Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tailgate Wars

Hemmy

It appears the truck makers are down to how creative they can get with their tailgates in order to help sell their trucks now.  Everybody has a different twist now.  I don't think the tailgate would be my deciding factor on any truck.

image.png.194c013f1f7f12b622d8fa76a06ffb21.png

image.png.050d391799ec89e7c94ba768414a20a2.png

Here is the full article.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tailgate-wars-continue-rams-60-050100969.html

From a Ford guy I like GM's nice side bumper step. Simple functional and nothing to go wrong. You can keep the rest. just think how many contractors trucks you see with damaged tail gates. Now just think of the cost to fix them. This one looks like trouble. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, Sixball said:

From a Ford guy I like GM's nice side bumper step. Simple functional and nothing to go wrong. You can keep the rest. just think how many contractors trucks you see with damaged tail gates. Now just think of the cost to fix them. This one looks like trouble. 

I 100% agree. I know I’m a “Ram hater” but I really don’t get this. They say it’s for bed access in tight spaces. How?

I would prefer any kind of a step over how the tailgate opens.  I am shorter so jumping up on tailgates sucks after awhile, especially on the bigger Super Duty trucks. 
I am a fan of some of the tailgates that have the slow open feature so the tailgate can't drop hard when opened.

19 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I would prefer any kind of a step over how the tailgate opens.  I am shorter so jumping up on tailgates sucks after awhile, especially on the bigger Super Duty trucks. 
I am a fan of some of the tailgates that have the slow open feature so the tailgate can't drop hard when opened.

Any truck gate can have a "slow open feature."  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P05FBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the first mods I do to any truck, if not already equipped.

Funny thing is that Ford/Lincoln did a dutch door tailgate years ago on the Blackwood. (2002)  It was stupid then and it is stupid now. As someone who has had to buy replacement tailgates because I am hard on trucks - simple and cheaper is better.

Blackwood.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

I think it should open as one door to the side and then have a flip down bracket for support so you can haul long material in these short boxes.    haha 
(I know the hinge mech would be tough but one of my pet pevs is hauling long crap).  

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Funny thing is that Ford/Lincoln did a dutch door tailgate years ago on the Blackwood. (2002)  It was stupid then and it is stupid now. As someone who has had to buy replacement tailgates because I am hard on trucks - simple and cheaper is better.

Blackwood.jpg

Not many of them sold. But I did see one yesterday.

It also had the side wall storage. But you had to lift the cover to get in. And with that I will give Dodge the nod for the side storage. So with that I have given GM and Feat a :thumbup: But I am still putting my money into Ford / Lincoln.

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I think it should open as one door to the side and then have a flip down bracket for support so you can haul long material in these short boxes.    haha 
(I know the hinge mech would be tough but one of my pet pevs is hauling long crap).  

I should flip side ways, lay down, then the end drop to the ground so you can walk up it or drive your Lark right up in there.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I 100% agree. I know I’m a “Ram hater” but I really don’t get this. They say it’s for bed access in tight spaces. How?

I don't hat the Ram its just the second from the last that will see me in the show room.

Years ago GM offered the Suburban with doors vs a lift gate.  There is data out there on the uptake....  Mini Countryman as well...... rumor is that resale is a blood bath no matter the vehicle.

Tailgates are like fenders on trailers. They are the first thing to get abused. So why make them weaker and more expensive? My 2019 Silverado has an aluminum tailgate. One of the things I don't like about it, especially when I see how many tailgates on the new Fords are falling apart at a friends business on their trucks.

I like the idea in a RAM.  Think about the ease of loading the bed with a fork lift.  Or simply unloading the by being able to get nearly 2' closer to what is in the bed.

It wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but I like the innovation.

40 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I like the idea in a RAM.  Think about the ease of loading the bed with a fork lift.  Or simply unloading the by being able to get nearly 2' closer to what is in the bed.

It wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but I like the innovation.

I think I'd stick with simplicity and just take the 2 minutes to remove the tailgate if loading with short forks. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

How often are people actually having something out in their truck bed with a fork truck? I actually do quite often for work and have never had an issue with short forks, you just take the 30 seconds it takes to back up then re-lift the load and slide or move it the rest of the way forward. 

Few times a year, but yes as long as the operator is good they can just slide it.  Local menards has long forks, so no issues loading pallets with the gate on. 

On 2/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

How often are people actually having something out in their truck bed with a fork truck? I actually do quite often for work and have never had an issue with short forks, you just take the 30 seconds it takes to back up then re-lift the load and slide or move it the rest of the way forward. 

When I have loads on a palate over 2500 lbs I like to have it as far forward as possible so I spend the 30 seconds and take the tail gate off.  I do this at least 7-10 times a year.  The other issue with the barn doors is they do not swing all the way so if you are loading with a machine with a carriage over 5' wide they will be in the way (which is why my taillights are cracked).  I realize these are not problems most people encounter but it is why that set up would not work for me. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

When I have loads on a palate over 2500 lbs I like to have it as far forward as possible so I spend the 30 seconds and take the tail gate off.  I do this at least 7-10 times a year.  The other issue with the barn doors is they do not swing all the way so if you are loading with a machine with a carriage over 5' wide they will be in the way (which is why my taillights are cracked).  I realize these are not problems most people encounter but it is why that set up would not work for me. 

That is my point though, you are one of the few lol. 

• Like 1