Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 with 500 hours? Stay away or make a deal?

Yeaitsslo

Local wake school is selling off their 2018 a20.  Pretty basic with the surf package. But has a cool 500 hours on it.  They trade in for a new one every season.    Providing the boat is clean and free of damage would you be scared of a 500hr 2018?   Looking to get an a20 and could save some money.   

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2018-Axis-A20-for-sale-Lake-Hopatcong-New-Jersey-90231.aspx

thats the boat in question.   We don’t surf.   Pretty much only wakeboard, wakeskate, airchair or barefoot and just hang out on the lake.  Was looking to get one with the newer motor.  Don’t need a lot of features.  Coming from a mid 90’s response.  

We drove to Montana for Christmas; it took about 30 hours of driving and only 2000 miles. No one would be concerned about 30 hours of driving, but at that rate the boat has an equivalent of 36k miles. Although a boat takes more of a beating, if they take care of it, it should be fine. Looks like a good deal.

1 hour ago, bbattiste247 said:

We drove to Montana for Christmas; it took about 30 hours of driving and only 2000 miles. No one would be concerned about 30 hours of driving, but at that rate the boat has an equivalent of 36k miles. Although a boat takes more of a beating, if they take care of it, it should be fine. Looks like a good deal.

I see your point.  But i look at some of our work trucks running gas motors and if you go into the computer you can see they average around 4000hrs a year.  Granted we only keep them for 2 years.   But that’s a ton of idle time.  Mostly fords we use.  And haven’t seen any reliability.   The dealer said there’s 4 years left of warranty on the boat.  I need to see it in person to judge.  But from a mechanical stand point i can’t see any harm?   

500 engine hours wouldn’t scare me a bit as long as the oil was changed regularly and all the maintenance was performed per manual. All that preferably by a dealership.

What would scare me is that the boat was commercially used as a school barge. Imagine how many students/riders hopped on and off the boat in these 500 hours.

I would inspect it REALLY close prior to making an offer!

Depends how long you plan on keeping it. 550 hours is roughly 6 years of use for the average boat owner. Do you feel you’re buying at a price that has 5 years of depreciation built in? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Depends how long you plan on keeping it. 550 hours is roughly 6 years of use for the average boat owner. Do you feel you’re buying at a price that has 5 years of depreciation built in? 

I don’t think that’s 5 years of depreciation.  I do know that I’ll only do maybe 40 hours a season and we plan to keep whatever we buy for a while.   I Feel like it could be had for a good price?  Worth the gamble? Idk

From a mechanical standpoint, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a boat that has 500 hours on it.

From a resale/stigma standpoint, maybe there's some risk. If you're keeping it for a while and will end up averaging the hours out a lot lower over time, then that helps for sure.

I would take a hard look at the warranty, if warranty coverage is part of your consideration.  on my 2016 axis warranty, the warranty period is shortened significantly if the boat is used for commercial purposes.

Like @Chaabo said, long as the maintenance was done, but this got me thinking, 550 Hrs / 50 is 11 oil changes.........that's a lot of pulling out of the water and taking to dealer for an oil change....Unless of course they do it themselves while the boat is still in the water (if one can ever do it this way?)

34 minutes ago, Yeaitsslo said:

I don’t think that’s 5 years of depreciation.  I do know that I’ll only do maybe 40 hours a season and we plan to keep whatever we buy for a while.   I Feel like it could be had for a good price?  Worth the gamble? Idk

In think you just answered your own question, only 40 hours a year snd warrsnty left , this is a no brainer with that thrown in, just do a deep crevice cleaning and enjoy, don’t forget to price in the 1000-1200 in transfer fees, get that thrown in and you should be good to go , remember this is a highly used 20 ft nes boat but still 20 ft in the middle of winter, try to get those fees included and say I’ll buy tomorrow 

i have 628  hours in a ‘14 a20 with no warranty since ‘15, still keeps chugging 

1 hour ago, mackie12 said:

Like @Chaabo said, long as the maintenance was done, but this got me thinking, 550 Hrs / 50 is 11 oil changes.........that's a lot of pulling out of the water and taking to dealer for an oil change....Unless of course they do it themselves while the boat is still in the water (if one can ever do it this way?)

With an extraction pump, oil change on the water is pretty easy, really.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

With an extraction pump, oil change on the water is pretty easy, really.

Was gonna say the same thing.  And usually it’s faster then waiting for it to drain. 

13 minutes ago, Yeaitsslo said:

Was gonna say the same thing.  And usually it’s faster then waiting for it to drain. 

zactly. Do it at the end of a good run on the water with hot oil, and it's super fast.

2 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

never done it that way, what do you do for the filter change (Spillage).......?

the same thing you'd do on land?  On this axis/crusader motor there should be a remote oil filter that faces down.  double up a couple of ziplock bags over the filter as you remove and the oil and filter should go in the bag.  keep a paper towel or two to wipe up the drips (or better yet lay it under the filter before you remove, to catch them).

• Like 3
Just now, shawndoggy said:

the same thing you'd do on land?  On this axis/crusader motor there should be a remote oil filter that faces down.  double up a couple of ziplock bags over the filter as you remove and the oil and filter should go in the bag.  keep a paper towel or two to wipe up the drips (or better yet lay it under the filter before you remove, to catch them).

I always cut down a milk jug which works and is clean but the ziplock idea seems so much better.

6 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I might have to try this, sounds easier! in regards to filling, add what you took out and check level after?

I mean on my motor I know what it takes, so it's pretty easy.  Fill filter with oil + a touch less than 4q in the pan = full on the dipstick.

Hours don't scare me.  In 4 seasons with my boat I have 500 hours.  I know my boat is properly maintained - I change the oil every 50 hours.  I would want to see evidence of that on the boat in question.  I do know that resale is a factor.  Search Craigslist around here, and almost all the boats, regardless of age, have less than 300 hours on them.  The more hours on a boat, the more people seem to want to avoid it.

To me, that price seems a little high for the number of hours.  But I could be wrong.

And I would double check the warranty status.  As was stated, Malibu shortens the warranty with commercial use.  And the warranty isn't a flat number of years - it is years and/or hours.  At least it was in 2014 (warranty expired at 400 hours).

4 hours ago, RyanB said:

Hours don't scare me.  In 4 seasons with my boat I have 500 hours.  I know my boat is properly maintained - I change the oil every 50 hours.  I would want to see evidence of that on the boat in question.  I do know that resale is a factor.  Search Craigslist around here, and almost all the boats, regardless of age, have less than 300 hours on them.  The more hours on a boat, the more people seem to want to avoid it.

To me, that price seems a little high for the number of hours.  But I could be wrong.

And I would double check the warranty status.  As was stated, Malibu shortens the warranty with commercial use.  And the warranty isn't a flat number of years - it is years and/or hours.  At least it was in 2014 (warranty expired at 400 hours).

The warranty was directly from the dealers mouth.   Said they would transfer it, $500 transfer fee.  I’m sure that could be negotiated.  It’s a small wake school.  They get a new boat every year from the same dealership.   So I’m sure they have had to sell all the other ones they have traded in.