Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 with 500 hours? Stay away or make a deal?

Yeaitsslo

2 hours ago, Yeaitsslo said:

The warranty was directly from the dealers mouth.   Said they would transfer it, $500 transfer fee.  I’m sure that could be negotiated.  It’s a small wake school.  They get a new boat every year from the same dealership.   So I’m sure they have had to sell all the other ones they have traded in.  

See section 6 of the warranty. Found on page 177. Boats used commercially are not eligible for a transfer of warranty. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/malibu-production-us-east-1/docs/owner-manuals/2018 Malibu Owners Manual.pdf

16 hours ago, RyanB said:

See section 6 of the warranty. Found on page 177. Boats used commercially are not eligible for a transfer of warranty. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/malibu-production-us-east-1/docs/owner-manuals/2018 Malibu Owners Manual.pdf

Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll have to figure out what the dealer is talking about now. 

Walk away....wait 60 days and take a look at all the other boats that are flooding the market.

Buying a boat from a local ski school with 500 hours on it over the course of 5-6 months is a recipe for disaster.  There is no way that boat was serviced properly which would be to the tune of 10 oil changes over the course of 5-6 months.  Do you have any documentation....dealer receipts, Walmart receipts?

There is a reason that the Ski School is selling that boat and it has to do with reliability.  They beat those boats up, load the hours up, put minimal service into them and the get out from them as fast a possible b/c they know that they can't risk running that boat again for another year.  Down time is killer for a ski school boat.  They too would have warranty in year 2....just like you.

Also - you better make sure you get the warm fuzzies from the local dealer when it comes time to get warranty service.  You are going to be last in line when it comes to warranty work and with a boat with that many hours, that's a bad spot to be in.  It's unfortunate, but that is the way it work when you buy outside the dealer network.

Last but not least....why does Tach say 500 RPM when the boat is sitting on the trailer and on land?

Sorry to paint a dark picture - but someone needs to do it.

12 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Last but not least....why does Tach say 500 RPM when the boat is sitting on the trailer and on land?

My 2017 T23 did the same thing since new, never knew why.

31 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Walk away....wait 60 days and take a look at all the other boats that are flooding the market.

Buying a boat from a local ski school with 500 hours on it over the course of 5-6 months is a recipe for disaster.  There is no way that boat was serviced properly which would be to the tune of 10 oil changes over the course of 5-6 months.  Do you have any documentation....dealer receipts, Walmart receipts?

There is a reason that the Ski School is selling that boat and it has to do with reliability.  They beat those boats up, load the hours up, put minimal service into them and the get out from them as fast a possible b/c they know that they can't risk running that boat again for another year.  Down time is killer for a ski school boat.  They too would have warranty in year 2....just like you.

Also - you better make sure you get the warm fuzzies from the local dealer when it comes time to get warranty service.  You are going to be last in line when it comes to warranty work and with a boat with that many hours, that's a bad spot to be in.  It's unfortunate, but that is the way it work when you buy outside the dealer network.

Sorry to paint a dark picture - but someone needs to do it.

Respectfully, I disagree.   There is A WAY maintenance was done, might just take some work to prove it, but in my personal experience I've seen way more ski school boats well-maintained than others that weren't, didn't used to be the case but now in the era of boats this expensive, I think schools and camps take way better care than we realize. 

Looks like this boat is now posted on the Dealers site... https://www.lakehopatcongmarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=6205045&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Punctures in the vinyl, the vinyl looks like it has 500 hours on it (looks like a car that has been hailed on) and the rear hatch cushions look to not close correctly or are out of alignment for some reason, missing engine panel dividers, and why can't someone take the time to turn that front cushion over for a picture.  No stereo, etc...  I got this from 10 pictures....I'm sure there is more...

I have a hard time believing that this boat was maintained well when it can't even be cleaned up or cushions flipped or divider panels put back in for pictures get it sold...

• 2 weeks later...

It is actually 550 hrs...  looks pretty banged-up on the interior.  I think it is very common practice for any commercial op to cycle boats every season, they just can't risk a boat going down next year, and at the hourly rates they charge no reason to worry about it.  That said, I'd be extremely cautious on the warranty transferring, and I'd probably want to see a better price.  This boat needs to be a screaming deal - look at 2014's that have 500hrs on them... this should be in that league.

• 1 month later...