Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Super Duty

wakesonthesnake

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I don't get the low power numbers for the cubic inch of this motor. Not much more power than the 6.2 in my 1500 Chevy.

All about duty cycle. Otherwise they would just use the EcoBoost. 

5 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Did you read the article?  It made sense - the 7.3 will be efficient when under constant load which they expect more of in the super duty lineup than in the half tons where the EB is still a good choice.  At least that is how I read it.  

I bet towing heavy the average duty cycle of that engine would likely double an eco boost, maybe more.  It is big, strong, heavy, and probably derated well below what they could squeeze out of it: it is going to go into motorhomes and medium duty trucks, like the 450-650 platforms, in addition to the standard super duties.  

• Like 3

I was just making a point, duty cycle was hashed out several years ago on here when Malibu went with the Raptor 6.2 in the lineup. Why not build a bigger ecoboost? Maybe they tried and it wouldn't meet CAFE standards or had a short life under boost for extended periods of time. A close friend has both F250/6.2 and F150/2.8 and 3.5 ecboost trucks doing the same jobs as parts delivery vehicles, the F250's get better mileage than the F150's. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I was just making a point, duty cycle was hashed out several years ago on here when Malibu went with the Raptor 6.2 in the lineup. Why not build a bigger ecoboost? Maybe they tried and it wouldn't meet CAFE standards or had a short life under boost for extended periods of time. A close friend has both F250/6.2 and F150/2.8 and 3.5 ecboost trucks doing the same jobs as parts delivery vehicles, the F250's get better mileage than the F150's. 

Just like the old saying. No replacement for displacement. 😁 

On 8/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, MLBurns said:

I don’t believe CAFE governs any of the HD trucks.