Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New video... 25 LSV vs. G23

IXFE

9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I don't see it that way.  How is the wave impacted by 5 inch chop?  It does not affect the running attitude and the boat flattens it all out by the time it gets to the wave.  the riding surface is unaffected.  

Looks more than 5 inch chop but regardless if you don’t think that riding in chop vs glass effects a rider or your wave I guess we will just disagree.  

Either way it’s just kinda of comical that the Malibu wave wins in every category, running in ideal conditions, and set up at a speed that is known to be too slow for a G

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think it was stated earlier in this thread that measurements were not based on the rider.

If the lenght isn’t measured by the rider then fine my point isn’t valid.    By I do question how they measured lenght of wave then.  

Just visually when the wave starts to curl? 

How would you know where it lost its push? 

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

If the lenght isn’t measured by the rider then fine my point isn’t valid.    By I do question how they measured lenght of wave then.  

Just visually when the wave starts to curl? 

How would you know where it lost its push? 

I agree. I honestly don’t know how they did it, I just feel like I recall reading that. I’d be curious to know as well. 

I think I going to call BS on these videos :-/... I really wanted them to be "accurate" but this evening we went out and demo'ed a new 23LSV and with the stock setup (with some PnP bags but not sure how big they were) and I used the  "default surf settings" (10.6, full ballast, wedge down)  the wave looked NOTHING like the 23LSV in the video.. not even remotely close (and therefore I walked away  extremely disappointed.) The boat we demo'ed felt like it needed a TON of weight in the front to add any length to the wave. The wave was med height but looked very short and far to angled out to the side (instead of behind the boat) and no curl at the end, I tried speeding up all the way to 12 and that was still marginal. Wedge was all the way down (raising it any obviously made things worse.)  I was expecting an awesome surf wave from a the new 23LSV w/ stock ballast+PnP and I walked away confused and questioning this boat. (knowing what I know of dialing in a wave if felt like I needed less wedge, more speed (but I tried up to 12mph) and a ton more weight in the bow (I was questioning if the bow tank actually filled but it said 100%.) Everyone was around the middle of the boat (3 adults, 2 kids) and even when I went to the bow it didn't help much.)  Our 2008 23LSV w/ stock ballast + 800 piggybacks, power wedge all the way down and GSA @ 11.0-11.6 MPH is a significantly better (longer, higher, cleaner) wave (much closer to the video.)  Someone please tell me their stock 2018/2019 23LSV puts out a wave on par with the video so I can have a bit more confidence in a new boat and that something was just not right today during our demo.

24 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Someone please tell me their stock 2018/2019 23LSV puts out a wave on par with the video so I can have a bit more confidence in a new boat and that something was just not right today during our demo.

Here’s a few pics with stock plus 475 PNP in a 2018 and 2019. I won’t say they’re better or comparable to the videos, given angles and all, but I think they’re better than what you’re describing.

Top two are from a 2018 with only stock and 475 PNPs. Last pic is on a 2019 23 LSV demo with 2 guys in the boat, 475 PNP full on surf side and 75% other side, speed 10.6-11.0 and PW3 at 3-4 clicks. Rider is 6’3”.

1B3CEA18-EDA1-4903-B4A5-5244BDBC5975.thumb.jpeg.4548d5602fc4144b2d7079ebd3e78ed0.jpeg

D21C676A-B2F0-4828-8E23-15A024009C7B.thumb.jpeg.069ad9132572c3252c3bda0e02d7be58.jpeg

3F8C4A63-F4D3-4F25-963A-76B46C4131AA.thumb.jpeg.172e5ecd1c529c7650bcb3c660feb08e.jpeg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Here’s a few pics with stock plus 475 PNP in a 2018 and 2019. I won’t say they’re better or comparable to the videos, given angles and all, but I think they’re better than what you’re describing.

Top two are from a 2018 with only stock and 475 PNPs. Last pic is on a 2019 23 LSV demo with 2 guys in the boat, 475 PNP full on surf side and 75% other side, speed 10.6-11.0 and PW3 at 3-4 clicks. Rider is 6’3”.

1B3CEA18-EDA1-4903-B4A5-5244BDBC5975.thumb.jpeg.4548d5602fc4144b2d7079ebd3e78ed0.jpeg

D21C676A-B2F0-4828-8E23-15A024009C7B.thumb.jpeg.069ad9132572c3252c3bda0e02d7be58.jpeg

3F8C4A63-F4D3-4F25-963A-76B46C4131AA.thumb.jpeg.172e5ecd1c529c7650bcb3c660feb08e.jpeg

Thanks.. that looks much better than what I saw today.  Why the uneven PnP bags?  Is evenly weighting the 2019 not ideal?  Your 2018 photos are very similar to what we get out of our 2008 and what I was expecting from the 2019.  (we actually demo'ed a 2018 and a 2019.. so it was interesting to see the difference between the Raptor and the PCM.. but both (even with surf pipe) were significantly louder than the 5.7 Monsoon 340 in our current boat... they both were very "rumbly" with vibrations... sort of wonder if all the carpet everywhere on the old 2008 design keeps things quieter vs. the new boats. 

26 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Thanks.. that looks much better than what I saw today.  Why the uneven PnP bags?  Is evenly weighting the 2019 not ideal?  Your 2018 photos are very similar to what we get out of our 2008 and what I was expecting from the 2019.  (we actually demo'ed a 2018 and a 2019.. so it was interesting to see the difference between the Raptor and the PCM.. but both (even with surf pipe) were significantly louder than the 5.7 Monsoon 340 in our current boat... they both were very "rumbly" with vibrations... sort of wonder if all the carpet everywhere on the old 2008 design keeps things quieter vs. the new boats. 

I'll run level with the rear/475s both at 75%, or slightly list it since I'm trying to improve the regular side wave. With both PNPs full, I found I needed extra bow weight to keep the wave cleaned up, but I didn't use any bow weight last year. Otherwise too much water was spilling over the surfgates, which it sounds like could have been an issue on your demos. For 2019, I'm planning to use 200-300 lbs up in the observer's compartment and fill the 550/580 PNP bags full. 

I had a 2008 23 LSV with the 340 until last spring too, and ran 800s in the lockers with a bow sac. The 2018/2019 wave is definitely better and bigger than what I was used to on the 2008. 

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I'll run level with the rear/475s both at 75%, or slightly list it since I'm trying to improve the regular side wave. With both PNPs full, I found I needed extra bow weight to keep the wave cleaned up, but I didn't use any bow weight last year. Otherwise too much water was spilling over the surfgates, which it sounds like could have been an issue on your demos. For 2019, I'm planning to use 200-300 lbs up in the observer's compartment and fill the 550/580 PNP bags full. 

I had a 2008 23 LSV with the 340 until last spring too, and ran 800s in the lockers with a bow sac. The 2018/2019 wave is definitely better and bigger than what I was used to on the 2008. 

I guess silly me for thinking in 2018 I could spend $120k for a wake boat and be able to just hit a button and the defaults would kick out an awesome wave.  I have no interest in spending that much cash to have to go drop lead in the boat or add extra sacks around the boat to even things out to get a good wave. :-/ grrrrrrr.  

7 hours ago, gregtay said:

I guess silly me for thinking in 2018 I could spend $120k for a wake boat and be able to just hit a button and the defaults would kick out an awesome wave.  I have no interest in spending that much cash to have to go drop lead in the boat or add extra sacks around the boat to even things out to get a good wave. :-/ grrrrrrr.  

I had the 2018 last year and didn’t add any extra ballast or lead. Just make one or two people sit up front in the bow.  That’s all it needs. 

• Like 3

Most people here agree that they want their boat to be optimized for the wave/wake they use.  I run 1000lb lead in mine placed just aft of midship. Doesnt bother me in the slightest. Generally more weight will optimize the boat(wave). And if you want more wt, it needs to be balanced out, not all in the back...I know...preaching to the choir..

10 hours ago, gregtay said:

Just to clarify, I was very happy with my 2018 out of the box once I realized where the optimal rear ballast levels were. It's simply hitting the rear fill to 75% for both, or filling the surfside one to 100% if I'm taking a turn behind the boat. My comment on running a bit of lead in 2019 is just because I geek out a bit on waves, and think I might be able to get a slightly better wave for not much hassle. Comparing it to a buddy's dialed in 2017 with a bow sac, we both thought the 2018 was a little better wave. 

You'll see the same on a G23, where "dialing it in" means 400-500 lbs of lead in the port side compartments.

I get what you're saying though - none of these waves are $70K better than what you can get on your 2008. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Just to clarify, I was very happy with my 2018 out of the box once I realized where the optimal rear ballast levels were. It's simply hitting the rear fill to 75% for both, or filling the surfside one to 100% if I'm taking a turn behind the boat. My comment on running a bit of lead in 2019 is just because I geek out a bit on waves, and think I might be able to get a slightly better wave for not much hassle. Comparing it to a buddy's dialed in 2017 with a bow sac, we both thought the 2018 was a little better wave. 

You'll see the same on a G23, where "dialing it in" means 400-500 lbs of lead in the port side compartments.

I get what you're saying though - none of these waves are $70K better than what you can get on your 2008. 

Thanks. That helps... but still a bit surprised. Funny how one of the comments I got from the Malibu rep on one reasons the 23LSV is better than the Supra is “you weight the 23LSV level, with the Supra you will still need to list a bit and you will never run it even/level” 😳(which I believe is true from what I have read about the Supra... but didn’t expect it on the new LSV.) Interesting decision for us to make between the boats or just keeping our current LSV. Maybe my expectations are too high. 😏

But we are at least being smart about the decision and driving/demo’ing everything back to back so that we can be absolutely sure about the final decision. It really all comes down to the wave.

would love to see some more 18/19 23LSV waves if you guys have photos (or a video.) thx

I didn’t get a lot of pics last season.  This one is not the best, but...

Surfer is 6’4”. Note that he’s halfway up the face the wave and nowhere near the back. I added the red arrow to show aprox where the back curl would be (if you could see it). 

We ride at 11mph with stock ballast, 550 PnP, and I try to keep 1-2 people in the bow. Wedge is usually 1-2 clicks from “ramp.”

No extra bags. No lead. No artificial list. Wave is great (and this from a guy who used to run lots of extra weight). 

9AB2FBD0-3814-424C-88CE-6362AF32F099.jpeg

48 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Surfer is 6’4”. Note that he’s halfway up the face the wave and nowhere near the back. I added the red arrow to show aprox where the back curl would be (if you could see it). 

We ride at 11mph with stock ballast, 550 PnP, and I try to keep 1-2 people in the bow. Wedge is usually 1-2 clicks from “ramp.”

No extra bags. No lead. No artificial list. Wave is great (and this from a guy who used to run lots of extra weight). 

This makes me think the owner of the 17 23LSV, and the dealer of the 18 23LSV that I demoed, didn’t have them set up properly. I had the same experience as @gregtayThey were both running 450 PnP. Nothing in the bow. But when I demoed the 17 there were 6 guys 200 plus and 2 teenage girls in the boat. The 18. Were myself, my wife and 22 year old daughter, and the dealer. I was really expecting more from the 18.  I did not even demo the 25. I took the word from other members here that I would not be disappointed. And we just can’t do the lines of the the other boats. 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, Sparky450 said:

This makes me think the owner of the 17 23LSV, and the dealer of the 18 23LSV that I demoed, didn’t have them set up properly. I had the same experience as @gregtayThey were both running 450 PnP. Nothing in the bow. But when I demoed the 17 there were 6 guys 200 plus and 2 teenage girls in the boat. The 18. Were myself, my wife and 22 year old daughter, and the dealer. I was really expecting more from the 18.  I did not even demo the 25. I took the word from other members here that I would not be disappointed. And we just can’t do the lines of the the other boats. 

I think something was wrong with your set up.  Last season was my first with my 2018 LSV.  I put 70 hours on it, and felt the wave was great.  I ran it stock with 550 PNP in the rear, wedge 2 clicks from ramp, and 10.8mph. My typical crew was 4 (me, wife, and two pre-teen daughters.  My 10yo daughter would sit in the bow most of the time, but that was the only extra weight I would run up front.  Never once did I need to list the boat, nor did I feel adding weight in the bow was nessassary.  I will say, I did buy 300# of lead weight to add to the boat this year, just because we ride with a small crew and I like the wave even more with a bigger crew and wanted to simulate that.  

@gregtay, I’m not sure what your expectations are, but I’m extremely happy with the out of the boat performance of my 2018 23lsv.  You absolutely do not “need” and extra weight outside of PNP in my opinion.  Heck, there were times last season that I even surfed without the PNP full, and only full MLS. 

• Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, IXFE said:

mehhhh that wave doesn't look any better than my VTX

as you can see the rider is scared to death and holding on the rope fully extended 25 feet back and is not at the end of the wave.  The face measures 2X that of the G23 and height of the wave is also 2X that of the G23... Rider is 7 feet for reference.  

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0H49FsL_48ra8vQLBozjrgxGg

*Study conducted by neutral party and is no way endorsed or has any financial interest in MMBU

Edit: Also should be noted I am running nothing but stock setup with one small infant seated in the bow.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
7 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

not a chance.  I have a 23 and my buddy has a 21 and there is a significant difference.  

1 hour ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

as you can see the rider is scared to death and holding on the rope fully extended 25 feet back and is not at the end of the wave.  The face measures 2X that of the G23 and height of the wave is also 2X that of the G23... Rider is 7 feet for reference.  

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0H49FsL_48ra8vQLBozjrgxGg

*Study conducted by neutral party and is no way endorsed or has any financial interest in MMBU

:rofl:

19 hours ago, SCMike said:

I think something was wrong with your set up.  Last season was my first with my 2018 LSV.  I put 70 hours on it, and felt the wave was great.  I ran it stock with 550 PNP in the rear, wedge 2 clicks from ramp, and 10.8mph. My typical crew was 4 (me, wife, and two pre-teen daughters.  My 10yo daughter would sit in the bow most of the time, but that was the only extra weight I would run up front.  Never once did I need to list the boat, nor did I feel adding weight in the bow was nessassary.  I will say, I did buy 300# of lead weight to add to the boat this year, just because we ride with a small crew and I like the wave even more with a bigger crew and wanted to simulate that.  

@gregtay, I’m not sure what your expectations are, but I’m extremely happy with the out of the boat performance of my 2018 23lsv.  You absolutely do not “need” and extra weight outside of PNP in my opinion.  Heck, there were times last season that I even surfed without the PNP full, and only full MLS. 

@SCMike Good questions on expectations... I think the hope is that I would see a wave that was higher and a little longer than what my current 23LSV w/GSA puts out. At a minimum I was hoping it would be at least the same.  I don't think I had some crazy expectations but I know how to dial in a wave and what I saw during the demo was too short and too far off to the side of the transom (vs more being "behind" the boat) which told me that we needed less wedge (the wedge was all the way down), more weight in the bow (we had 3 small adults and 2 very small kids all mid ship huddled behind the windscreen... I did try moving to the bow but not much change), or more speed.. 12.0 looked a little better than 10.6 but the motor was screaming and don't usually surf that fast.. I like 11.2-11.6.    And my initial comments were about calling BS on Malibu's videos...  because what we experienced (when just pushing the surf preset button per the "testing methodology" was nothing close to this video... if it has been I would have walked away from the demo super happy and excited:

Edited by gregtay
ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, SCMike said:

The issue is the wedge.  That setting is WAY too aggressive.  That is the cause for all three issues you stated. (Short wave, bow high, and screaming motor) My wedge is set at two clicks from ramp.  I rarely have any weight in the bow and have a really nice wave with great push.  Even the stock out of the box settings are much better then what you were running.   You might want to re demo and use the following set up. 

Wedge: 2 click from ramp (2018, not sure if the 2019s will be the same with PW2)

speed: 10.8-11.2 (find the speed that works for you in this range)

ballast: Full MLS and 450-550 PNP. 

Thats it.  No secret sauce. 

Probably 3 from ramp on PWIII

10 hours ago, SCMike said:

The issue is the wedge.  That setting is WAY too aggressive.  That is the cause for all three issues you stated. (Short wave, bow high, and screaming motor) My wedge is set at two clicks from ramp.  I rarely have any weight in the bow and have a really nice wave with great push.  Even the stock out of the box settings are much better then what you were running.   You might want to re demo and use the following set up. 

Wedge: 2 click from ramp (2018, not sure if the 2019s will be the same with PW2)

speed: 10.8-11.2 (find the speed that works for you in this range)

ballast: Full MLS and 450-550 PNP. 

Thats it.  No secret sauce. 

I had the wedge at full down.. least aggressive possible.  I certainly understand how the wedge impacts the wave and even asked if there was a way to put the wedge down further because it seemed way to aggressive. 

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

I had the wedge at full down.. least aggressive possible.  I certainly understand how the wedge impacts the wave and even asked if there was a way to put the wedge down further because it seemed way to aggressive. 

Fully down is the most aggressive.

take a look at this video.  Doesn’t show every position,  it has a few to demonstrate wedge position and attitude.

7 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Fully down is the most aggressive.

take a look at this video.  Doesn’t show every position,  it has a few to demonstrate wedge position and attitude.

Huh? Either something have drastically changed from PW1 or we are miscommunicating terms. Wedge all the way down should be least amount of negative lift/force.  As the wedge comes up(and that means backwards slightly) the angle of the wedge creates more negative lift as the angle gets more aressive in the water(more downward pull on the stern of the boat, causes bow rise.) At least that is how PW 1 works.. autowedge confirms this... it puts the wedge all the way down when you stop for the least drag durn a launch and then raises the wedge to your selected position once you get near your set speed. I’m I getting something wrong?