Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tailgate Wars

Hemmy

8 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

When I have loads on a palate over 2500 lbs I like to have it as far forward as possible so I spend the 30 seconds and take the tail gate off.  I do this at least 7-10 times a year.  

Any even half a** forklift operator can slide a pallet in with short forks.  No need to remove the tailgate.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, Sixball said:

It also had the side wall storage. But you had to lift the cover to get in. And with that I will give Dodge the nod for the side storage

Why are you giving Ram the nod when GM did it much earlier and longer with the Avalanche and Escalade EXT?

5 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Any even half a** forklift operator can slide a pallet in with short forks.  No need to remove the tailgate.

Please explain how a forklift with 4' or even 5' forks can get 3000 lbs on a pallet out of the back of a pickup with a 8' bed and a rubber bed liner when the load is a bit past center over the rear axle while the tailgate is still on.

Even loading I hate seeing them push the load against my transmission, there is no parking brake that will hold pushing that type of load in.  

It takes 45 seconds and one man to get the tailgate off of my F250, why wouldn't you just take it off.

7 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why are you giving Ram the nod when GM did it much earlier and longer with the Avalanche and Escalade EXT?

No problem nice move GM. I never even looked at that vehicle.  I have always said like our boats the big manufactures make good products but many of us just like one brand over another.  I have had 40+ years of outstanding service from Ford so I am a Ford guy. My boat thoughts are much more open. I have had enough to have seen issues with some nothing bad enough to not look at a brand yet. I would guess if I bought A new boat next week it may very well be another brand.  I like my tug very much but I would be looking for things I don't see in Malibu now. But then I am not even looking!  

8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Depends.  when the pallet weighs a lot the forks can tend to dislodge the stuff on the pallet or smash it when you are forking half way in doing the tip and push trick.   Easy enough to remove the tailgate and not risk damaging it.

If I go to Menards or the freight terminal I don't worry about it.  Home depot and other places I would rather just remove the tailgate and not have to deal with it getting banged up. 2 cable clips and one electric connector before lifting it off is no big deal.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1