Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why did malibu get rid of g4 tower for 2019s

weekender

I was thinking the same thing. I ordered a 2019 and I didn't want the PowerTower, so I opted for the G3.5 tower. This design has barely changed since 2010. I would have prefered the G4 tower in my 2019 build, but it wasn't available.

Another reason I didn't upgrade, backwards innovation. 

Although the bent bar does provide a much stronger/rigid design and the reason every MFG uses it or two of them. This why a nautique has no problems pulling tubes. G4 is multiple pieces and can be pulled out of shape laterally much easier thus some squeaks. I don't know why they just didn't improve it a bit.. 

I absolutely hate the speaker location reverted back to..( in way) of boards and head room. Fail.

It kills me that a 2019 tower looks like a 10yr old G3... that's why I love the g4 best looking tower ever,! 

G4 was taller than G3.x, but I'm wanting to know if in fact the GX is back to a shorter G3 height? did Malibu actually increase height of 25lsv compared to 2016-2018 design? If so maybe total height is same at least on 25lsv? If not it's shorter again.. still no confirmation from anyone on freeboard height or tower height. The g4 is just money! 

Local boat show next week but doubt they will have a 25 there so won't be able to measure.. 

Also why the heck not offer the g4 as cheaper option unless more problems than we know or too much vested in the GX? Or supplier problem.. anyone with insight as the GX is meh at best

Edited by The Hulk
23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I love the new GX... that is all :thumbup:

It is nice, but an 8k upgrade option. Even though the racks come with it, it is still a 6k upgrade I would never use. Haven't needed to lower a tower in the 12 years that I have owned a boat.

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Thought GX was more? 

I was thinking that the G4 essentially got replaced by the GX, without much difference in price, but there could be some age related memory issues going on, hoping someone else could confirm.  

41 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I was thinking that the G4 essentially got replaced by the GX, without much difference in price, but there could be some age related memory issues going on, hoping someone else could confirm.  

The GX MSRPs for $10K, which is up a bit from the G4 price. Despite all the early hate, I also like the GX tower in person.

I went with the G3.5 though because of cost and it does everything well that I need it to do. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, onwi said:

Was the G4 made in house?  I was told at the boat show it was not but was unsure of the source.  

G4 was made in-house. My bad I stand corrected G4 made by PTM

Edited by Dfowkes
I was not correct
8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Another reason I didn't upgrade, backwards innovation. 

Although the bent bar does provide a much stronger/rigid design and the reason every MFG uses it or two of them. This why a nautique has no problems pulling tubes. G4 is multiple pieces and can be pulled out of shape laterally much easier thus some squeaks. I don't know why they just didn't improve it a bit.. 

I absolutely hate the speaker location reverted back to..( in way) of boards and head room. Fail.

It kills me that a 2019 tower looks like a 10yr old G3... that's why I love the g4 best looking tower ever,! 

G4 was taller than G3.x, but I'm wanting to know if in fact the GX is back to a shorter G3 height? did Malibu actually increase height of 25lsv compared to 2016-2018 design? If so maybe total height is same at least on 25lsv? If not it's shorter again.. still no confirmation from anyone on freeboard height or tower height. The g4 is just money! 

Local boat show next week but doubt they will have a 25 there so won't be able to measure.. 

Also why the heck not offer the g4 as cheaper option unless more problems than we know or too much vested in the GX? Or supplier problem.. anyone with insight as the GX is meh at best

On Saturday I’ll confirm the tower heights for you on both the G4 2016 25LSV and I’ll check the height on my new boat I’m picking up 2019 25LSV with GX. 

Edited by Dfowkes
Typo

G4 was actually made my PTM, the same company that makes the clamping racks and those 140 degree mirrors we all love. PTM also makes Supra’s new power tower.  

The G3.5 and GX are both made in house. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

On Saturday I’ll confirm the tower heights for you on both the G4 2016 25LSV and I’ll check the height on my new boat I’m picking up 2019 25LSV with GX. 

Awesome thanks!

On 2/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, The Hulk said:

Awesome thanks!

81" clearance for GX tower on 25LSV.  The dealer told me it's more clearance then my old G4 25LSV.  But I will confirm the height of the G4 on Saturday.  

Just back from boat show, seems like the Supra tower is half identicale as the g4. The MB tower looks very similar or a budget g4 construction.

Wondering if this was another reason they got away not exclusive enough?

New Nautique tower base is monstrous in size!

I have a '15 with a G4 (made by PTM).  I LOVE the look, but I've had some warranty issues on it (creaks and bolts loosening).  On the warranty, Malibu was really stingy (probably because of PTM) on the dealer reimbursement so I had to come out of pocket for the additional labor to make the fix.  I suspect Malibu grew tired of those issues, dumped the G4 and went to the GX (assuming it is built in house) as they thought they could build a better (more reliable) tower and make a better margin since PTM no longer has a hand in Malibu's pocket.

12 hours ago, wilster said:

I have a '15 with a G4 (made by PTM).  I LOVE the look, but I've had some warranty issues on it (creaks and bolts loosening).  On the warranty, Malibu was really stingy (probably because of PTM) on the dealer reimbursement so I had to come out of pocket for the additional labor to make the fix.  I suspect Malibu grew tired of those issues, dumped the G4 and went to the GX (assuming it is built in house) as they thought they could build a better (more reliable) tower and make a better margin since PTM no longer has a hand in Malibu's pocket.

If that is the case your dealer either has no idea what they are doing or are pretty s***ty IMO.

We have had quite a few that squeaked. Its not a hard problem to fix. But it seems over time you will have to address it again. I know there were a few dealers that had some really major issues and were replacing the entire tower.

14 minutes ago, wilster said:

so what's your experience been with the G4 tower?  have you two had issues and dealt with the dealer?  i'd be very curious to hear your expertise on the matter.

G4 tower on my 2016 has had no major issues.   The only issue I have experienced was the creaking.   Dealer said they would do the fix for free but I opted to do the fix myself by following the field bulletin issued by Malibu.   Essentially pulling a few bolts in specific places on the tower and adding thread locker, re torquing to spec to ensure they stay put.    I put the tower up and down all season.   And store in the down position.  Been extremely happy with the tower operation.  Sorry to hear others have not had the same experience.  

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

G4 tower on my 2016 has had no major issues.   The only issue I have experienced was the creaking.   Dealer said they would do the fix for free but I opted to do the fix myself by following the field bulletin issued by Malibu.   Essentially pulling a few bolts in specific places on the tower and adding thread locker, re torquing to spec to ensure they stay put.    I put the tower up and down all season.   And store in the down position.  Been extremely happy with the tower operation.  Sorry to hear others have not had the same experience.  

yes, we first tried your solution with the dealer (at no charge) and that wasn't cutting the mustard so phase 2 was doing the PTM gasket warranty fix (which is a huge pain btw) and so i had no problem throwing my dealer a couple bennies for the extra trouble and the fix.