Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Five Cent Worth

2019 MXZ Question

Recommended Posts

Five Cent Worth

Hey Guys - Looking at potentially ordering a '19 MXZ.  Even though you can add a set of Rev 10's in the build tool, my dealer tells me that isn't an option on the G3.5 tower.  They confirmed with Malibu and I take their word (good dealer).  They say you have to purchase two sets and this seems a bit excessive for us.  Question, can you add one set if you don't order tower speakers or is this simply a fit issue and that doesn't work?  And any one have any experience in one set of Rev10's vs two sets of Rev8's?

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

I think @SCMike ordered his 2018 LSV without tower speakers then had his dealer order the factory tower amp and one set of Rev10's. His dealer then installed them both.

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
12 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think @SCMike ordered his 2018 LSV without tower speakers then had his dealer order the factory tower amp and one set of Rev10's. His dealer then installed them both.

This is exactly what I did.  The dealer just ordered the Amp, Speakers, and mounts from Malibu and installed them at the dealership prior to delivery.  The cost was pretty close (within $200-$300) to ordering 1 pair of rev8s as an option/installed at the factory 

If I were to do it again, I would just order everything directly from Wetsounds and install them on my own.  Not only will it save some money, but the Malibu factory amp seems to be de-tuned a bit and I don’t think the Rev10s project like they should.  I’ve heard time and time again, that 1 pair of Rev10s is more than enough, but I’m not  fully satisfied with the projection.  The sound is fantastic, but I can barely hear them when I’m surfing and the volume is full blast.  That partially may have to do with me NOT having a surfpipe though.  Im installing a surfpipe for the up coming season, so I’ll be able to get a better sense of how them sound after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247

On my 2019 25 lsv build, I had to order two pairs of Rev10's. They do sound good, but I am sure two pair of Rev10's could sound much better. When it comes to the amount of money spent on the boat, the addition $1500 for the second pair didn't seem like much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
14 minutes ago, SCMike said:

This is exactly what I did.  The dealer just ordered the Amp, Speakers, and mounts from Malibu and installed them at the dealership prior to delivery.  The cost was pretty close (within $200-$300) to ordering 1 pair of rev8s as an option/installed at the factory 

If I were to do it again, I would just order everything directly from Wetsounds and install them on my own.  Not only will it save some money, but the Malibu factory amp seems to be de-tuned a bit and I don’t think the Rev10s project like they should.  I’ve heard time and time again, that 1 pair of Rev10s is more than enough, but I’m not  fully satisfied with the projection.  The sound is fantastic, but I can barely hear them when I’m surfing and the volume is full blast.  That partially may have to do with me NOT having a surfpipe though.  Im installing a surfpipe for the up coming season, so I’ll be able to get a better sense of how them sound after that. 

I think surf pipe it going to change it A LOT for you. I can hear my Icon 8's just fine surfing. Actually I can even hear them skiing at 34mph. Barely, but I can.

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
5 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

On my 2019 25 lsv build, I had to order two pairs of Rev10's. They do sound good, but I am sure two pair of Rev10's could sound much better. When it comes to the amount of money spent on the boat, the addition $1500 for the second pair didn't seem like much.  

I agree, $1500 is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but from what I had heard 1 pair of properly powered Rev10s is the perfect set up. unfortunately for me, I just don’t think mine are powered correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think surf pipe it going to change it A LOT for you. I can hear my Icon 8's just fine surfing. Actually I can even hear them skiing at 34mph. Barely, but I can.

I can hear my Rev10s better wake boarding then wakesurfing.  I’m sure the surfpipe will help tremendously.  If not, I’ll order a new amp from wetsounds to get more power to the speakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
1 minute ago, SCMike said:

I agree, $1500 is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but from what I had heard 1 pair of properly powered Rev10s is the perfect set up. unfortunately for me, I just don’t think mine are powered correctly. 

Yes, I think you are right, but just think of the potential of having two pairs. I am going to do something so I can utilize the sound of both pairs. I hope the Wetsounds Rep comes to my dealer and he will re-tune my amps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450

I lost the factory integration but this conversation is why I did stereo delete. I know that you should not have any problem hearing even one set of Rev10’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TallRedRider

1 set of REV 10's is great for most people.  I considered a stereo delete on mine and powering it from scratch, but decided that factory integration would be better. I instead did no tower speakers and will put one pair up there and tune the amp properly to get better output.  I had 1 pair of REV 10's on both of my Nautiques and it was plenty to hear while wakeboarding.  I had 2 pair on my old Malibu and that was freaking awesome.  I always planned on moving up to two pair, but after having 1 for a while, it just didn't seem worth the trouble.  

It appears to me that the factory has dumbed down the amp settings so much that output is compromised.  

I will just install it myself, but I like doing that stuff.  I made sure to get mounts that would support a second pair and an amp that will support an extra pair as well.  So if I decide to go big again, it will be pretty simple.  You will need a DSP to RCA adapter.  One is available from Exile, but they told me they wouldn't guarantee it works with WetSounds gear, which I thought was stupid.  @MLA made mine, and I am very pleased with how it looks in the box.  My boat should be here within a week, I am hoping.  

EDIT:  I just missed a call from my dealer, hehehe! :clap:

Edited by TallRedRider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider

I copied @IXFE this year except only ran one amp instead of two to power 2 pairs of exile surf 9s. It was significantly less expensive than the factory options. I have no issues hearing them surfing and I do not have a surf pipe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

1 set of REV 10's is great for most people.  I considered a stereo delete on mine and powering it from scratch, but decided that factory integration would be better. I instead did no tower speakers and will put one pair up there and tune the amp properly to get better output.  I had 1 pair of REV 10's on both of my Nautiques and it was plenty to hear while wakeboarding.  I had 2 pair on my old Malibu and that was freaking awesome.  I always planned on moving up to two pair, but after having 1 for a while, it just didn't seem worth the trouble.  

It appears to me that the factory has dumbed down the amp settings so much that output is compromised.  

I will just install it myself, but I like doing that stuff.  I made sure to get mounts that would support a second pair and an amp that will support an extra pair as well.  So if I decide to go big again, it will be pretty simple.  You will need a DSP to RCA adapter.  One is available from Exile, but they told me they wouldn't guarantee it works with WetSounds gear, which I thought was stupid.  @MLA made mine, and I am very pleased with how it looks in the box.  My boat should be here within a week, I am hoping.  

All of this!

2 pair (powered right... and I'm not sure the jury is in on whether the dsp amps are tuned optimally) on a g3 is overkill.  The second (lower) pair is also so low as to blast out the cabin occupants.  Two pair of Rev10s properly powered is loud af.  If you have littles onboard or anyone who cares about their hearing it's really not a great idea.  If you MUST do two pair, I'd really try to figure a way to do the second pair from the hoop rather than the legs of the tower, to give the cabin occupants a fighting chance at avoiding certain hearing damage.

and just to show I'm not talking out my rear end, been there, done that.  Ran two pair for about 3-4 trips to the lake before deciding it was unnecessary.

5CD06638-5F44-43F9-9A72-556429325DA6_zps

(I think this pic was to show where I mounted my flushpro?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chappy
4 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Hey Guys - Looking at potentially ordering a '19 MXZ.  Even though you can add a set of Rev 10's in the build tool, my dealer tells me that isn't an option on the G3.5 tower.  They confirmed with Malibu and I take their word (good dealer).  They say you have to purchase two sets and this seems a bit excessive for us.  Question, can you add one set if you don't order tower speakers or is this simply a fit issue and that doesn't work?  And any one have any experience in one set of Rev10's vs two sets of Rev8's?

Thanks! 

I am not huge stereo guy but I got 2 pairs of the Icon 8's and they work great. my $.02 but I do not see the need for the rev 10's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
16 minutes ago, Chappy said:

I am not huge stereo guy but I got 2 pairs of the Icon 8's and they work great. my $.02 but I do not see the need for the rev 10's.

My last boat had one set of Rev8s and the sound quality of the stereo in the boat and surfing was really good, but a wake boarder could barely hear the music at all. Now with two pairs of Rev10's, the sound quality is phenomenal and I don't even need to turn it up too loud in order for my one wake boarder to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
19 minutes ago, Chappy said:

I am not huge stereo guy but I got 2 pairs of the Icon 8's and they work great. my $.02 but I do not see the need for the rev 10's.

Having run both, and currently running two pair of icon 8s, one pair of rev10s (properly powered and tuned) is more compact and louder and has more midbass than two pair of icons.  Weight for a single pair of rev10s and two pair of icons is exactly the same.

If I had it to do over again on my axis I would do a single pair of rev10s rather than the factory-installed icons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Five Cent Worth

Wow - thanks for all the feedback so quickly.  Not sure what we'll do.  Highly unlikely that we do two sets of Rev10's as it seems excessive and trying some what of cost control....(the irony in "cost control" growing up on a 17' MFG and talking about boats that cost $115 - $120k, LOL).  Shocked that I can't get one set of Rev10's from the factory as that seems like such a good option.  I think there a some good points here as we don't have a surf pipe on the VLX and one set of Rev8's isn't too bad.  Two sets  of Rev8's may be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk
9 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

All of this!

2 pair (powered right... and I'm not sure the jury is in on whether the dsp amps are tuned optimally) on a g3 is overkill.  The second (lower) pair is also so low as to blast out the cabin occupants.  Two pair of Rev10s properly powered is loud af.  If you have littles onboard or anyone who cares about their hearing it's really not a great idea.  If you MUST do two pair, I'd really try to figure a way to do the second pair from the hoop rather than the legs of the tower, to give the cabin occupants a fighting chance at avoiding certain hearing damage.

and just to show I'm not talking out my rear end, been there, done that.  Ran two pair for about 3-4 trips to the lake before deciding it was unnecessary.

5CD06638-5F44-43F9-9A72-556429325DA6_zps

(I think this pic was to show where I mounted my flushpro?)

Another plus for g4 tower...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX

I would have the dealer install 1 pair of Rev 10s after delivery.  There are numerous dealers who do this.  

I had a pair of Rev 10s on my A22 and couldn’t imagine having 2 pair.  They were loud and clear at point blank to halfway across the lake.  I never got around to installing tower speakers on the lsv and I managed to live through it.  The new boat has a pair of JL 8.8s and I think it is a good compromise for us.  I get some decent sound and no complaints from the neighbors, across the lake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
COOP

While I agree that the new amps are not tweaked to get the most out of the system, its Wet Sounds that set the tune. And they are picky about warranty. A blown coil from to much power is not covered under warranty. While most here know when to say stop, there are far more who dont and think that the gains are a volume control. Over the years (20+ in car audio alone) Ive seen way to many amps with gains twisted clockwise til they stop. Malibu and Wet Sounds are just trying to keep stuff from blowing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebalz

I ordered my 2019 MXZ with one pair of Icon 8's.  Is this going to be enough speaker for boat and surfing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
carguy79ta
22 hours ago, ID AX said:

I would have the dealer install 1 pair of Rev 10s after delivery.  There are numerous dealers who do this.  

I had a pair of Rev 10s on my A22 and couldn’t imagine having 2 pair.  They were loud and clear at point blank to halfway across the lake.  I never got around to installing tower speakers on the lsv and I managed to live through it.  The new boat has a pair of JL 8.8s and I think it is a good compromise for us.  I get some decent sound and no complaints from the neighbors, across the lake. 

I had 2 pair on my 15 A22. It was unbelievable. I have the down fire system on.my 257. Should have had wetsounds put in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
23 hours ago, COOP said:

While I agree that the new amps are not tweaked to get the most out of the system, its Wet Sounds that set the tune. And they are picky about warranty. A blown coil from to much power is not covered under warranty. While most here know when to say stop, there are far more who dont and think that the gains are a volume control. Over the years (20+ in car audio alone) Ive seen way to many amps with gains twisted clockwise til they stop. Malibu and Wet Sounds are just trying to keep stuff from blowing up.

Ok, but it seems that every single poster about the proprietary Malibu/WS  have said that they suck!  Not one compliment that I have read , maybe one? From an admitted non audio file 

before long no knowledgeable owners or those that research forums first are even going to order tower speakers and amps 

they all will do what IXFE did snd buy the in boats and sub package to get the black box, and then add but probably they will even eventually or immediately replace the inboats amp as well .  The SP 1 Axis plan ?  At least they wired my tower fir me, but I understand that was me getting something maybe for free , and ok let’s start the SP 1 Malibu plan snd we could even add our own sub.  IXFE only got the sub to get the Malibu Logo nice cover for it. 

OR they order it all so they don’t have to wire tower and then replace the amps like most who ordered them seem to have done already fir the ‘18’s, this seems a little silly 

Does Malibu figure that most buyers won’t know, don’t care, or don’t understand  snd they’ll still sell enough?   I’m guessing that would have to be their thinking if they continue this.

Maybe WS could make all of the adjustments digital and not analogue and then unauthorized changes could be tracked in a chip and warranties voided for those who choose to adjust more aggressively 

i think on Facebook or here a guy bought a used Tige WS proprietary amp snd had to force they guy to take it back because he couldn’t tune it.  He didn’t know or recognize the suffix , snd thought it was the regular WS version that he only figured out by pictures in pdf that it wasn’t 

 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
On 2/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Wow - thanks for all the feedback so quickly.  Not sure what we'll do.  Highly unlikely that we do two sets of Rev10's as it seems excessive and trying some what of cost control....(the irony in "cost control" growing up on a 17' MFG and talking about boats that cost $115 - $120k, LOL).  Shocked that I can't get one set of Rev10's from the factory as that seems like such a good option.  I think there a some good points here as we don't have a surf pipe on the VLX and one set of Rev8's isn't too bad.  Two sets  of Rev8's may be ideal.

Word on the street is part way through the season theyll add in the option to get one pair.  My dealer is ordering with two pairs of rev 10s and pulling one off to use on a stock boat that didnt get tower speakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
COOP
14 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok, but it seems that every single poster about the proprietary Malibu/WS  have said that they suck!  Not one compliment that I have read , maybe one? From an admitted non audio file 

before long no knowledgeable owners or those that research forums first are even going to order tower speakers and amps 

they all will do what IXFE did snd buy the in boats and sub package to get the black box, and then add but probably they will even eventually or immediately replace the inboats amp as well .  The SP 1 Axis plan ?  At least they wired my tower fir me, but I understand that was me getting something maybe for free , and ok let’s start the SP 1 Malibu plan snd we could even add our own sub.  IXFE only got the sub to get the Malibu Logo nice cover for it. 

OR they order it all so they don’t have to wire tower and then replace the amps like most who ordered them seem to have done already fir the ‘18’s, this seems a little silly 

Does Malibu figure that most buyers won’t know, don’t care, or don’t understand  snd they’ll still sell enough?   I’m guessing that would have to be their thinking if they continue this.

Maybe WS could make all of the adjustments digital and not analogue and then unauthorized changes could be tracked in a chip and warranties voided for those who choose to adjust more aggressively 

i think on Facebook or here a guy bought a used Tige WS proprietary amp snd had to force they guy to take it back because he couldn’t tune it.  He didn’t know or recognize the suffix , snd thought it was the regular WS version that he only figured out by pictures in pdf that it wasn’t 

 

The new setups dont suck. They actually sound pretty good(sub bass lacking aside), but they are not using the full output that they are capable of. Could they be better, of course. Malibu is going to continue down this path and the others will follow. Auto makers did the same thing, and everyone bitched, and they kept doing it, and people kept buying. The tunes will get better, but dont ever expect full output. There are far more people who buy factory and leave it alone then there are who want to upgrade. At least Malibu will let buyers order with a stereo delete for now, this may go away in the future in favor of more integration features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
58 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

they all will do what IXFE did snd buy the in boats and sub package to get the black box, and then add but probably they will even eventually or immediately replace the inboats amp as well .  The SP 1 Axis plan ?  At least they wired my tower fir me, but I understand that was me getting something maybe for free , and ok let’s start the SP 1 Malibu plan snd we could even add our own sub.  IXFE only got the sub to get the Malibu Logo nice cover for it. 

If you know my history, you know that I typically buy “stereo delete” to avoid the factory system entirely. Last year was the first year where I did as you said... factory cabin and sub + aftermarket tower. I did that mostly because I was feeling lazy last year and consensus on the new WS factory system was that it was pretty good. Turns out it was just “okay” for me.  The sub, in particular, is weak sauce.

Fast forward one year... I still ordered factory cabin and sub with plans to add aftermarket tower speakers. But my plan is to swap out the factory cabin+sub amp and subwoofer driver.

Still love that factory subwoofer grill! Last year I covered it in black Gatorstep and put a blue light behind it!

13F53F59-6BE5-463D-9A30-873AFF441288.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...