Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty Transfer

rcoman

I’ve paid to transfer the warranty on my 2014 Malibu and I’m looking to buy a used 2018 Malibu from a private party. I would be the second owner. Why not leave the boat under the original buyers name to avoid paying the warranty transfer?

what happens when the dealer figures out you did transfer?  The warranty says it goes away unless you transfer.  So you could find yourself with no warranty at all.  But you would save the warranty transfer fee, so there is that.

I would imagine the title/registration and insurance would all need to be in the original owner's name too.  Not sure I would want to buy an expensive boat and not have it in my name, including the warranty.

I get his point.  It's more the fact that there is this great warranty but to move it from one owner to another is $2.5k ($1k for boat and $1.5k for the motor was what i was quoted).  And to me A) they certainly didn't make it clear when I purchased & B) I assumed it was like all other vehicle warranties which seem to be able to move from one owner to another without a cost.  in the end, i agree with some of the others on here that it isn't worth the hassle say something major happens.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I get his point.  It's more the fact that there is this great warranty but to move it from one owner to another is $2.5k ($1k for boat and $1.5k for the motor was what i was quoted).  And to me A) they certainly didn't make it clear when I purchased & B) I assumed it was like all other vehicle warranties which seem to be able to move from one owner to another without a cost.  in the end, i agree with some of the others on here that it isn't worth the hassle say something major happens.  Good luck.

I agree on keeping the warranty but, $2500 for what is most likely computer generated paper work? 

I've always heard the transfer fees were ~$1500 in total, for both Malibu and engine warranties. That's what it was in the fall for my buyer, and included a dealer inspection within 30 days of the sale.

Hopefully this cost goes down when the engines are Malibu too.

• Like 2

So I have never looked at this do the other manufactures do the same with warranty's?  You may think It would be good for the manufacture to move the warranty with the boat just to make it easier for an owner to move a used boat and perches another new boat. Also a happy customer is much more likely to return and buy another boat. I might see a small fee for a dealer to go over a boat to be sure it has not been abused to keep the warranty but not what we see in this case. Even if a private owner had to take the boat into a dealer to keep the warranty. 

16 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I've always heard the transfer fees were ~$1500 in total, for both Malibu and engine warranties. That's what it was in the fall for my buyer, and included a dealer inspection within 30 days of the sale.

Hopefully this cost goes down when the engines are Malibu too.

What was the last cost reduction you ever seen on something Malibu? On a side note, I just found out the Gel coat warrantee is only for 1 year against cracks or blisters not 5.

5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

In 2015 the Malibu fee was $700. Marine power was $300 IIRC. I have heard some dealers treat warranty transfer as a profit center. 

I sold my 2017 21vlx last year any my dealer charged the buyer $1500. $750 for the Malibu Warranty and & $750 for the Indmar warranty.  

Seems like they are inflating the cost to me.  If it was me that was quoted $2500, I’d call Malibu directly and ask them how much the transfer fees are so I have something to take back to the dealership.  

52 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

What was the last cost reduction you ever seen on something Malibu? On a side note, I just found out the Gel coat warrantee is only for 1 year against cracks or blisters not 5.

I hope you saw this in “the fine print” and not your check book.

3 minutes ago, wdr said:

I hope you saw this in “the fine print” and not your check book.

I'm still in my first year. Just took her in for some off season warranty work. Didn't get a good warm fuzzy feeling about our new service guy though. Gave me a lot of the it's hand made and the defects just happen stuff.

You mean the “Lou”. I kind of got that used car salesman feeling when he was trying to pimp me at the boat show. I am glad that I have the skils necessary to do my own maintenance. The M series engine is going to be so much easier to work on for the annual services. 

1 hour ago, wdr said:

You mean the “Lou”. I kind of got that used car salesman feeling when he was trying to pimp me at the boat show. I am glad that I have the skils necessary to do my own maintenance. The M series engine is going to be so much easier to work on for the annual services. 

I'm not mentioning any names.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

Yep I do all my own maintenance and upgrades / mods. I'm not going to fix Gelcoat imperfections that came from the factory.

4 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I'm still in my first year. Just took her in for some off season warranty work. Didn't get a good warm fuzzy feeling about our new service guy though. Gave me a lot of the it's hand made and the defects just happen stuff.

AHHHH NO!!!!!!!!!!!   The warranty was had typed at some point.  Just get it done!  Or get the warranty off the books.  Now you do need to start off as a very calm concerned customer. 

The last boat I sold my dealer did the transfer and the paperwork was pretty detailed.  Temperature reading, WOT RPMs, idle RPMs (cold/hot), ... bunch of stuff.  Its not supposed to be a paper transfer but then again, maybe they do all that to justify the $$.

8 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The better question is why is there even a transfer fee?   It seems like just a money grab by Malibu and Indmar, which I guess is fine since they are in the business to make $.  

I agree 100%. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. To be fair though. It’s not just Malibu doing it. I know Nautique does too and assume the rest do as well. 

This whole warranty thing is pretty interesting to me and probably b/c I don'f fully understand it.  Maybe someone can clue me in....

• Why are their different prices for the warranty?  My understanding is $750 to Malibu and $750 to Indmar...
  • Who gets the money?  Is it 100% to dealer or a blend b/t dealer, Malibu and Indmar.
  • If the dealer get's the money, then would it make sense to transfer the warranty at the "new" home dealer.

I think it's great that you can transfer a warranty but have just always wondered how it works, who gets the money and where does it make sense to transfer warranty

Just transfer the warranty to keep the relationship with your dealer so if you ever need help in a pinch they will take care of you. Whats another $1000 on a $100000 purchase anyways. Will probably end up saving you in the long run. 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Your dealer is bending you over on the price. If the warranty is not transferred and you are caught it is fraud, which could have legal repercussions.

22 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The better question is why is there even a transfer fee?   It seems like just a money grab by Malibu and Indmar, which I guess is fine since they are in the business to make $.  

It is industry wide.