Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2019 - Choice of PCM 409, 450 or Mal DI Engine

pauley71

Opinion needed (I have mine) ... I have a choice of PCM 409, PCM 450 (TBD $$ more) or the new Malibu DI engine for $1500 more for my mid-March build.  I keep bouncing around the idea of a "snowflake" engine configuration when it comes to resale (I flip every year) and having the new standard motor.   I get the PCM options aren't snowflakes like the 2014 dash so I don't see them hurting resale.

For argument's sake, let's say the 450 is halfway between the other two options.  Which would you take?  Ready ... go .... 

EDIT - I get that the $1500 will help me resale it but to an 'informed' buyer the new motor will help.

Edited by pauley71

Our dealer split their 2019 build's between the 409 and 5.3DI.  I opted for the DI but sadly spent a lot more than $1,500 for the upgrade.  I would go with the new Malibu engine.  Real-world testing from our dealer yielded good results and your upgrade difference is not that substantial.  I assume you're talking 5.3 and not the 6.2.

49 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Opinion needed (I have mine) ... I have a choice of PCM 409, PCM 450 (TBD $$ more) or the new Malibu DI engine for $1500 more for my mid-March build.  I keep bouncing around the idea of a "snowflake" engine configuration when it comes to resale (I flip every year) and having the new standard motor.   I get the PCM options aren't snowflakes like the 2014 dash so I don't see them hurting resale.

For argument's sake, let's say the 450 is halfway between the other two options.  Which would you take?  Ready ... go .... 

EDIT - I get that the $1500 will help me resale it but to an 'informed' buyer the new motor will help.

My understanding is the 450 is going to be multiples of the M5 cost delta, so I would definitely not do that unless you felt you needed the extra power.

Can't help you on the PCM vs M5.

My boat is getting built in March as well. I went with the MDI engine.

Dealer said that when they demoed the new engine it was a lot quieter than the 409 or 450.  I wasn't there, but am taking his word for it.  Would love to hear opinions from those who have actually been around the new engine.

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

To clarify, are you debating the M5 or M6 to the PCM options?

Just the new DI ... I haven't been following the designations but would assume that is a 5.3 so M5? 

The PCM 450 is a good bit more so its out.  Now just down to the PCM 409 and the "new Malibu DI".  If the 'quieter' rumor is true I'm tempted.  Probably leaning Malibu DI.

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Just the new DI ... I haven't been following the designations but would assume that is a 5.3 so M5? 

The PCM 450 is a good bit more so its out.  Now just down to the PCM 409 and the "new Malibu DI".  If the 'quieter' rumor is true I'm tempted.  Probably leaning Malibu DI.

Yeah the 5.3 is the M5 and the 6.2 is the M6. If the M6 is only 1500 more, it’s a no brained to me but I suspect that the M5 is the 1500 more option over the PCM 409. I think I’d still go with the M5 over the PCM for your flipping note in the first post. Although I think most people will just see the GM 6.0 and go with that. The 1-2%’s like us will only know the difference of the PCM and Malibu engines. Some could even argue the Malibu engine is more risky as it’s a first year (for Malibu) engine and the PCM is proven. 

• Like 3

If you're truly focused on flipping and minimizing loss, I'd go with the standard motor. I doubt you will see the return on that upgrade and like @ahopkinsVTX states, I think there's a strong argument with either decision. 

• Like 2

I went with the PCM 409 on mine since it was less expensive, already a lot quieter than the 410 and it's a solid engine. We demoed it 5 times on 4 different boats, including twice on the 23 LSV. It has a long Axis track record, so I'm not concerned about it being a one year engine.

The M5 (5.3) was an extra $1500 MSRP, and the M6 was $8000 or $8500, IIRC. I don't think the average buyer will pay extra for the new engine at resale, and I'd rather spend the upgrade $ on wheels.

While I'm not a BU engine doubter, I could also see just as many potential buyers being hesitant to take on the new engine the first model year. If the quieter than PCM 409 rumor is true, and the torque is there too, I may look back and regret my decision.

• Like 2
On 1/31/2019 at 3:36 PM, NWBU said:

I went with the PCM 409 on mine since it was less expensive, already a lot quieter than the 410 and it's a solid engine. We demoed it 5 times on 4 different boats, including twice on the 23 LSV. It has a long Axis track record, so I'm not concerned about it being a one year engine.

The M5 (5.3) was an extra $1500 MSRP, and the M6 was $8000 or $8500, IIRC. I don't think the average buyer will pay extra for the new engine at resale, and I'd rather spend the upgrade $ on wheels.

While I'm not a BU engine doubter, I could also see just as many potential buyers being hesitant to take on the new engine the first model year. If the quieter than PCM 409 rumor is true, and the torque is there too, I may look back and regret my decision.

No you won't. I don't have experience with the M5, but the PCM 409 has more power than the PCM H5. Yes the H5 might be slightly quieter but the 409 has more power than the H5 driven back to back in the same boa, same prop. I don't know how to explain it but I'm guessing the 5.3 is overrated. 

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, skurfer said:

No you won't. I don't have experience with the M5, but the PCM 409 has more power than the PCM H5. Yes the H5 might be slightly quieter but the 409 has more power than the H5 driven back to back in the same boat. I don't know how to explain it but I'm guessing the 5.3 is overrated. 

100% agree. I’m not a believer than just because the M5 5.3L has direct injection that it’s somehow more powerful than the PCM 6.0L

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, NWBU said:

Based on the 58 hours I put on mine last year, you won’t regret it at all.