Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Audi Q5 TDI vs Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

RyanB

49 minutes ago, Falko said:

My experience with car shopping is that any new car lot wants to sell new cars. They use the pre-owned selection to get you on the lot. 

Which is weird because they can usually make more on the used stuff than new. 

Test drove the GC that was buried in the snow again yesterday.  My wife couldn't get out of work, so I took the Jeep over for her to see it, and she signed off on it.

Returned to the dealer and told sales lady that we would take the Jeep, that the two of us would come back today (Saturday) to sign paperwork and pick it up.  Told her that we don't liven the city, so please make sure everything is written up without city sales tax.

Get there a little earlier than I said we would, proceed to wait for them for 30 minutes, then passed off to business office.  Where we wait another 30 minutes.  They screw up the paperwork once because they don't have the fuel type right.  Get to the very end where they have on the paperwork almost $1000 for city sales tax.  I remind them we don't have to pay that, but they can't verify it, so they want me to sign the document, and they will "write a reimbursement check on Monday" if I am right.  OK, I guess.  Then they want us to sign two different sales contracts, but they won't sign them.   Or put in writing that they will reimburse the sales tax.

So I am still without a winter car.

11 hours ago, RyanB said:

Test drove the GC that was buried in the snow again yesterday.  My wife couldn't get out of work, so I took the Jeep over for her to see it, and she signed off on it.

Returned to the dealer and told sales lady that we would take the Jeep, that the two of us would come back today (Saturday) to sign paperwork and pick it up.  Told her that we don't liven the city, so please make sure everything is written up without city sales tax.

Get there a little earlier than I said we would, proceed to wait for them for 30 minutes, then passed off to business office.  Where we wait another 30 minutes.  They screw up the paperwork once because they don't have the fuel type right.  Get to the very end where they have on the paperwork almost $1000 for city sales tax.  I remind them we don't have to pay that, but they can't verify it, so they want me to sign the document, and they will "write a reimbursement check on Monday" if I am right.  OK, I guess.  Then they want us to sign two different sales contracts, but they won't sign them.   Or put in writing that they will reimburse the sales tax.

So I am still without a winter car.

I always wonder how people like this keep their job, they have one thing to do, paperwork, and they can't get that right.

9 hours ago, MadMan said:

I always wonder how people like this keep their job, they have one thing to do, paperwork, and they can't get that right.

I wonder this too.  Place my wife bought her car specializes in enthusiast vehicles.  McLarens, Lambo's, Ferraris, etc all over the dealership.  Bought in the slower season yet took multiple calls and pushing just to get the title on a cash purchase before her temp tags expired. 

Like our boats a dealer or even a good person in the dealer can make or brake doing business for anything I buy large. My Ford dealer is good but my sails man makes it even better.   

I think you will love the GC with the diesel.  We had a Q7 TDI for years and it was an amazon tow vehicle for our 23LSV and when it's time was done my wife picked up a new GC.  We looked at getting a diesel Summit but she ended up falling in love with the SRT.  The SRT does awesome at towing (more power than you need and huge Brembo's) but it lacks the air suspension that the Q7 and the Diesel version of the GC have(which level the car when towing) so there is a little rear end squat with SRT but it still handles quite amazingly with the boat back there.  I wish you could get an SRT with the air susp but not an option.  Audi vs. Jeep was a big jump... worst part is dealing with a Jeep dealership for service vs. an Audi dealer but at least the service tends to be a lot cheaper.

Good luck! 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:20 PM, gregtay said:

I wish you could get an SRT with the air susp but not an option. 

I'm sure it can be retrofitted.  Maybe factory retrofit, very likely aftermarket.

• 2 months later...

Just kicking this one back up to the top.

I ended up buying the Grand Cherokee that the seller was so firm on the price.  He came down a little, I went up more than I wanted to.  This was in March.

Literally as I was driving home from buying it, the check engine light came on.  Short version is that the DPF needed to be replaced.  This was under warranty.  Dealer probably should have worked with me more on it, but I didn't push it.  Still took a couple weeks to get it done.

Now the emissions settlement came out a few weeks back.  Had one other powertrain problem going on (leaking fuel), so it went in for that as well.  Since the Jeep was in, asked the dealer to take a look at the radio - compass and nav didn't work.  "No problem".  It "probably just needs a software update".

Well, the software update crashed the radio.  Which also controls everything with HVAC, heated/cooled seats/steering wheel.........

Short version is that after waiting two and a half weeks for a replacement radio, they tell me that they are on "back order" with no anticipated fulfillment date.  They suggest eBay or a local car electronics store (Car Toys), since a new OEM radio is over $2000.

Try the eBay route, the box the radio came in is smashed badly, and surprise, surprise, it doesn't work.  So then I go to Car Toys.  They have never installed a radio in a 14 Grand Cherokee, but they are sure they can make it so that everything works as well as the old radio.  Plus get me CarPlay and Android Auto (or whatever it is called).  $1650.  Ok.  Go to pick it up, and all units of measurement are English.  And there is no way to adjust the inside temp of the car.  And they argue with me about it being "good enough".  Manager finally agrees to work on it over the weekend.  Calls me Saturday, says everything is good to go.  Come pick it up Monday.

So I go up there (each trip is about a $35 Uber ride, but that is another story) and it shows American units of measurement.  And I can now control the interior temp.  But the steering wheel controls don't work (something we discussed I wanted).  And the radio literally only gets one radio station.  And the back up camera is dark and not very detailed. 

They update the software (again) while I wait, and the steering controls work again.  They tell me that the back up camera resolution 
"isn't as good as factory.  Just the way it is".  And they argue with me about regular radio.  "No one listens to that anymore".  Well, I like local sports talk, so I do.

Now fighting with them to take everything out, and put it back to the way it was when I dropped it off.  Without them charging me an arm and a leg for labor on a system that doesn't work.

So, what would be a fair compromise between me and them on the labor issue (if I get that far)?  They want to charge me almost $600.  Part of me says I shouldn't pay anything as the system doesn't work as we discussed.  

Not sure I will ever buy another used car again after this experience......

43 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I ended up buying the Grand Cherokee that the seller was so firm on the price.  He came down a little, I went up more than I wanted to.  This was in March.

Literally as I was driving home from buying it, the check engine light came on.  Short version is that the DPF needed to be replaced.  This was under warranty.  Dealer probably should have worked with me more on it, but I didn't push it.  Still took a couple weeks to get it done.

Now the emissions settlement came out a few weeks back.  Had one other powertrain problem going on (leaking fuel), so it went in for that as well.  Since the Jeep was in, asked the dealer to take a look at the radio - compass and nav didn't work.  "No problem".  It "probably just needs a software update".

Well, the software update crashed the radio.  Which also controls everything with HVAC, heated/cooled seats/steering wheel.........

Short version is that after waiting two and a half weeks for a replacement radio, they tell me that they are on "back order" with no anticipated fulfillment date.  They suggest eBay or a local car electronics store (Car Toys), since a new OEM radio is over $2000.

Try the eBay route, the box the radio came in is smashed badly, and surprise, surprise, it doesn't work.  So then I go to Car Toys.  They have never installed a radio in a 14 Grand Cherokee, but they are sure they can make it so that everything works as well as the old radio.  Plus get me CarPlay and Android Auto (or whatever it is called).  $1650.  Ok.  Go to pick it up, and all units of measurement are English.  And there is no way to adjust the inside temp of the car.  And they argue with me about it being "good enough".  Manager finally agrees to work on it over the weekend.  Calls me Saturday, says everything is good to go.  Come pick it up Monday.

So I go up there (each trip is about a $35 Uber ride, but that is another story) and it shows American units of measurement.  And I can now control the interior temp.  But the steering wheel controls don't work (something we discussed I wanted).  And the radio literally only gets one radio station.  And the back up camera is dark and not very detailed. 

They update the software (again) while I wait, and the steering controls work again.  They tell me that the back up camera resolution 
"isn't as good as factory.  Just the way it is".  And they argue with me about regular radio.  "No one listens to that anymore".  Well, I like local sports talk, so I do.

Now fighting with them to take everything out, and put it back to the way it was when I dropped it off.  Without them charging me an arm and a leg for labor on a system that doesn't work.

So, what would be a fair compromise between me and them on the labor issue (if I get that far)?  They want to charge me almost $600.  Part of me says I shouldn't pay anything as the system doesn't work as we discussed.  

I think you really need a meteor to hit the vehicle or something.  This story sucks and I completely empathize.  You've also reinforced every stereotype and concern I would've had over (a) buying a used Jeep and (b) going to a car stereo shop.  Ugh.

If they can't deliver what you asked for / they agreed to, they should put it all back together and refund.  Potential downside / potentially unverifiable concern would be whether they hacked up any of the wiring while the factory HU was out?  You won't ever know unless you are there while the radio is out or if you pull it all yourself.  

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, RyanB said:

This sounds like every used FCA experience my family has ever had too.  Bummer!

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

This sounds like every used FCA experience my family has ever had too.  Bummer!

Me too but I get called out as a hater! Crazy. 

In all seriousness Ryan, that sucks. Our 14 GC was great until it gernaded on itself in pretty much everyway. Engine, AC, fuel management, and stereo. Dealer said well who cares it’s under warranty.. we’ll since our 2010 had almost the exact same failures both around 70,000 we moved on. 

I just don't trust used any more! If I don't know the history like know the previous owner I just am so skeptical. The last used vehicle I looked at I just kept getting odd feelings. the vehicle car facts was clean.  But then found the vehicle went through auction. Kept digging and found the first sale was in Canada. Canada has something like car facts and found the vehicle was in a significant crash.  With all the flooding we have had in this country over the last several years vehicles are so chancy.  I might look at a lease vehicle from the dealer or owner if the selling dealer is the original and has the vehicle history. I have been buying new and keeping them for years. But I also do not put tones of miles on my vehicles.  

22 hours ago, Sixball said:

I just don't trust used any more! If I don't know the history like know the previous owner I just am so skeptical. The last used vehicle I looked at I just kept getting odd feelings. the vehicle car facts was clean.  But then found the vehicle went through auction. Kept digging and found the first sale was in Canada. Canada has something like car facts and found the vehicle was in a significant crash.  With all the flooding we have had in this country over the last several years vehicles are so chancy.  I might look at a lease vehicle from the dealer or owner if the selling dealer is the original and has the vehicle history. I have been buying new and keeping them for years. But I also do not put tones of miles on my vehicles.  

Can be a crap-shoot for sure.  I rolled the dice with my wife's car.  It had 600 miles on it and was a California lemon-law buyback.  We got it while it was still in the current model year.  It's a Hyundai Tucson Limited with the 7 speed dual clutch transmission.  I think the previous owner just didn't like how it shifted so they took advantage of California's super liberal lemon law.  17 months in and 15k miles later and we absolutely love it.  Saved thousands over new.  Title will always say lemon law buyback but we tend to keep our cars for a bit.  The "fixed" transmission is covered for something like 50k miles.  Pretty sure they just reflashed the control module.

I would do this again over buying something 3-4 years old.

Edited by UWSkier
7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Can be a crap-shoot for sure.  I rolled the dice with my wife's car.  It had 600 miles on it and was a California lemon-law buyback.  We got it while it was still in the current model year.  It's a Hyundai Tucson Limited with the 7 speed dual clutch transmission.  I think the previous owner just didn't like how it shifted so they took advantage of California's super liberal lemon law.  17 months in and 15k miles later and we absolutely love it.  Saved thousands over new.  Title will always say lemon law buyback but we tend to keep our cars for a bit.  The "fixed" transmission is covered for something like 50k miles.  Pretty sure they just reflashed the control module.

I would do this again over buying something 3-4 years old.

My wife's last Sequoia was lemon-law buy back from Texas.  The service manager of the dealership was a friend who tipped me off that the car was in for a bad rear latching mechanism that they failed to fix after three tries for whatever reason and the lady lemmon-lawed it.  After that, Toyota sent a whole new rear hatch/door and they just swapped the whole door out.  We got about a 35% discount off new with 7k miles on it.  10 years and about 140k miles later, nothing but oil changes until my wife finally got sick of old tech and we sold it.  

On 6/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, RyanB said:

Sorry to hear about your issues. I would do your best at getting it back to factory look and go find yourself a nice Lexus GX and trade it. Lick your wounds, chalk it up to experience.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:32 AM, Falko said:

Sorry to hear about your issues. I would do your best at getting it back to factory look and go find yourself a nice Lexus GX and trade it. Lick your wounds, chalk it up to experience.

Agreed.

Close friend's '16 GC Limited just had a steering rack failure.  A trend is forming.  

On 6/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, RyanB said:

You best best is just picking up the factory Uconnect here: https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/2014-2018-jeep-grand-cherokee-gps-navigation-8-4-4c-nav-uaq-radio-with-apple-carplay-android-auto?variant=5267452952612

This is literally about a 10 min install job, fully plug and play.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, RyanB said:

I'm confused. for the HU, to me it sounds like the dealer (im assuming it was a FCA dealership) bricked the radio. they should be on the hook to fix it even if it is out of warranty. not sure why they would ever send you to a non OEM store for a HU that would never be able to function properly because none of the aftermarket HU's will be able to integrate into the CAN network. 

I have an eco diesel RAM and have not had any issues with it. the emissions settlement isn't really an issue. just a difference of opinion between how FCA handled the software and what the Gov't's interpretation was in how it should be handled. net net, it gets me $3k in my pocket for a truck that is getting ~20-21mpg around town, 25+mpg on the highway, and ~14-16mpg pulling the LSV and family across the state and Mountian passes.

You bought a used vehicle where the radio was already on the fritz? That should have been factored into the purchase price.   BTW, buying new is one of the WORST financial decisions you can ever make.  That said, I've done it a few times but have had the same or fewer issues as brand new.

I bought a used uconnect radio and had Car toys pull out the HU they sold me and install the OEM unit. 

Settled on $250 for their labor which I don’t think either of us are happy with but it is done so I’m ready to move on. 

I have been watching this thread and will continue to do so. I have an 18 JGC for my wife. Bought it brand new and at about 20K miles it has been solid. We tend to keep her cars a long time as she is very gentle on them. This one might need to go sooner!

7 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I have been watching this thread and will continue to do so. I have an 18 JGC for my wife. Bought it brand new and at about 20K miles it has been solid. We tend to keep her cars a long time as she is very gentle on them. This one might need to go sooner!

My wife has a 2016 GC SRT and I drive it's sister vehicle, a 2018 Durango SRT. Prior to these cars we pretty much had German cars and SUVs and for far I am very impressed with the Jeep/Durango.  Fit and finish isn't quite the same, getting any service at the dealer is outright painful, but overall the two have been flawless.  They suck down fuel like crazy and eat through brake pads/rotors, but the German SUVs were no different.  My wifes last car was a loaded Q7 S-Line and I have been surprised at how much she just loves your Jeep GC even after 3 years... any time I mention getting her a new car she revolts and tells me I can't take her Jeep away because she loves it so much. (I did threaten to replace it with a Trackhawk and she did say she would allow me to do that :-O)

My sister-in-law has a 14 GC EcoDiesel, and was a large reason I got this one - she is thrilled with it.  I have several friends with 2013 + GC's, and they all love them too.

I'm hoping my troubles with this one have run its course.

Now I can go back to worrying about my Yukon XL - the rattling POS that it is.  For the third time in about 18 months the traction control light is on.  The plan is that this is the next car to be rotated out of the fleet.  If it was my daily driver, it would not have lasted this long.