Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New video... 25 LSV vs. G23

IXFE

8 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

They are allegedly in the process of building additional molds for those, and staffing an additional production day for a couple months...... but they can’t commit yet. As of now, the available production slots on those 2 are in to August/sept.

@The Hulk Your wheels are really turning on this MegaLSV idea!! You are right though.... it would not be a boat that was trailered very often. And most marinas have a CDL driver for moving the 30’+ boats around.

It would be an absolutely awesome boat. The only problem I see, is that if we all start getting in to 26-30’ surf boats with 8-10k of ballast, surfing will definitely get banned everywhere. 

yeah true... But 30-plus cabin cruisers plowing through the water create something similar

I just need more room it gets cramped in the 25 now that we're a family of five., ;)

6 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

You need to come out to Cali. I don’t know anyone who slips their $100k boats. Their old runabouts and TRASHED ski boats. Yes But not boats like ours. They get trailered. 

That seems about opposite of everywhere in the Midwest and down south... Aren't many of those lakes without homes though? I sure wouldn't mind the weather out there! 

34 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

That seems about opposite of everywhere in the Midwest and down south... Aren't many of those lakes without homes though? I sure wouldn't mind the weather out there! 

Most are trailered deep down south,near coast most of us can’t afford expensive boat and expensive home in water , same as California  and corps builds levees here, move away from coast they build lakes , northern AL snd GA

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Most of the lakes in California are reservoirs that are state / county owned, and do not have houses on them.  That’s one of the reasons we trailer so much here. There are a few exceptions that I can think of, Tahoe, Lake Tulloch, Bass Lake, the CA Delta, and a few others, but most lakes have no homes or docks on them. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Correct. Most of the homes are a good distance from the lakes.  And also the mass of population is a good distance from the lakes.

2 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Most of the lakes in California are reservoirs that are state / county owned, and do not have houses on them.  That’s one of the reasons we trailer so much here. There are a few exceptions that I can think of, Tahoe, Lake Tulloch, Bass Lake, the CA Delta, and a few others, but most lakes have no homes or docks on them. 

Even at the Delta a lot of the levees are federal. In the event they are privately owned,  they are just that. Farmers own them so very few houses. The levees are also not the most stable. They constantly move. Someone may correct me. But Discovery Bay is about the only large population on the water. In the entire Central Valley. 

But let’s get back to pulling that 27LSV with an F150😁

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

In Texas every lake has a marine (or three) that rents covered slips with lifts. It ain’t cheap, but you’ll see a lot of high-end wake boats in these slips. And they stay on the lift all year (most marinas require an annual lease). 

I guess it is still regional... Most I know trailer here in Houston, very few have in a slip. There is no longer any marinas on Lake Houston either. Only private docks. Canyon Lake the marinas is mainly house boats and sail boats and no private docks there. It seems every boat ramp I go to is full of either wake boats or fishing boats. 

Edited by kerpluxal
13 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

@The Hulk look at the Chappy surf boat. 29ft long. 7200 DW.  9ft beam. Couldn't find the ballast wt, but have seen it before, think its 2400, which is lame for that boat.

297 SURF SSX

Their website, could not link to the page for some reason

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boats.php

Interesting.  Our family owned a Chaparral before our first Malibu purchase...nice boats.  I thought the surf gate was patented by Malibu, no?

39 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

@The Hulk look at the Chappy surf boat. 29ft long. 7200 DW.  9ft beam. Couldn't find the ballast wt, but have seen it before, think its 2400, which is lame for that boat.

297 SURF SSX

Their website, could not link to the page for some reason

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boats.php

wish malibu would copy the folding tower concept, similar to my previous photoshop post! still tons of wasted room compared to wakeboat design IMO and overall these are BIGGER than a wakeboat would be

they are plane jane - not a lot of fancy stuff on these, but again their target is smooth old geezer cruiser crowd and familes with LESS water sports in mind and more cruising. I dont see why the 27lsf standard beam or wide beam would be an issue. i would bet the majority of wakeboats sold are to lake property owners who dont trailer, enough so that would support such a boat at least. again thats IMO since i'm wanting it and all haha. 

50 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Interesting.  Our family owned a Chaparral before our first Malibu purchase...nice boats.  I thought the surf gate was patented by Malibu, no?

If you look at the photos it is a malibu surf gate on the boat. The must have a deal with them

22 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

its official! 27lsv.thumb.jpg.9d3c0a7393838cfbb5c63aa28c2e05df.jpg

I'll have a 2019 25 lsv for sale at the end of the season now

Edited by bbattiste247

Everyone on here talking about how big a 27' boat is must be on small lakes. Where I am at, 27' is considered the small end of the medium vessel range. 30-40' boats are more common than anything else. There could be a market for these boats and the towing solution is simple... you put it in a marina with all the other "big" boats. For as much as towing is discussed on here, keep in mind that many people only use their trailers for their boats to sit on during the winter.

8 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Everyone on here talking about how big a 27' boat is must be on small lakes. Where I am at, 27' is considered the small end of the medium vessel range. 30-40' boats are more common than anything else. There could be a market for these boats and the towing solution is simple... you put it in a marina with all the other "big" boats. For as much as towing is discussed on here, keep in mind that many people only use their trailers for their boats to sit on during the winter.

You make a good point @Raimie.  I know on the pond where I live, a 27' boat would be considered relatively large.  But, I'm only on 650 acres of water......not one of the larger lakes like you're on.  I know we have a couple A24's and several 23LSV's on our lake and they are the largest boats out there.  

I don't get it. I can see a cruiser that size but I don't want any part of a 27' tow boat. You start getting that many people on a boat and your turns get farther apart. You go out for lets say 4 hours, you get two runs, two hours apart! Unless you're dragging a boat load of people around that don't ride, or maybe you don't really ride.

Maybe a pontoon with a playpen would work? I think some people are intrested in these boats because they look cool in them. I see people buying these boats that will never use them like they are designed to be used. I had a guy last Saturday at the Dallas show ask if he could order a 23 without gates and a wedge. He just wanted to cruise. I told him we could order it anyway he wanted, not sure he would ever be able to resell it though. I also had a guy ask where the trolling motor goes on a M235 too but he was in the wrong booth, I told him if he bought the boat, we could put a trolling motor on it. ;)

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't get it. I can see a cruiser that size but I don't want any part of a 27' tow boat. You start getting that many people on a boat and your turns get farther apart. You go out for lets say 4 hours, you get two runs, two hours apart! Unless you're dragging a boat load of people around that don't ride, or maybe you don't really ride.

Maybe a pontoon with a playpen would work? I think some people are intrested in these boats because they look cool in them. I see people buying these boats that will never use them like they are designed to be used. I had a guy last Saturday at the Dallas show ask if he could order a 23 without gates and a wedge. He just wanted to cruise. I told him we could order it anyway he wanted, not sure he would ever be able to resell it though. I also had a guy ask where the trolling motor goes on a M235 too but he was in the wrong booth, I told him if he bought the boat, we could put a trolling motor on it. ;)

i would maybe add a 4th child to our family...., but the 25lsv is just too small...just think how many more cracker crumbs we could fit in a 27lsv!!!!  

i think there is a large crowd like me, they surf when they get some time, the cruise a lot, and sandbar/cove a lot. a boat this size eliminates the need for a pontoon in many ways as the 25lsv has done for me for the most part...still tempted though... you would be shocked at the number of folks buying these boats who also own a NICE pontoon. at some point the hassle of 2 boats, boat lifts, etc.. and only using one at a time becomes real. the vast majority of lakers around here all are 2-boat lake homes. ! the problem is the tritoons have a bit more usable space but LESS capacity for persons. cross the bridge and who cares about spending more when you eliminate the hassles of wake-boat + tritoon, two lifts, insurance, gas, hassles, storage etc.. the only thing that has kept me from buying a tritoon is that i have a 25lsv and can fit more persons if i need to cruise to dinner with extended fam, so i keep going back to well i would use the pontoon when limited guest are with us and sandbar time only, although then you miss out on getting a quick set on the way there or home thus surfing becomes a PLANNED event and becomes more rare. ONE BEAST solves a lot of problems for those living on the lakes including money...  i'm sure a 27lsv might open up seating options and layouts for more practical arrangements. in my "scaled" photoshop above the seats are too wide and big so there would be more actual floor space than shown above in the wider 10ft version. 

we are on 400 acre lake joined by other lakes/basins of similar 300-500acre size. Its not like this 27lsv would be that big on a 300-400+ acre lake.. as mentioned still smaller than a lot of normal pontoon lengths and some new toon widths as well. 

malibu could just post a go-fund-me for the new mold, if they get enough pre-orders then its a no loss situation! might be a great business model for concepts!

Wow, I thought my 2500 acre lake was tiny.

we have a hard enough time maintaining 200 feet away from shore and other boats on this lake. I can’t imagine trying to do that on a lake 1/5 the size. 

We have a 700 acre lake nearby, but they don’t surf/wake on that lake. It’s a ski and fish only lake.

• Like 2

Most lakes in my area are anywhere from 200-1200 acres in size.  Nearly all of them have wake boats, ski boats, runabouts, and pontoons.  For us, we like having the pontoon.  If you want to go out, listen to tunes, and booze cruise with a large group, a 28' double decker party barge is hard to beat.  Nice thing about that is you don't abuse your ski and / or wake boats when you have a toon like that.  Our ski boat is used simply for skiing and we've been pulling the kids on wake boards but they've outgrown the RLXi.  I envision us having the new 22VLX out on the water at the same time as we have the toon out.  I can see us using the toon as a base on the water to which we tie up the VLX and surf / ride on the VLX thereby keeping it in great condition and leaving the crumbs and colored drinks on the pontoon.  When we travel with the boat, that's another story.......but I think it will work well being able to anchor in a cove and surf from a common spot and whenever we want a break simply tie up to the toon and chill.  

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

@Ronnie the trolling motor guy must be coming from a G23 with all the shaft problems:rofl:

A guy on the Planet Nautique website had so many problems with his G23 (including a broken shaft or two),  he frequently posted this picture of his storage compartment....

Nauitrollingmotor.jpg.66f90b335fd90499c9be1a9756fa3d20.jpg

• Like 3

This surf pontoon was at our boat show this year. Comes with a grill option, which a long with a bad a** stereo, is a must.  You can put so much ballast in it and they come in a 21, 23 and 25 ft model.  My buddy actually is on the waiting list

https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/10/08/minnesota-based-montara-boats-introduces-surf-pontoon/

41 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

Most lakes in my area are anywhere from 200-1200 acres in size.  Nearly all of them have wake boats, ski boats, runabouts, and pontoons.  For us, we like having the pontoon.  If you want to go out, listen to tunes, and booze cruise with a large group, a 28' double decker party barge is hard to beat.  Nice thing about that is you don't abuse your ski and / or wake boats when you have a toon like that.  Our ski boat is used simply for skiing and we've been pulling the kids on wake boards but they've outgrown the RLXi.  I envision us having the new 22VLX out on the water at the same time as we have the toon out.  I can see us using the toon as a base on the water to which we tie up the VLX and surf / ride on the VLX thereby keeping it in great condition and leaving the crumbs and colored drinks on the pontoon.  When we travel with the boat, that's another story.......but I think it will work well being able to anchor in a cove and surf from a common spot and whenever we want a break simply tie up to the toon and chill.  

My lake is only 370 acres.  We have several wake boats, but I see most of them using them to pull tubers.  The problem with my lake is it is shallow most of the way around.  We have a hole that is about 35' deep but does not extend the entire length.  I have to do some circles to keep surfing.  I don't think a 27' or even a 25' boat would be ideal for my lake.  The shallow part of it is the buzz kill for sure.