Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tent cover for boat

JoeMama

Hi,

1)   Has anyone found supplier for a cover that you can use to sleep on your boat? I am going to have one made for 23ft boat with tower. Wondering if I should get a tower cover (probably better) and then customize it or start from scratch.

Anyone do this? Would be awesome to get advice and/or see some pictures?

2)  Also, anyone find a supplier of a customizable cushion that fits on floor of the boat to sleep on?

Thanks,

JoeMama 

I have been getting beat up for years over getting/making... a rain fly for the odd short lived pop up shower events. To date I have yet to find one that isn't going to be custom made $$$. With this new boat, I will probably end up getting a truck sized car cover and split and resew seams to form it myself.  The closest I have been able to find to fit the @ 46" span between the seats was a truck bed air mattress.

I purchased a Carver over the tower boat cover last year and have been fairly happy with it and it might be a good place to start. Mine covered the swim deck but you probably would not want that.

Not sure how you could secure it without a trailer or lift but I’m sure an upholstery shop could figure it out. 

If you need more details I’ll try and find my receipt but I think I paid less than $500.

Hey, BearCreekBum, Yeah, a dealer mentioned carver tower cover and said around $500.  You have a picture with cover on? Is it super secure like a new boat dealer cover?

Unfortunately I don’t have any pics but it is not super secure. It is more like a tent. I use it on an uncovered floating lift and it has straps that attach to the lift to secure it. 

I’ve thought about having someone install a racket strap at the rubrail but not many choices in my area and it might not be cost effective.

I'm wondering if maybe it's just my boat but when I leave the cover on for a night the next morning the fumes are noticeable.  I don't think I would be able to spend the night inhaling that.  I guess I thought that was the norm, any one else?

7 hours ago, JoeMama said:

Fumes from gas ? 

not sure, smells more like exhaust or something.  A few times I've done some work on the boat in the driveway when it was raining so I left the cover and the fumes were bad enough I decided to wait until I could take the cover off to work on it.  If I was going to do the tent thing and sleep in the boat I would definitely need a fan pushing fresh air in.

10 hours ago, riot138 said:

I'm wondering if maybe it's just my boat but when I leave the cover on for a night the next morning the fumes are noticeable.  I don't think I would be able to spend the night inhaling that.  I guess I thought that was the norm, any one else?

check the gasket around the fuel sender on the fuel tank.  I had the gas smell for a few months before I found gas seeping/flowing out, only happened when tank was full and nose of boat was lower than the rear of the boat.

23 hours ago, Bozboat said:

check the gasket around the fuel sender on the fuel tank.  I had the gas smell for a few months before I found gas seeping/flowing out, only happened when tank was full and nose of boat was lower than the rear of the boat.

Thank you.  I will check that.  When I park in the drive the nose is lower and it's usually close to full. 

• 2 months later...

So, kind of thinking of something like this.  We dry stack our boat, so it’s covered above and on 3 sides...swim platform is out.  Ideally, here is what I am looking for... 1) Quick/Easy to put on from 1 sided dock   2) Protects interior and swim deck from sun  3) Keeps water from pooling  4) Easy to fold up and store in boat, while out on the water.

I think this checks 1 and 2 pretty easily and probably 4, but 3 is what I’m worried about.  It’s not on a trailer, so I wouldn’t be able to do the tie down straps.  It does look like it has some elasticity to it and does go over the swim deck, so I’m not sure those are necessary, since it won’t be trailered with this on.

Thoughts?  Here’s is the link...

On 2/13/2019 at 8:11 AM, riot138 said:

not sure, smells more like exhaust or something.  A few times I've done some work on the boat in the driveway when it was raining so I left the cover and the fumes were bad enough I decided to wait until I could take the cover off to work on it.  If I was going to do the tent thing and sleep in the boat I would definitely need a fan pushing fresh air in.

If your cover is over your fuel tank vent, you will get some fumes/smell in the boat under the cover. 

Not saying I am positive that’s your issue, but worth looking at.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, JoeMama said:

Hi,

1)   Has anyone found supplier for a cover that you can use to sleep on your boat? I am going to have one made for 23ft boat with tower. Wondering if I should get a tower cover (probably better) and then customize it or start from scratch.

Anyone do this? Would be awesome to get advice and/or see some pictures?

2)  Also, anyone find a supplier of a customizable cushion that fits on floor of the boat to sleep on?

Thanks,

JoeMama 

I have seen some over the tower covers where people had a zippered portion installed into the cover like a doorway entry in a tent. The ones I saw had the doorway at the rear walk-thru so they could get in/out of the boat easily, non of the ones I saw went over the swim platform and they all cinched around the rub-rail like a normal cover so they were nice and tight.

I have slept in my boat a couple times when I went to Lake Norris TN, very peaceful to anchor in a cove and sleep on the water. I do not have a custom over the tower cover. I bought a 12x16 tarp for my 24ft boat for those couple times (I purposely did not want it long enough to touch the gunnels on sides ) I pulled the tarp over my bimini and then secured it with some paracord. Using the 12ft for the width, once it went over bimini and down, it was still a foot away from touching the gunnels so if it flapped a little it would not rub the gelcoat. Basically the 16ft long portion was enough to cover my entire cabin area to keep me dry if it rained.

Blew up a twin sized air mattress and put it on the cabin floor, very comfortable way to spend the night! I tried sleeping on one of the seats one night, but too narrow to really get comfortable for me. So far, just been me when I have done this. My wife is not into "roughing it", lol.

@OnTheWater I have the Carver cover above and I would not say it is easy to put on. There is a lot of material to move around over the tower but I’m getting better at it. The elastic band is not worth much since it extends below the rub rail and I have it tied down to our lift at multiple point. I don’t think the cover will stay in place without tie downs on both sides. 

For my application it does a great job keeping everything dry and does not have any pooling. A lot less spiders to deal with around the tower.

I am going to try and find a local shop to install a rope or ratchet strap at the rub rail and see if that helps. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Get a cover that fits. The loose fitting covers will flap in the wind and stuff up your gel.

IMG_7845.JPG

How makes your cover @Ronnie? Looks great. 

Edited by Dfowkes
Fat fingers

I got it through my dealer in Dallas. Waterski America. A guy in Dallas makes them. Dallas canvas or DFW canvas, I don’t really remember the name. I’ve had this one on 4 boats since ‘16. 

14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I got it through my dealer in Dallas. Waterski America. A guy in Dallas makes them. Dallas canvas or DFW canvas, I don’t really remember the name. I’ve had this one on 4 boats since ‘16. 

I like the zipper access. I wonder if it would survive a Wisconsin winter?

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Get a cover that fits. The loose fitting covers will flap in the wind and stuff up your gel.

IMG_7845.JPG

approximate costs and delivery times?

3 hours ago, braindamage said:

I like the zipper access. I wonder if it would survive a Wisconsin winter?

They look like nylon zippers. I have no experience with the Great White North so I couldn't give you a answer but I don't see wht not.

59 minutes ago, thebill said:

approximate costs and delivery times?

I don't know that, you would need to contact WSA or the guy that makes them.