Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Slipping Boat - What Should I Know?

Hi guys, there's a good possibility that instead of keeping my boat on a lift this summer, I need to keep it wet-slipped instead.  What things should I be aware of?  In the lake I keep it, I know it will get a pretty solid scum line, but other than cleaning that is there anything else I should do or be careful of?

Thanks!

It’s all I have ever done and never had a blistering problem or even scum line for that matter. On the other hand we have some of the cleanest water in North America. Now to prevent this I would recommend a good sealant or costing to protect the gelcoat and whenever at the boat take a brush and give it a good scrub. 

I would highly recommend pulling the boat out often to prevent blisters if you’re in warmer dirty water.

I put mine in on May 1, and take it out about September 20.  Never had a blister.  A little scum but have a brush, mask and fins and when you anchor in a shallow spot, hop in and give it a scrub.  It will be fine.

19 hours ago, Justasurfer said:

I put mine in on May 1, and take it out about September 20.  Never had a blister.  A little scum but have a brush, mask and fins and when you anchor in a shallow spot, hop in and give it a scrub.  It will be fine.

My 12 had blisters where the bunks contacted the jell and stayed wet all week while sitting on trailer in garage during week.  Till it got dunked again in a week and bunks never dry out all summer with boat sitting on it during the week.

13 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My 12 had blisters where the bunks contacted the jell and stayed wet all week while sitting on trailer in garage during week.  Till it got dunked again in a week and bunks never dry out all summer with boat sitting on it during the week.

Interesting...I feel like this could be an issue for anyone though right?  I mean, the boat is going to be sitting on some kind of bunks that are more than likely going to be wet...whether a lift or a trailer.

Years ago my parents kept their Bayliner on Jackson Lake outside of Atlanta in a wet slip.  After scrubbing the scum after one season they said they'd never do it again.  Convenient, but a ton of work if you don't pull it and clean it regularly.

I have 3 different Malibus that I kept in a mooring slip in the nasty Willamette River.  I just had to pull the boat out about every 4-6 weeks to clean the scum off of the hull.  Very easy once I learned about Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic on this site (do a search).  My 06 VLX developed a small area of blistering in the gelcoat, but the other 2 never had a problem.  The blistering was easily repaired.  The convenience factor was great, especially when the kids were old enough to use the boat without me.  I didn't want them trailering the boat, so having the boat in the water and ready to go was helpful.

I kept ours in the water for about 4 years. Never an issue with blisters. Arguably, blisters are a sign of an improper lay-up, not so much the type of water you're in. I would be more concerned about corrosion than slime build up. A little mix of HCl based toilet bowl cleaner will take care of that in minutes. These boats have no passive corrosion prevention like other boats. Other boats have zinc and magnesium tabs on the submersed metal (usually aluminum) to reduce corrosion. Most of the parts in the water on the bu's are SS so it isn't as big a deal but I know my platform struts and brackets were Al and I noticed a small amount of pitting. I bought some Mg anodes and attached them to everything under the water and that solved the problem.

6 minutes ago, Falko said:

I kept ours in the water for about 4 years. Never an issue with blisters. Arguably, blisters are a sign of an improper lay-up, not so much the type of water you're in. I would be more concerned about corrosion than slime build up. A little mix of HCl based toilet bowl cleaner will take care of that in minutes. These boats have no passive corrosion prevention like other boats. Other boats have zinc and magnesium tabs on the submersed metal (usually aluminum) to reduce corrosion. Most of the parts in the water on the bu's are SS so it isn't as big a deal but I know my platform struts and brackets were Al and I noticed a small amount of pitting. I bought some Mg anodes and attached them to everything under the water and that solved the problem.

I am going to say that the corrosion prevention or anodes may be based on MY's. My '10 has 2 anodes inserted in to the VD where the raw water comes into and exits the VD. You can see the 2 brass heads in this shot. @ 1 3/4" long anodes.4A582DBC-9F6F-4861-9ACA-5FD7B93A5260.thumb.jpeg.8b0879b8847b5e33abdcf31bd1a4c536.jpeg

5 hours ago, wdr said:

I am going to say that the corrosion prevention or anodes may be based on MY's. My '10 has 2 anodes inserted in to the VD where the raw water comes into and exits the VD. You can see the 2 brass heads in this shot. @ 1 3/4" long anodes.4A582DBC-9F6F-4861-9ACA-5FD7B93A5260.thumb.jpeg.8b0879b8847b5e33abdcf31bd1a4c536.jpeg

Was wondering about this as well, glad you guys brought it up.  So anybody know off the top of their head if a 2018 T22 has sacrificial anodes?

Also @Falko - do you happen to have any pictures of how you attached those?

10 hours ago, Falko said:

I do not have any pictures. I bought anodes that had through holes and just bolted them with extended bolts where I could.

That helps, thanks. 

And an egg anode on your prop shaft should be fairly cheap to install.  I put mine just in front of the strut.  I'm in salt water, so even a day on the water can get plenty of galvanic corrosion going.