Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater lights

Cboom12

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@asnowman, sorry for the delay. Weather has sucked, and still does, but I needed a break from working from home...

No model number on the lights, but I believe they are some form of the 12 LED light they offer. I can't find the exact model online.

Here is a picture of mine.

I also snagged this other picture off of IG a bit ago. This water looks terrible and the lights look great.

IMG_1452.thumb.jpg.32cdbac77948995635d2e02c5c33b30a.jpg

IMG_0624.PNG

Thanks. That is a great close up, now to figure out what they are.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, how much does  Malibu charge for those lights fromm the factory?  Their MSRP is pretty high, but you can find them from marine discounters for like $179 a piece.

ahopkins22LSV
33 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Out of curiosity, how much does  Malibu charge for those lights fromm the factory?  Their MSRP is pretty high, but you can find them from marine discounters for like $179 a piece.

800 MSRP for the pair. When you consider a 20-25% discount plus labor to install it’s a fair price imo. That’s why we check the box

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

800 MSRP for the pair. When you consider a 20-25% discount plus labor to install it’s a fair price imo. That’s why we check the box

Sure seems fair. 

• Like 1

What's the trick/best method to getting the holes drilled and wire out? I have an '04 LSV where I'm installing the LF9's and obviously where I need to put them is beneath the floor of my rear lockers.  I don't have any tanks under the lockers to worry about so there's that.  Do I simply drill a hole in the back rear floor and try and fish the wire up?  Anything else I should be worried about?

23 hours ago, RzrbackAV said:

What's the trick/best method to getting the holes drilled and wire out? I have an '04 LSV where I'm installing the LF9's and obviously where I need to put them is beneath the floor of my rear lockers.  I don't have any tanks under the lockers to worry about so there's that.  Do I simply drill a hole in the back rear floor and try and fish the wire up?  Anything else I should be worried about?

try and find the bolts that come through the transom for the swim platform brackets, then use that a reference point to where you can come through.  This is the best reference point I've seen to where I would know if I came through and accidently hit the stringers or some other blockage.  I vaguely remember my 04 VLX lockers but you should have hard tanks sitting on top of the floor right?  If you are super worried about where to come through, remove the tanks and the rear floors to get accuracy?  For me, if I go 3.75" over from the bottom swim platform bolt on the bracket, I'm in the clear from any issues on the inside.

8 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

try and find the bolts that come through the transom for the swim platform brackets, then use that a reference point to where you can come through.  This is the best reference point I've seen to where I would know if I came through and accidently hit the stringers or some other blockage.  I vaguely remember my 04 VLX lockers but you should have hard tanks sitting on top of the floor right?  If you are super worried about where to come through, remove the tanks and the rear floors to get accuracy?  For me, if I go 3.75" over from the bottom swim platform bolt on the bracket, I'm in the clear from any issues on the inside.

I've taken the side hard tanks out and upgraded to WakeMakers TankBusters.... so I have the whole back lockers to work with.  I just didn't want to pull carpet and panels if I could drill a basic hole through the back floor close to the platform brackets.  Open to any/all suggestions as this is a "new to me" boat.  

• 11 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

@asnowman, sorry for the delay. Weather has sucked, and still does, but I needed a break from working from home...

No model number on the lights, but I believe they are some form of the 12 LED light they offer. I can't find the exact model online.

Here is a picture of mine.

I also snagged this other picture off of IG a bit ago. This water looks terrible and the lights look great.

IMG_1452.thumb.jpg.32cdbac77948995635d2e02c5c33b30a.jpg

IMG_0624.PNG

Are you running these off the touch screen? I just installed them on mine and it doesn’t like running both of them. If I plug just one in they work great?

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Nalsv said:

Are you running these off the touch screen? I just installed them on mine and it doesn’t like running both of them. If I plug just one in they work great?

They were factory installed so yes off the touch screen. I’m guessing the wiring harness is there on all boat and you can just plug in or tie in to it. You will have to turn the accessory on for the button to display on the touch screen. 

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

They were factory installed so yes off the touch screen. I’m guessing the wiring harness is there on all boat and you can just plug in or tie in to it. You will have to turn the accessory on for the button to display on the touch screen. 

I wonder what fuse size they have running yours. The factory 5 amp on mine won’t run both. 

On 3/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, COOP said:

Im pretty sure its a 10 amp fuse. 

So I switched it out to a 10. But then I can’t shut them off. The screen acts like it errors out and the only way to shut them off is if I turn the battery’s off. The computer will run one at a time and everything works proper but as soon as I plug both in it errors out. Anybody else have this? I heard I have to add some relay possibly.

Edited by Nalsv

So it would blow a 5amp and stay on with a 10amp?

Usually when something stayed on in that generation it was a problem with the power module. 

Edited by COOP

1 hour ago, Nalsv said:

So I switched it out to a 10. But then I can’t shut them off. The screen acts like it errors out and the only way to shut them off is if I turn the battery’s off. The computer will run one at a time and everything works proper but as soon as I plug both in it errors out. Anybody else have this? I heard I have to add some relay possibly.

My underwater lights are on a 7.5A fuse on my 18' (which should be the same generation as yours.)   I know because I was blowing them faster than a kid eating skittles this past season.  Light had a crack so  @COOP got me a new light.

5 hours ago, Nalsv said:

On our 2019 i need to add a relay to get them to turn off.  That will be part of my spring to do list.

1 minute ago, asnowman said:

On our 2019 i need to add a relay to get them to turn off.  That will be part of my spring to do list.

Okay that’s what I was thinking. You have anymore detail on what relay and where to add it before I get to involved with trial and error? Thanks

14 minutes ago, Nalsv said:

Okay that’s what I was thinking. You have anymore detail on what relay and where to add it before I get to involved with trial and error? Thanks

give this post a read, its what i am largely basing my thinking off of

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone post a picture of where the new mounting position is on lights. I’m adding lights to my 2020 a24

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured out the solution to getting the lights to turn off? I just finished installing the techniq 12 led versions (supposed to be the OEM ones) and plugged them into the circuit at the back of the boat. Boat is a 18 vlx. Enabled it in the touch screen and if both are hooked up, they will turn on but not off. If just one is hooked up it’s not a problem. Have to completely turn battery power off to kill them. 

Anyone found a solution to this? Would like to avoid running a relay as that was the main reason I went with these “oem” versions. 

• 3 months later...