Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carver Side Skirts

Blenderhead

Got my Carver side skirts delivered today.  Paid about $200 for them.   I am sure that this could've been accomplished with a DIY job, but I think they are worth it.

Being that the Evolution covers w/ side skirt are about a year out for new orders and that I will probably be upgrading my boat next year, spending $200 on the Carver skirts was an easy choice.

pros - Good quality, easy to install, keeps your gelcoat out of the sun while on the trailer parked

cons - you have to purchase pipe insulation (look like pool noodles) to slide into the tops of the skirts so it retains under the cover above the rub rail.

pros2 - a 6' pipe insulation piece is about a $1.25 so no big deal

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

not exactly sure what you are asking, however....  The side skirts right now are held up by the OEM boat cover... if you loosen the ratchet on the cover, the sides would definitely fall off.  So without the strap tension of the main cover it would be difficult if not impossible to install from inside the boat (if that makes sense).     What I plan to do is to take the entire thing to a canvas shop and have Velcro sewn to the outside of the OEM cover with snap clips about every 12 inches.   This mod would greatly simplify putting the sides skirts on and taking them off.

12 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I got to the same page.  can't order from them you get redirected to a plethora of online people.  Also, no pics of stern...unless that's just not showing up on my comp?

Sorry about that.  I didn't try to go any further on their website to try and order.

I actually ordered from boatcoversdirect.com.   quick shipping.  Here is a picture I found in black @85 Barefoot  **Edit**.  I just noticed you said BACK not BLACK lol.   the side skirts end at the sides of the boat in the back.  It does not go around the transom.  I actually have a swim platform cover that I use to protect the back.

Boat_Skirt-1-500x214.jpg

Edited by Blenderhead
Just now, Blenderhead said:

That stern cover is hideous lol

That it is.  

I had Cory at Evolution make one for mine,  I tuck it between the hull and the swim platform.    I also have a platform cover.  When I had him make a cover for me he was no longer make side skirts but was working on a plan to have a new design.  Not sure if he ever got the details all worked out or not.  

29 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

That it is.  

I had Cory at Evolution make one for mine,  I tuck it between the hull and the swim platform.    I also have a platform cover.  When I had him make a cover for me he was no longer make side skirts but was working on a plan to have a new design.  Not sure if he ever got the details all worked out or not.  

Not sure when you talked to Cory, but he figured it out.  My skirts are in 4 pieces, each side split at the tower so that I only have to disconnect one buckle on the skirts on each side to take the cover off.  My skirts almost never come off.

pimieFW.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Not sure when you talked to Cory, but he figured it out.  My skirts are in 4 pieces, each side split at the tower so that I only have to disconnect one buckle on the skirts on each side to take the cover off.  My skirts almost never come off.

Last year, received my cover June 2018.  He told me he wanted to get away from buckles or zippers and  attaching the side skirts on the side of the cover because of the additional weight it added.  At the time website had photos but he was not offering or making side skirts.  

Edited by blk93jeepzj
add info
57 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Hmm, this might be good for me. How much of a pain is it to get them to stay under the cover while covering the boat?

not hard at all.   place main cover on first.  tighten up ratchet to about 80%.  systematically work front to back or back to front pushing up lip of side skirt under main cover so it sits above rub rail.  then tighten main cover ratchet.

The pipe insulation that you push into the existing sewn in loops on the side skirts keeps them from falling off the rub rail.

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

What holds the side skirts down to keep the wind from blowing them around?  Are they weighted or attached to the trailer or run under the boat?

we had some decent wind here in the past couple days here in NC and they just blow up tight to the hull of the boat.  I'm sure if they were in some decent wind they may blow up and flap about...but the material is somewhat dense so they hang pretty nice.  If you are asking in regard to having them on while trailering, I don't think they are made for that.

Edited by Blenderhead

Definitely would not trailer with them, just more curious about them flapping up against the boat and scratching the hull in the wind. Especially after they acquire a little dirt/dust/pollen while being used.  I know my yard gets a little dusty when mowing too if we haven't had rain in a while.

10 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Definitely would not trailer with them, just more curious about them flapping up against the boat and scratching the hull in the wind. Especially after they acquire a little dirt/dust/pollen while being used.  I know my yard gets a little dusty when mowing too if we haven't had rain in a while.

I am very meticulous about scratches and scrapes etc. so I totally understand your concern about potential flapping causing scratching....    All I can say is that from my observation with watching them in light wind is that I don't have any concerns with scratching in its current state.  However,  I think it could be easily modded with eyelets where you could bungie  the length of the flap bottom to the trailer.   

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 2:25 PM, Blenderhead said:

Got my Carver side skirts delivered today.  Paid about $200 for them.   I am sure that this could've been accomplished with a DIY job, but I think they are worth it.

Being that the Evolution covers w/ side skirt are about a year out for new orders and that I will probably be upgrading my boat next year, spending $200 on the Carver skirts was an easy choice.

pros - Good quality, easy to install, keeps your gelcoat out of the sun while on the trailer parked

cons - you have to purchase pipe insulation (look like pool noodles) to slide into the tops of the skirts so it retains under the cover above the rub rail.

pros2 - a 6' pipe insulation piece is about a $1.25 so no big deal

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

Hey I've been reading through all these. Curious your boat size? And did you match cover to your boat size? I have 21 VLX and thought about getting the 23 and cut the back at transom to wrap over platform? But maybe that is wishful thinking?  I have had local ulpholstery quoting me $800-1000 just to provide material, cut and sew on and they would have to be tucked during transport. I like the idea of Velcro and 4 pieces. Who is this Cory at evolution? Someone in NC? I'm in New Smyrna Beach, FL

Edited by girlsjump2
Correct text
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is my cover from coverworld. Once i change my racks it will drop down another foot. This is over top my malibu factory cover.

20200528_133849.jpg

20200528_133829.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 5:12 PM, girlsjump2 said:

Hey I've been reading through all these. Curious your boat size? And did you match cover to your boat size? I have 21 VLX and thought about getting the 23 and cut the back at transom to wrap over platform? But maybe that is wishful thinking?  I have had local ulpholstery quoting me $800-1000 just to provide material, cut and sew on and they would have to be tucked during transport. I like the idea of Velcro and 4 pieces. Who is this Cory at evolution? Someone in NC? I'm in New Smyrna Beach, FL

@girlsjump2 @Blenderhead I'll be picking up a new 21 VLX in the next week or so and definitely plan to buy the skirts since the factory cover only goes to the rub rail. What length did you all order (guessing 21'), and if you attempted the 23' length to wrap around to the swim platform, did that work out? The standalone stern cover is not the best looking, so hoping that is an option. Thank you!