Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations for a tonneau cover?

WETnWILD

Looking for recommendations on tonneau covers. We will be taking a trip across the country and would like to be able to keep our stuff in the bed dry(ish). I like the hard cover, locking, retractable type. Are you using one you like? 🚤

Rig: 2017 Chevrolet 2500 

10 hours ago, WETnWILD said:

Looking for recommendations on tonneau covers. We will be taking a trip across the country and would like to be able to keep our stuff in the bed dry(ish). I like the hard cover, locking, retractable type. Are you using one you like? 🚤

Rig: 2017 Chevrolet 2500 

Where are you located. Weather makes a difference in durability and usability. I like my Pace Edwards Bedlocker. I have had at least four of them.  Very stout and robust. But I don’t deal with ice. 

We use the tri-fold types at work and have one on my personal truck. 

I have always hated bed covers due to one thing or another but love the tri-folds. They can be taken off very easily if you need to use the bed for larger stuff. Yet it is not like the old vinyl covers that you had to fight with the cross bed bars and stretching the vinyl to fit the snaps or channels. 

They also don't take up all of the space in your bed a roll up cover does. 

I just bought one from amazon, "Tyger" Brand, roll up one, $250.00 landed on door step.........Gotta say, for the money I paid it works awesome. It is only two weeks old but It is currently -40C here and snowing and its still on there........

I will only use mine for the winter though, topper goes on after that.

I prefer the roll up vinyl with side Velcro but I park my truck indoors in the winter.. if I parked outside and had to get snow off at all the time I would absolutely use something more rigid or folding style. 

Edited by The Hulk

I have the roll up style on my 13 CTD and love it.  You unroll it, put the levers in the slot, push down, bam, done. It puts the cover under slight tension, so no wrinkles snow and water is no probs. Has been on for 6yrs.  When it is rolled all the way up it sets on the front bulkhead of the box, so all the box space is available. My wife has a try fold locking on her 18Dmax, she likes it..it also can open from the front of the bed.

I have a Ford F-350 with an 8’ bed. I like the retractable cover since the 8” I lose doesn’t really bother me too much when I have to haul something bigger. I could see that being a problem on a short bed in some rare instances. That still wouldn’t deter me from going that route unless there was something specific that I needed to haul in my bed that was at the limits of a short bed pickup. I have the pace edwards ultragroove. It has the rails on top for kayaks, mountain bikes, rack, etc.. Really works out good to put luggage in the dry area and bigger stuff on top when you need to. I also have the full extension low profile cargo glide on mine. With as big as the trucks have gotten, I get tired of crawling up in the back of the truck every time you need to get something. 

On 2/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Still liking my Under Cover Ultra Flex.  Not cheap but a good cover.

Another vote for the Ultra Flex. I prefer the texture on it over the BAK.

• 4 months later...

I love the cover, and so far so good with the bike rack. The round crossbar flexes a bit and it looks like the bikes away back and forth - could strap a piece of angle iron to it to the crossbars to limit it. However, it is very secure and it all comes off very easily. The bikes ride high so you might catch some bugs depending on where you’re driving, but I figure I’d zip tie some foam insulation to the handlebars if I was that worried about it.