Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Prop for VTX

AKjoe

I currently have an OJ 948 prop (15x14) for my ‘18 VTX with the 410 engine.  I’m looking at getting a second speed prop for skiing/bare footing (I would still use the 948 for any surfing).  Top contenders for the speed prop are the OJ 912 (14.75x15.75) and the Acme 1591 (14x16).  

I should be fine with the OJ 912 (it is recommended by Malibu as the speed prop).  Does anyone out there have the Acme 1591 or similar?  My sense is that I would be pushing the limits a bit and definitely loose some hole shot because it only has a 14 inch diameter, but Acme seems to think it would be OK as a skiing/bare footing only prop.  I’m in Dallas, so elevation isn’t an issue.

Edited by AKjoe
Clarification
34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

1939 was the stock high speed prop on the 2015 and older vtx, it is what i run on my 2012.   Good for 49 mph on glass  (with a long run up) 

Interesting.  I’ve heard that the ski wake on the 2015 VTX and older models is a bit better than the newer models.  I wonder if part of the difference is due to the change in diameter of the stock props (14 inches versus 15 inches).  

6 minutes ago, AKjoe said:

Interesting.  I’ve heard that the ski wake on the 2015 VTX and older models is a bit better than the newer models.  I wonder if part of the difference is due to the change in diameter of the stock props (14 inches versus 15 inches).  

There are quite a few differences in the 2015- older and the 2016 to present boats, prop diameter is just one of them.

ahopkins22LSV

I’d call OJ and talk to them about the 951. Comes as the standard prop now for the VTX and I was told they tweaked it and introduced it for 2019 specifically for the VTX. I’ve been very happy with it. No issues skiing or surfing with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Wonder if that setup could pull a 381.  It's an old prop design but at 17.5 is pretty steep.  My old man's '01 SSVLX with Monsoon loves that prop.

Hard to say, but both Acme and OJ said my boat wouldn’t do well with a 17” prop. So I ordered the Acme 1591 (14x16), which Acme said should work as a speed prop.  If it doesn’t work, I’ll go with the OJ 912 (14.75x15.75), which I know will work.

I’ll use the speed prop during the winter when I’m just waterskiing/barefooting with a buddy or two and use the stock prop (OJ 948 15x14) during the summer when it’s loaded down with family and for surfing. 

• 1 month later...

Following up with results:  I tried both the Acme 1591 (14x16) and the OJ 912 (14.75x15.75).  

1591 didn’t perform well.  Less prop wash but only 1 to 1.5 mph gain in top speed from 41 to ~42.5.  Not advisable to try surfing with it, either. 

OJ 912 bumped the top speed up to ~43 mph, or about 2 mph total.  I was hoping to get 44 or 45 mph, but it seems like the hull design simply won’t allow it. Still plenty of hole shot. I am not planning to surf with it, but it can do it if necessary. 

• Like 1