a GT vert 10 speed

its a 4 cylinder , now 3,5 or 2.7 sixer would have been a different animal in that car with  a manual 

no way it’s got what it takes to push all that weight

probably perfect for s runabout that would have a mercruiser in-line 6

Edited by granddaddy55

Probably a nice fit.  We all wanted low end diesel performance and the EB to me feels like a diesel at the low end (well, at least earlier diesels, not the 1000 ft-lb monsters of today).  But, 350 ft-lbs and 310 HP seems underwhelming.  

It could be the next move for ski tugs?  should be a big drop in weight. All I can say is even the 2.0L is a very nice drive in our MKC.  I want to see the V6's in a boat.

16 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I don't get it.  Might be a good engine but I would be concerned that it really can be used under boost all the time, which is what will be needed in an inboard/v-drive.

Completely agree. Also, will you see any fuel savings if it's under boost in those conditions?

Many turbo diesel boats deal with it well, but this is a different beast. I certainly wouldn't be an early adopter, but I have an open mind.

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Hard to tell from the picture where the turbo lives, but I wonder how all the heat will be handled?  Also curious if there is any issue with water dripping on a turbo case from the sunpad area?

Turbos have been in boats for a long time. The turbo is water cooled and the exhaust manifolds are still jacketed, just like any other boat. A turbo blanket helps too.

Edited by boardjnky4
14 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I want to see the new v6 eco boost in the raptor in a boat. That would be sweet

2.3l seems tiny. Definitely not for our kind of boat.

I had thought it was a V6 ecoboost. Now seeing it's the 2.3L. The website lists a 93 octane requirement too. NO DICE.

14 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I had thought it was a V6 ecoboost. Now seeing it's the 2.3L. The website lists a 93 octane requirement too. NO DICE.

Have no idea on the calibration but we run regular in all of our Ecos. and they still perform very well. I looked at the 2018 Navigator but that also asked for premium but It can be run on a lower grade. I am sure you will not get the numbers advertised with premium but not bad ether.

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

Have no idea on the calibration but we run regular in all of our Ecos. and they still perform very well. I looked at the 2018 Navigator but that also asked for premium but It can be run on a lower grade. I am sure you will not get the numbers advertised with premium but not bad ether.

Indmar says 93 right on the website. If your engine recommends 93, then you really should use it. I know the Focus RS (which uses this motor) calls for 93. Especially in demanding cases, you're just asking for problems.

image.thumb.png.f70388fb1ae5379af96c8910e10445b5.png

Edited by boardjnky4

I'd bet the new Indmar eco boost will be pushed more as an alternative for the very similar BRP jet engines, like in the Chaparral Vortex, Glastron, or Scarab 19'-24' jet boats, than it would be as a V8 vdrive surf boat alternative engine.