Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you dump your ballast while underway?

BigCreek

I empty all the time at speed.  In fact, with the discharge pump at the rear of the tanks, it gets more of the water out.  The alternative is to stop at the top of the ramp and turn on the pumps again, which is fine when the ramp isn't busy, but seems taboo when people are trying to get around you.  

define "underway".  I empty all the time at "one click" forward on the throttle with no issues.  As a couple have said, it allows full discharge of all the water in the tanks.

what would be the maximum speed you could dump and fill?

ie say you finish from going surfing with all ballast full to a quick change over to a intermediate wakeboarder with say only rear tanks full for example.

ahopkins22LSV

Depends on your pumps right? With aireater pumps they can run dry for a bit and it won’t hurt them so I’ll fill and dump underway. Zero risk to dump underway and I guess you might be waisting full time if you are going too fast for the pumps to suck up water.

If you have inpeller style pumps you don’t want to rub those dry so only risk I see for dumping underway would be that you finish draining and don’t realize it and run them dry burning up the impeller. Probably more risk for running dry filling while underway. 

Just now, AussieSkier said:

what would be the maximum speed you could dump and fill?

ie say you finish from going surfing with all ballast full to a quick change over to a intermediate wakeboarder with say only rear tanks full for example.

I generally cruise to and from the dock at 28-30. No issue filling or dumping at that speed. 

If you commute to your riding spot, why not get a head start filling on the way?

I usually surf last in the family. When I bail out for the last time and my wife turns to get me, I pat my head indicating I’m done. She immediately hits “go home” and before she’s even picked me up the water begins to dump. By the time I’m back in the boat, dried off, caught my breath, and back in the drivers seat, the PnP bags are mostly empty. No issue letting the rest drain while on plane.  

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I generally cruise to and from the dock at 28-30. No issue filling or dumping at that speed. 

If you commute to your riding spot, why not get a head start filling on the way?

I usually surf last in the family. When I bail out for the last time and my wife turns to get me, I pat my head indicating I’m done. She immediately hits “go home” and before she’s even picked me up the water begins to dump. By the time I’m back in the boat, dried off, caught my breath, and back in the drivers seat, the PnP bags are mostly empty. No issue letting the rest drain while on plane.  

great thanks

I've noticed a few times even after emptying, when I'm underway, if I hit Empty again, more water comes out. Even think a few times when I didn't purposely put water in the ballast, water was going in slowly and I had to empty it when I saw the "25% " indicator. Anyone else notice that?

1 hour ago, SpaceSurfer said:

I've noticed a few times even after emptying, when I'm underway, if I hit Empty again, more water comes out. Even think a few times when I didn't purposely put water in the ballast, water was going in slowly and I had to empty it when I saw the "25% " indicator. Anyone else notice that?

This happens to me.  This thread might help you out.

42 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

This happens to me.  This thread might help you out.

Funny, that was my post from last year...  But I digress.   Just got my boat back from getting all the stuff worked on during the off season (to include ceramic coat :) ).  To fix the problem I had was simple actually... the dealer identified that anti siphon loop was mounted below the water line and just mounted it higher.   Hopefully this is the fix for the center ballast taking on water....  more to follow in weeks to come.

17 hours ago, BigCreek said:

I never do, but I have no reason other than because it seems like I shouldn't....but I'm just guessing. 

Does anybody know if it matters?

Do it all the time, no issues!

I hit Go Home because the ballast pumps automatically stop when empty. But this does not mean then are completely empty. When I am on the ramp, I always need to dump the residual water from the tanks. I sometimes try to get an unexpected person near where the water drains and get them wet when the water shoots out. We always get a good laugh from this. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I don’t let draining effect how I’m going to boat. Usually hit drain all or go home after the last set and once that person is dried off and boards/towels are all stowed it’s a cruise back to the marina. Once I get off plane I’ll usually hit drain all one more time just to be sure it’s empty. 

I am with him....  :cheers:

16 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Depends on your pumps right? With aireater pumps they can run dry for a bit and it won’t hurt them so I’ll fill and dump underway. Zero risk to dump underway and I guess you might be waisting full time if you are going too fast for the pumps to suck up water.

If you have inpeller style pumps you don’t want to rub those dry so only risk I see for dumping underway would be that you finish draining and don’t realize it and run them dry burning up the impeller. Probably more risk for running dry filling while underway. 

The impeller style pumps now almost all have a run dry protection.  They shut off when they start getting hot.  Older impeller pumps will run until something burns up.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The impeller style pumps now almost all have a run dry protection.  They shut off when they start getting hot.  Older impeller pumps will run until something burns up.  

Didn’t know that, good to know!

2 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I hit Go Home because the ballast pumps automatically stop when empty. But this does not mean then are completely empty. When I am on the ramp, I always need to dump the residual water from the tanks. I sometimes try to get an unexpected person near where the water drains and get them wet when the water shoots out. We always get a good laugh from this. 

I hit go home at the boat show a couple years ago and almost got a kid:)

• Like 3