Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV 10 questions...

Cmb396

I've searched and searched, and from what I can gather, and WS SD2 is a good amp for powering 4 REV 10s? Correct?

Also, are the bimini mod brackets needed to run 10's? and is there any way to run them on the G3 tower shelf without the $300 brackets?

I bought 4 Icon 8s 2 years ago powered by a Syn DX2, and just have never been overly happy with them. They sound amazing in cabin, but at surf distance and for floating, beaching, they just arent getting it done for me.

So was thinking about going with the rev 10's this summer. Thanks for any info!

1 hour ago, Cmb396 said:

and WS SD2 is a good amp for powering 4 REV 10s? Correct?

And so is the Syn-DX2.3HP

1 hour ago, Cmb396 said:

Also, are the bimini mod brackets needed to run 10's? and is there any way to run them on the G3 tower shelf without the $300 brackets?

Depends on the bimini. The factory Malibu shelf is not wide enough to accommodate the wider 10" pod, so the best option is to remove the shelf and go with the adapter side mounts. 

1 hour ago, Cmb396 said:

I bought 4 Icon 8s 2 years ago powered by a Syn DX2, and just have never been overly happy with them. They sound amazing in cabin, but at surf distance and for floating, beaching, they just arent getting it done for me.

Have you worked with your dealer to make sure everything is set properly? The Syn-DX2 and 2 pair of 8" coaxial is a great pairing for surf and party cove.  

10 hours ago, MLA said:

And so is the Syn-DX2.3HP

Depends on the bimini. The factory Malibu shelf is not wide enough to accommodate the wider 10" pod, so the best option is to remove the shelf and go with the adapter side mounts. 

Have you worked with your dealer to make sure everything is set properly? The Syn-DX2 and 2 pair of 8" coaxial is a great pairing for surf and party cove.  

Thanks for the reply MLA! You actually helped me with the icon decision when I bought those.

Yes, I have had it back to the dealer for tuning and setup. Crazy thing about these icons is, at the shop, or in the driveway, they sound phenomenal!! On the water surfing, not the greatest as far as volume. As for cove listening, my buddies  boats with JL 7.7s puts them to shame, and 8.8s, not even comparable. Not that I care about being the loudest,  it's mainly the surf, and the kids cant hear it while tubing...which seems to be taking over our water days the older they get!! Uggg.

I've surfed my friends boat with the 7.7s, and they sound much better than the icons at that distance. I'd go with those or the 8.8s, I just can't stand the conehead looking pod they are in, ugly AF.

Somethings not right. One speaker is not magically louder then another due to its brand. The 7.7 is a little smaller then the Icon-8 and the Icon and 8.8 are both 8" speakers with nearly identical effective cone area. Slight difference in the tweeter size though. Depending on the specific 7.7 model, it may actually have a smaller tweeter then the Icon-8. So all 3 of the these models should be comparable in output. The Icon-8 and 8.8 are very similar in power handling, So unless those 8.8 are being driven with tremendously more wattage, there should not be a large gap in volume between them. That amount of wattage would actually be pushing the 8.8 to its thermal capacity. 

2 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

Thanks for the reply MLA! You actually helped me with the icon decision when I bought those.

Yes, I have had it back to the dealer for tuning and setup. Crazy thing about these icons is, at the shop, or in the driveway, they sound phenomenal!! On the water surfing, not the greatest as far as volume. As for cove listening, my buddies  boats with JL 7.7s puts them to shame, and 8.8s, not even comparable. Not that I care about being the loudest,  it's mainly the surf, and the kids cant hear it while tubing...which seems to be taking over our water days the older they get!! Uggg.

I've surfed my friends boat with the 7.7s, and they sound much better than the icons at that distance. I'd go with those or the 8.8s, I just can't stand the conehead looking pod they are in, ugly AF.

Just curious.  Is your Bimini deployed while you're trying to hear them surfing?  That will absolutely reflect sound away from the surfer if they're mounted up higher.  For grins wrap up the bimini and go for a set.

Also a FAE is a far cheaper solution. I’ve got two pair of icons and I’ve also had two pair of Rev10s. The Icons no doubt have less output than even a single pair of properly powered Rev10s, BUT people behind my boat have no problem hearing the music while surfing or tubing. I can tell because I can see the kids singing along. 

My bet is that you are having a hard time getting the speakers to overcome your exhaust noise. Reduce that with an FAE and sound improves dramatically without inducing certain hearing loss from two pair of Rev10s. 

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Also a FAE is a far cheaper solution. I’ve got two pair of icons and I’ve also had two pair of Rev10s. The Icons no doubt have less output than even a single pair of properly powered Rev10s, BUT people behind my boat have no problem hearing the music while surfing or tubing. I can tell because I can see the kids singing along. 

My bet is that you are having a hard time getting the speakers to overcome your exhaust noise. Reduce that with an FAE and sound improves dramatically without inducing certain hearing loss from two pair of Rev10s. 

Good point. No, I just have standard exhaust, and I will admit exhaust note is very loud. MLA has given me some great tips for tuning that I will work with my installer on, and this may be a viable solution as well. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Just curious.  Is your Bimini deployed while you're trying to hear them surfing?  That will absolutely reflect sound away from the surfer if they're mounted up higher.  For grins wrap up the bimini and go for a set.

Sometimes, just depends on the sun. However, I haven't noticed any difference with it being out or not.

I ran two pair of Rev10s powered real well on my 2011 MB, which was straight-piped. Super loud. Put on FAE and it was like my stereo power had doubled. Plus it’s WAY cheaper that the $4-5k you are proposing to drop. 

49 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

Good point. No, I just have standard exhaust, and I will admit exhaust note is very loud. MLA has given me some great tips for tuning that I will work with my installer on, and this may be a viable solution as well. Thanks!

Sometimes, just depends on the sun. However, I haven't noticed any difference with it being out or not.

That's good.  When I first put my M880 pods on the tower I worked really hard to get them up as high as possible to please the wife.  Even with an FAE while surfing it was hard to hear them well at all.  One day I took the bimini down because I was going to tow it to the dealer the next day.  We went out surfing and I was blown away at how much louder it was.  We stopped, put it back up, and went back to surfing.  It definitely attentuated the sound.  I could crouch down and drift right up on the transom and get below the plane of the bimini and you could hear the volume coming and going as I stood and crouched.  It's not earth shattering, but it really made an impression on me.  Later I tuned it to get the most of the SD2 powering them since it was overkill.  And they sounded okay while surfing.  Definitely audible.  Later I bought a second pair and put them over the bimini.  Amazingly clear sound at all times.  The looks aren't for everyone, but I like it.  But most importantly that whole, "blasting people in the cabin" problem went away.  I made the bimini work for me instead of against me.

MLA's tips are very good.  An FAE or surf pipe is amazing as well for getting the sound floor down.  I had one on my old '01 and it was worth the trouble to install.

17 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I ran two pair of Rev10s powered real well on my 2011 MB, which was straight-piped. Super loud. Put on FAE and it was like my stereo power had doubled. Plus it’s WAY cheaper that the $4-5k you are proposing to drop. 

Looked up FAE pipes, and, ummm, how did you get over the aesthetics of it?! lol. That is one not very good looking piece.

Got me to thinking tho, and I havent gone out to look at it yet, but why can't you just have some turn downs fabbed by an exhaust shop to get the exhaust down into the water? 

5 hours ago, MLA said:

Yeah, and rudders are ugly too :whistle:

4 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

lol, good point fellas!

Just went back and looked at the FAE pipes. I was looking at the orig 3 pc design that looks like poo imo (no offense to anyone that has it). The Y design looks really nice tho, and I did not realize that was an option til I saw one on google images. Gonna go with that piece.