Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 VTX vs 04 21XTI

Cammo

Just chasing people's opinions on skiing behind an 07 VTX with the cut diamond hull. I'm just fantasising about a boat to upgrade from my 04 wakesetter 21xti (diamond hull- in Australia many early wakesurfers were on diamond hulls as default) and wondering how different the VTX would be to my boat at 15 off (or shorter) and 32-34mph. I ride a 2016 radar senate graphite. Never been through a course, not that serious, just want a boat that I can ski hard behind and advance my skills, whilst having the versatility to wakeboard and even surf. Having tried surfing it's a great fun, low injury alternative to slalom for every other day. I know the VTX is a v drive 😱, but it's also a foot shorter thany current boat. I think the VTX could be a great family boat, but I really don't wanna go backwards with the ski wake. Anyone have experience with both of these models for skiing?

I ski behind my 2007 VTX ,Diamond hull, whenever I can find smooth water and I love it.  I have ran it through a course, and it's very skiable.  I've owned a 1997 Echelon and a 1999 Sunsetter LXi.  Few boats ski better than the Echelon (at least in it's day), as it was s dedicated closed bow ski boat.  The Sunsetter LXi was also a direct drive known to have a good wake for a little bit larger open bow boat, but it wasn't as good as the Echelon.  I would put the VTX in-between the Echelon and the SSLXi as far has how nice it is to ski behind.  The SSLXi didn't have too big or hard of wake, but it did have a deeper trough than the Echelon.  The VTX has about the same size wake as the SSLXi, but it doesn't have as deep of trough as the SSLXi.  I prefer skiing behind the VTX. 

Even though it is a smaller V-Drive, it still surfs quite well.  It generates a decent size wake, but it does have a shorter pocket when compared to the larger V-Drives.  Definitely not a world class surf wake, but it still is great fun for my family to surf.

Thanks mate, that's a very comprehensive reply. I find my xti has a decent hump and trough at 15 off, but not terrible. My friends old v ride with the wake hull was awful to ski behind. If the VTX is as good as you say it might be my next boat....

you could also go with a response lxi like what i have...     it can be  a   "do all boat "   if you put a power wedge and tower on it.. 

amazing to barefoot...

Amazing  ski wake...  

drop the power wedge to  the 50% position set perfect pass to 20mph    move 2-3 people  to the back seat    and start  wake boarding.. its puts out a pretty decent wake...     but the top  wakeboarders will find the wake a bit smaller. 

drop the speed to 11mph    and grab a surfboard...(yes you can surf  on a response  but it is not the best surfwake)   

flip the powerwedge  back up and go barefoot all over again...   and you dont have to pump 1 drop of water!  

On 2/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, Cammo said:

Thanks mate, that's a very comprehensive reply. I find my xti has a decent hump and trough at 15 off, but not terrible. My friends old v ride with the wake hull was awful to ski behind. If the VTX is as good as you say it might be my next boat....

You will be pleasantly surprised what a VTX can do.  We use ours for all sports and can get a decent surf wave out of it.  I am 235lbs and have no issues going ropeless on a Ronix Koal and my lake is 8 to 10 ft deep.  Skis well with limited people and less than a full tank of fuel.  They hold a huge amount of fuel.  1/2 tank of bow ballast and 32mph its a good ski wake.

Out of my 3 VTX's my 2007 was by far the best boat I have had. The picture is with an extra 1000lbs of weight in the rear compartments and a homemade surfgate.  My daughter is 5' 8" tall.  Pretty decent.  This was in a deep lake though.

20150817_180501.jpg