Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New video... 25 LSV vs. G23

IXFE

3 minutes ago, CJAY said:

This surf pontoon was at our boat show this year. Comes with a grill option, which a long with a bad a** stereo, is a must.  You can put so much ballast in it and they come in a 21, 23 and 25 ft model.  My buddy actually is on the waiting list

https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/10/08/minnesota-based-montara-boats-introduces-surf-pontoon/

25 footer at 25,000 lbs!!! haha

1 minute ago, Hemmy said:

My lake is only 370 acres.  We have several wake boats, but I see most of them using them to pull tubers.  The problem with my lake is it is shallow most of the way around.  We have a hole that is about 35' deep but does not extend the entire length.  I have to do some circles to keep surfing.  I don't think a 27' or even a 25' boat would be ideal for my lake.  The shallow part of it is the buzz kill for sure.

the beauty of the wakeboats is their shallow draft! a 27lsv wouldn't be much more (depending if they increase the V depth) or not. lots of places on our lake 5ft-6ft still no problem so long as your not starting/plowing in those areas but at cruise 18+mph no problem. a 27lsv wouldnt be any different than your average 19ft IO

10 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

25 footer at 25,000 lbs!!! haha

Crazy amount of weight, wonder about the shape.  Not sure the engines I've seen on it could push that though.  Huge boat! ........and it comes with a grill!

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

A guy on the Planet Nautique website had so many problems with his G23 (including a broken shaft or two),  he frequently posted this picture of his storage compartment....

Nauitrollingmotor.jpg.66f90b335fd90499c9be1a9756fa3d20.jpg

Been there.  Having that would have been awesome.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, 67King said:

Just a point about the "factory PnP bags."  I would imagine you won't ever see them because they would probably put the boat over the max USCG allowable weight, and they won't be able to sell them that way.

Doesn't affect me one way or another.  Not buying a new boat any time soon, and if I had my preference, it'd be a DD (suck at both, but I'd rather ski than surf any day of the week).

If you use the factory recommended bags on a Malibu or Axis since 2016 they will not put the boat over the USCG weight limit. They are figured into the capacity.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

@Lees23- MC and Bu do the PnP thing differently than each other.

Malibu rates the capacity of their boats without the PnP bags, and offers an option so that you can add your own. They don’t provide the bags with the boat. Any weight you add with PnP subtracts from the capacity in a Bu.

MC offers the option, and rates the capacity of the boat with the bags that are included with the boat. The factory supplied bags are smaller than what most folks will run. Upgraded PnP bags are usually the first mod. Same with Bu. Adding PnP bags is usually the first mod.

Please reference my earlier posts Sir. Since 2016 they are factored in and do not take away from the max capacity.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Please reference my earlier posts Sir. Since 2016 they are factored in and do not take away from the max capacity.

We did address this earlier in the thread...… And according to Malibu owners manuals, and the respective ratings, they started factoring them in 2018, not 2016.

Either way, I wasn't aware of the recent change, but IXFE made note of that, and it was covered. :cheers:

4 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

We did address this earlier in the thread...… And according to Malibu owners manuals, and the respective ratings, they started factoring them in 2018, not 2016.

Either way, I wasn't aware of the recent change, but IXFE made note of that, and it was covered. :cheers:

Must be an oversight on the manual, just confirmed with an engineer at Malibu. Began in 2016.

30 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Must be an oversight on the manual, just confirmed with an engineer at Malibu. Began in 2016.

Huh.  How much did the capacity of the 16 LSV drop by vs the 15?  Anybody know what their capacity plates say?

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Cool, but you might want to tell your Malibu engineer friend that he is playing with some serious product liability fire by saying so. If the manual and warning labels on a 2017 say that the ballast bags count against the capacity, and some fool finds a way to sink one (happens)...... it’s not gonna matter what the engineer says.

multiple location, redundant ink is going to trump hearsay. 

‘It really doesn’t matter anyway. We are wasting bandwidth at this point.

18 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Just curious, is this the same engineer that told you they didn’t install the Bimini on the g4 tower before the boats left the plant? 😆 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Ronnie said:

I don't get it. I can see a cruiser that size but I don't want any part of a 27' tow boat. You start getting that many people on a boat and your turns get farther apart. You go out for lets say 4 hours, you get two runs, two hours apart! Unless you're dragging a boat load of people around that don't ride, or maybe you don't really ride.

Maybe a pontoon with a playpen would work? I think some people are intrested in these boats because they look cool in them. I see people buying these boats that will never use them like they are designed to be used. I had a guy last Saturday at the Dallas show ask if he could order a 23 without gates and a wedge. He just wanted to cruise. I told him we could order it anyway he wanted, not sure he would ever be able to resell it though. I also had a guy ask where the trolling motor goes on a M235 too but he was in the wrong booth, I told him if he bought the boat, we could put a trolling motor on it. ;)

Bigger boat does not automatically equal a bigger crew. On said 40'+ boats I mentioned above I would say typically that you will see either a family of 4 on one or maybe 2-3 couples. The bigger boat just gives them a better ride across the lake, status points with their friends, and more room to move around.

For the exact reason you mentioned above, I try to keep my crew (meaning those who want to ride) pretty small whenever possible! Extra non-riders are always welcome :rofl: 

1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

Just curious, is this the same engineer that told you they didn’t install the Bimini on the g4 tower before the boats left the plant? 😆 

Ha Ha.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:22 AM, The Hulk said:

its official! 27lsv.thumb.jpg.9d3c0a7393838cfbb5c63aa28c2e05df.jpg

25lsv-skinny.jpg

It's official alright!  You're nuts!  :)

Anything bigger than a 23 on a 500 acre lake is craziness.  Our lake in WI is 1050 acres and a 25 or 27 would be massive overkill (and probably lead to banned surfing... there's already noise about this).

We routinely, comfortably fit 6 adults (sometimes 8 adults and two kids less comfortably) in my dad's old 21 VLX and head to the sand bar or park in the middle of the lake with tunes on and float/swim.  We also routinely slalom ski it with 3+ adults in the boat and one skier, with everyone bringing gear along.  When I was 8 years old and the oldest of three kids, we'd take our 19 foot Four Winns out for full day, long trips up Lake Winnebago and into the Wolf River with tons of room.

It boggles my brain that a 25 is too small for two adults and three kids... though I've never brought a grill to the sand bar.  :)

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

4x6 ft foam mat, sometimes the 18ft long rolled up Lilly pad, 3 toddlers, ha 

Plenty of room bit u can always need more..

Hulk- do you have a pontoon? I usually only have a crew of 5 or 6, and even I feel like it would be awesome to have a bigger boat sometimes...... but I think it is because my pontoon spoils me. So much room for activities, but then I take the activities boat out, and it feels cramped!

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Hulk- do you have a pontoon? I usually only have a crew of 5 or 6, and even I feel like it would be awesome to have a bigger boat sometimes...... but I think it is because my pontoon spoils me. So much room for activities, but then I take the activities boat out, and it feels cramped!

No been on and off again, few issues, 23footer is alright but need a 25footer for capacity reasons, and still it's less than my 25lsv....been looking at a few but trying to reason another crazy expense for boat and lift and everything when we will only use one has me thinking. The reason I haven't is that I FEAR we won't surf again, it will become a planned event vs getting a run in here and there on way to or from somewhere..  a 27lsv with wider beam would fill the void, I'd rather have just one monster. 

12 Weekends less weather and probably 7-8 with good warmer water, now kids starting kindergarten summers like 10wks long just a PIA as it is.. another boat in the mix is a lot of hassle and money for what use it will get. 

I've also seen some folk who got the toon and sold the wakeboat the next year because they couldn't justify the little use.. surfing 10x a year is my therapy!!! 

Maybe pavati will come out with a 28ft! Might be $$$$$ ha

Edited by The Hulk

IDK man.....We have 3 boats, one being a toon.  Last season, I put about 50 hours on the RLXi and about the same on the toon.  I see this season being a bit different though.  Likely 30+ hours on each boat.  We use the toon to install the ski course at ice out, then it's used for sunset booze cruises and a base for taking the kids out boarding, skiing, tubing (cough), or knee boarding.  Now that we've added the 22VLX, I see the RLXi being used much less than it was last season as the kids will all want to be behind it vs the RLXi unless we're skiing.  

2 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

IDK man.....We have 3 boats, one being a toon.  Last season, I put about 50 hours on the RLXi and about the same on the toon.  I see this season being a bit different though.  Likely 30+ hours on each boat.  We use the toon to install the ski course at ice out, then it's used for sunset booze cruises and a base for taking the kids out boarding, skiing, tubing (cough), or knee boarding.  Now that we've added the 22VLX, I see the RLXi being used much less than it was last season as the kids will all want to be behind it vs the RLXi unless we're skiing.  

you need a superjet in that quiver

7 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Crazy how rough the lake is, just a few feet away from the glassy glass......

7951733A-838E-4215-8E1C-0AC317FCFBD1.png

But they're G has two people on Surfside Malibu only one.. 

The wind must have picked up and sacrificed the G face quality ha