Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New video and pics shed light on GPH and engine noise...

IXFE

GI feel like I might need to put my flame suit on, but here goes...

So the SLC show is going down and look what my buddy just sent me 

It seems Taylor’s Boats has done some testing of their own. 24 MXZ 13-14 GPH while surfing fully loaded with wedge (I ignored the first test w/out wedge). Boardco claimed 24-28 GPH, literally DOUBLE.

Note 1:  This video is actually a 2018 24 MXZ meaning it’s the Ford Roush 6.2L 575 engine. The 2019’s are supposedly much quieter and more fuel efficient.  

Note 2: Surfband is apparently factory approved to wear on your ankle!  #gamechangedagain :frantic:

The pics below (taken at the SLC show) demonstrate decibel ratings on the 2019 GM powered Malibu’s. The dishwasher comparison made me chuckle... 

78409478-4D7D-473E-9277-42627BBF1431.jpeg

9B7CDA9F-DC36-45BD-B2A1-3B1A4EC8E617.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Malibu just went up in my book! No joke! Absolutely love that they included the dishwasher in the comparo. 

It’s smart for them to do that, gives a real world comparison that everyone can relate to!

This is great to see!  Thanks for posting IXFE.  This is my hometown dealer.  I am heading to the show when i get back in town from Houston (biz trip).  Can’t wait so see and learn more about the 2019 lineup.  Haven’t completely ruled out other brands but Malibu is up there

12 hours ago, vanamp said:

Off topic but, As a regular footed rider I just hate watching that goofy wave shape up so nicely.  I can ride switch a bit but its work and not as fun. 

That’s why backside is so fun, you gotta work but that work produces a lot of freedom on the wave to rip it up, backside is where it’s at goofy or regular,   You gotta clean your plate  and eat your vegetables (backside) before you get dessert ( toeside) , both sides 

I’m  a regular rider and once I saw my wife’s goofy wave I switched immediately to goofy surfing , now I have to force myself to surf regular to try to keep up with goofy 

Edited by granddaddy55
10 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Included the dishwasher but not Nautique?

I am pretty sure they did not include Nautique because they are very quiet.  When I demo'd a 2015 Malibu, it was a stark contrast when I went to my first G.  I was extremely pleased when I then demo'd the 2019 Malibu and did not think it was any different than my G.  So from my N of 4 Nautiques and 3 Malibus, I think they have the same loudness, which is better than all the others I have been in (noticeably absent is MC, I don't know anyone who has one).  

48 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I am pretty sure they did not include Nautique because they are very quiet.  When I demo'd a 2015 Malibu, it was a stark contrast when I went to my first G.  I was extremely pleased when I then demo'd the 2019 Malibu and did not think it was any different than my G.  So from my N of 4 Nautiques and 3 Malibus, I think they have the same loudness, which is better than all the others I have been in (noticeably absent is MC, I don't know anyone who has one).  

MC installs copious amounts of sound deadening on the service panels, and hatches around the engine. They are also pretty quiet, but not sure if they are quieter/louder than the newer Bu’s or Nautiques. Probably about the same. 

I spend a lot of time on Supra’s and Moomba's, and they are loud, especially with the ford engines.

Any boat with the raptor is going to be significantly louder. 

The G will have the H6 will be super quiet. The centurion with the H6 is also super quiet but with the smaller engines not as much. 

Centurion RI 257 is actually one of the quietest boats on the water IMHO. My son and I spent a day on the lake in a 2017 RI 257 with the silent stinger. While my son was surfing regular, the owner's wife (she is the owner too) of the boat and I were sitting in the port side corner; she began asking me questions about my son's good behavior and things like that. It was so quiet in the corner of the boat that I was afraid my son would over hear us talking about him as he was surfing. In most boats, it is not likely that someone surfing would be able to hear a conversation taking place in the boat. I know my 2019 25 lsv is significantly quieter than others, but we haven't had a lot of time in the boat yet to see how it compares to the RI 257. I am sure it is as good, if not better!

While the bulk of the comments are focused on sound pressure levels (dB) there was a mention of fuel flow (GPH) as well. Fuel flow seems to be coming up a lot, and it's something that while I care about, it isn't my primary focus. My primary focus is surfing and having fun, but I also want to know how much fuel is left in the tank so I know I can get home. Malibu does a decent job with the fuel gauge for the conditions they have to anticipate for, but I wanted something more accurate. One of my project partners cared more about fuel flow than fuel remaining, so between the two of us we came up with:

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

The only two things that are missing are:
1. A plug & play cable. There isn't much demand for this yet so nobody has a pre-made cable.
2. There isn't a logging function. I would love to have a .csv file of RPM, speed, and GPH. Maybe my ongoing conversations with LinearLogic/ScanGauge will convince them to make a microSD logging option.

The accurate DIY for fuel flow is great! I may see if I can find the plug on my 2008 lsv...

Now if  someone can create an accurate DIY ballast + PNP reading for the older models that would be great too :)

Guys, these sound level tests were conducted by Boating Magazine (see the fine print I posted in that pic). Nautique and Mastercraft are not included only because they both elected not to participate in the magazines tests.  

The Centurion H6 was included, and as you can see the Bu was quieter. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Guys, these sound level tests were conducted by Boating Magazine (see the fine print I posted in that pic). Nautique and Mastercraft are not included only because they both elected not to participate in the magazines tests.  

The Centurion H6 was included, and as you can see the Bu was quieter. 

Boating mag did review the GS22, and XT23.

Nautique GS22- 93db at 3500rpm

MasterCraft XT23- 82db at 3500rpm

10 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Boating mag did review the GS22, and XT23.

Nautique GS22- 93db at 3500rpm

MasterCraft XT23- 82db at 3500rpm

Hmmm... 2019??  93 seems loud for a Nautique.  

Got a link?  

Edited by IXFE
2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Hmmm... 2019??  93 seems loud for a Nautique.  

Got a link?  

Oh, yeah, not 19s I don’t think. They were a couple pages back in their wakeboat section.

XT23 is an 18 with the 6.2DI- https://www.boatingmag.com/mastercraft-xt23#page-5

GS, I am not sure. Test was done late summer 18, so it’s an 18 or 19. Also with 6.2DI- https://www.boatingmag.com/nautique-super-air-nautique-gs22-boat-test#page-2

Interesting comparisons.

I was going along with a buddy when he was demoing last fall and we demoed the 2019 G23, G25 and 23 LSV one weekend, in that order. I'd been telling him how smooth and quiet the G23 was but his first comment during the 23 LSV demo was "I think this is quieter than the Gs". I thought so too, although didn't want to bias his perception too much since he'd been leaning toward the G.

After all that, he went with a 25 LSV.

10 hours ago, NWBU said:

Interesting comparisons.

I was going along with a buddy when he was demoing last fall and we demoed the 2019 G23, G25 and 23 LSV one weekend, in that order. I'd been telling him how smooth and quiet the G23 was but his first comment during the 23 LSV demo was "I think this is quieter than the Gs". I thought so too, although didn't want to bias his perception too much since he'd been leaning toward the G.

After all that, he went with a 25 LSV.

I thought the G23 we demo’d together a couple of years back was the quietest wakeboat I’d ever been in. That’s why I was kinda surprised by the number reported above on the GS22. 

I’m hearing very good things about how quiet the new M6 is. Really looking forward to getting mine in the water. 

Edited by IXFE
7 hours ago, IXFE said:

I thought the G23 we demo’d together a couple of years back was the quietest wakeboard I’d ever been in. That’s why I was kinda surprised by the number reported above on the GS22. 

I’m hearing very good things about how quiet the new M6 is. Really looking forward to getting mine in the water. 

Based on observations of that engine in the G23,  XStar, and X24, you’ll like it a lot. The GenV LT1 is a quiet beast.

One slight drawback to that motor though. It has a very faint, high pitched, chirp that is always there at idle. A lot of people don’t notice it, but I do. It sounds like a belt chirp, but it’s not. It is a sound generated by the high pressure fueling system, and is considered normal. I hear it in the H6 G’s, the Ilmor 6000s, and Camaro’s And Vettes with the LT1.

The thing I don’t get, is that the DI5.3 doesn’t seem to have the noise, which seems odd, given GM’s explanation of the cause in their TSB, and the fact that they share the same DI setup.

oddly, my Hellcat motor also does it :ford: