Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV Wake

Justasurfer

New member, have a Mastercraft NXT 22 but have been surfing behind a 2017 23 LSV.  I like the Malibu wake and the ability to adjust it on the fly.  How does the 2017 compare with the 2018, any difference?  Thinking about trading the NXT, which is nice anyway, extra ballast etc. and a good wake, but probably not as good as the 23 LSV.  I'd like to find a 2018 with 50-80 hours on it.  Am I thinking correctly?

I’m in the 1000 Islands in upstate NY.  Water is pretty hard up there right now.  I bought a boat out of Utah 5 years ago and had it shipped so location doesn’t matter much.  Is there any difference in the 2017 vs the 2018 wake on the 23 LSV?  I assume they are similar but I know they did change the hull on the 18, right?

The wake will be slightly better on a 2018 vs 2017 and the main hull change was the added freeboard. You'll notice more of a difference on the regular side and they tried to improve that the most and make reg/goofy waves more identical. However, any 23lsv will be a huge upgrade from your NXT. I wouldn't pass up a 2017 for a good deal but if you can find a 2018 and afford it, then go for it.

• Like 2

We surf a '18 22NXT almost weekly when not on mine.  Both my family and the owner of the 22 NXT think the VLX has a leg up in the surf wave.  

3 hours ago, Justasurfer said:

They all have so many models now, and I'm new to Malibu, so what's the difference between a VLX and an LSV?

To further complicate things, there is now a 21 vlx, 22 lsv (formerly 22 vlx), and 23 lsv. 22 vlx/lsv will be better than the 21 vlx. 23 lsv is the sweet spot and size and performance for a lot of people which is why it’s the number one selling inboard. While I would like the new 25 lsv, my 18 23lsv does everything so well, I can’t justify the cost. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:18 PM, Justasurfer said:

New member, have a Mastercraft NXT 22 but have been surfing behind a 2017 23 LSV.  I like the Malibu wake and the ability to adjust it on the fly.  How does the 2017 compare with the 2018, any difference?  Thinking about trading the NXT, which is nice anyway, extra ballast etc. and a good wake, but probably not as good as the 23 LSV.  I'd like to find a 2018 with 50-80 hours on it.  Am I thinking correctly?

The 2018 is a new boat, although the 2017 23 is a good boat. Good luck, I have linked some surf wake comparisons. 

https://vimeo.com/channels/wavecomparison/page:1

Look at the 22LSV Wake, the 23 is  bit better. The A22 is compared to  the NXT22 as well. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew
  • Like 2

@ConnollyCrew beat me to it. I was just going to post those for him to see.

@Justasurfer would love to hear your honest opinion/feedback on the NXT22 wave in the video and in general. Especially since you've surfed a 2017 23LSV and personally own a MC I'm very interested to hear your opinion on a few of these videos.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:44 AM, Suggy said:

The wake will be slightly better on a 2018 vs 2017 and the main hull change was the added freeboard. You'll notice more of a difference on the regular side and they tried to improve that the most and make reg/goofy waves more identical. However, any 23lsv will be a huge upgrade from your NXT. I wouldn't pass up a 2017 for a good deal but if you can find a 2018 and afford it, then go for it.

I owned a 2017 23 LSV and traded it in with 216 hours.  After about 170 hours, we decided the best set up for a really good wave was to have the PNPs in the rear full and a 600 lbs bag in the walkway just under the walk through window. On a 2018, I understand that the weight up front is not necessary, but the comfort level of the cabin in my opinion is a little better in the 17. I really like the rounded back rests at the rear of the cabin and near the glove box. The 2018 is a just a little too boxy for me. 

On 2/1/2019 at 1:43 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

The 2018 is a new boat, although the 2017 23 is a good boat. Good luck, I have linked some surf wake comparisons. 

https://vimeo.com/channels/wavecomparison/page:1

Look at the 22LSV Wake, the 23 is  bit better. The A22 is compared to  the NXT22 as well. 

The video is a XT 22 not a NXT 22.  MC equivalent to the Axis is the NXT line.  The XT in video is more their crossover boat.  The hauls, ballast and overall weight of the NXT 22 and XT 22 are different.