Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blenderhead

FAE Mandrel Bent Exhaust?

Recommended Posts

Blenderhead

Is anyone else getting crickets from FAE regarding their mandrel bent exhaust orders?   Last year I ordered an FAE and was provided an option to forego my regular order and wait for the new mandrel bent version.   Larry mentioned that it was in the final stages of development and would more than likely be a winter project.  Got it, its still winter, but I am getting zero response regarding updates and projected ship dates. 

maybe someone on here has the inside track regarding ship dates.  Thanks Crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
4 hours ago, Blenderhead said:

Is anyone else getting crickets from FAE regarding their mandrel bent exhaust orders?   Last year I ordered an FAE and was provided an option to forego my regular order and wait for the new mandrel bent version.   Larry mentioned that it was in the final stages of development and would more than likely be a winter project.  Got it, its still winter, but I am getting zero response regarding updates and projected ship dates. 

maybe someone on here has the inside track regarding ship dates.  Thanks Crew.

Subscribing. Was there any price difference?

I've gone though the "checklist" or order one and there's no option for mandrel. :dontknow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcarl

I have one on order also, here's the response I got from Christina December 5;

"We are currently conducting water testing on this re-design (Mandrel) and hope to have more information on shipping/availability in the next several weeks. Unfortunately, at this time, I don’t have a firm ship date from the shop just yet."

I'm not in too much of a hurry as cold as it is here today it might take until mid June before we're boating.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
7 minutes ago, dcarl said:

I have one on order also, here's the response I got from Christina December 5;

"We are currently conducting water testing on this re-design (Mandrel) and hope to have more information on shipping/availability in the next several weeks. Unfortunately, at this time, I don’t have a firm ship date from the shop just yet."

I'm not in too much of a hurry as cold as it is here today it might take until mid June before we're boating.

 

What is the price difference? If you don't mind me asking. 
Agreed, several weeks is still February. No big deal for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcarl
4 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

What is the price difference? If you don't mind me asking. 
Agreed, several weeks is still February. No big deal for me. 

Not sure, I ordered it back in October and she said if I was willing to wait they'd give it to me for the same price. I can't image it will be that much more.

I also said that there has been a lot of posts on this site about the edges being very sharp, so I hoping they've addressed that on their new model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
27 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Not sure, I ordered it back in October and she said if I was willing to wait they'd give it to me for the same price. I can't image it will be that much more.

I also said that there has been a lot of posts on this site about the edges being very sharp, so I hoping they've addressed that on their new model. 

I gotchya. I mean everything they did before used straight pieces, which are cheaper, but they had to pay someone or something to weld them. 
That being said, a mandrel bender is not cheap and you have to have someone(s) running said bender. 
So who knows. 

I'm also looking to get one for this summer, so will be watching closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcarl

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blenderhead

I am also not sure of the price difference for orders now,  but got the same deal where I would be able to get it for the same price.  My order was finalized in July of last year, then was offered the mandrel option at the end of August.  Last word I got was the same time that @dcarl got his update.   All it would take is a small update from FAE to keep the mob at bay....   its already (almost) Feb and ZERO UPDATES.   Kinda like eating at a restaurant and your food being delayed....  slide me a beer and I'm good for another 30 mins.   CAN I GET A BEER FAE?!?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hemmy

How did you guys hear about the mandrel bent exhaust from FAE?  I looked at their website and did not see anything about this.  I am looking to get a surf pipe also but had not seen anything about a new one being offered by FAE.  I have seen their current exhaust systems.  I was also looking at getting the Malibu one from my dealer, but this would probably cost less from FAE.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcarl

I just went through the order process.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
54 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

How did you guys hear about the mandrel bent exhaust from FAE?  I looked at their website and did not see anything about this.  I am looking to get a surf pipe also but had not seen anything about a new one being offered by FAE.  I have seen their current exhaust systems.  I was also looking at getting the Malibu one from my dealer, but this would probably cost less from FAE.

Thanks

My bet is, the delays are so large, considering @Blenderhead ordered his in JULY and still hasn't gotten it, they pulled it off the site until they have it sorted out. 

Working for tier one auto supplier, man can it be a major PITA to bring a new product to market, even if it's a redesign of an existing product. It's amazing to me that they can revamp a car every 5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776

I just talked with Christina there, first, they don't offer mandrel for my boat, 2010LSV. She said the bends are too aggressive....maybe for the tool they have. But you can get 180° mandrel tubes all day. 
But she said they're only offering the mandrel on the '16 and up single exhaust. I wasn't given any time frame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger

Another option....buy mandrels online, cut and mark them, then pay someone to tig weld.  Best upgrade I've ever done.   

 

I'm a huge fan of FAE and will recommend Larry all day long, but I know how hard it is to make mandrels fit universally, and also knew Malibu was never gonna offer something for an old boat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
14 minutes ago, rugger said:

Another option....buy mandrels online, cut and mark them, then pay someone to tig weld.  Best upgrade I've ever done.   

 

I'm a huge fan of FAE and will recommend Larry all day long, but I know how hard it is to make mandrels fit universally, and also knew Malibu was never gonna offer something for an old boat.  

Man, I've read that thread many times. RIDICULOUSLY NICE! 


I made one for my 86 Surpa. Worked great, came out nice (not production nice) Certainly not your "nice!" But I had a stick of 2.5" tubing, had to buy flares, 90°s couplings and clamps and was in it for about 250 bucks. When you consider I'd have to buy tubing, for another 100-150 bucks or so, I'd rather buy one that comes in a box with all the parts and will look a LOT nicer than I can make. Not to mention all the measurements, cross bracing, hardware etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
18 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

I just talked with Christina there, first, they don't offer mandrel for my boat, 2010LSV. She said the bends are too aggressive....maybe for the tool they have. But you can get 180° mandrel tubes all day. 
But she said they're only offering the mandrel on the '16 and up single exhaust. I wasn't given any time frame. 

The too aggressive thing sounds odd.  You would think that it would be a 90 out of the boat on each side, a less than 90 going into a common collector for the down tube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The too aggressive thing sounds odd.  You would think that it would be a 90 out of the boat on each side, a less than 90 going into a common collector for the down tube.

I can't argue there. But I think it might be more than 90° to make the turn from transom straight tubes to the crossover, at least on the photos for "my" year boat with power wedge. 
There looks to be higher than 90° to make the turn around the wedge. :unsure:

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/your-boat/malibu/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger

@oldjeep  good point.   She might be referring to the aggressive CLR on mandrel bends?  Not sure.  But the tighter you make the radius the more the metal stretches on the backside.   A 2.5" pipe bent on a center radius at 2.5" is insane if you think about it.  The backside metal gets stretched to paper thin quickly.   Whereas a 2.5" diameter with 4" CLR is better quality, etc.   I would think a hybrid pie-cut/pre-bent mandrels would be a good way to do it universally.

@Ryan1776  thanks and trust me... my point was if I could have bought from FAE I would have. But if nobody (FAE or Malibu) offers what you want... you can make it.  Even after seeing the PW3 now I'm glad I made mine.   I actually tried to work with Larry (I like to promote small businesses who advocate our sport).... but it wasn't really feasible because it took soooo many measurements and trials.   Plus I think I confused him with my design.   I did buy a stock FAE for my previous boat and it was a good experience.   Good company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
30 minutes ago, rugger said:

@oldjeep  good point.   She might be referring to the aggressive CLR on mandrel bends?  Not sure.  But the tighter you make the radius the more the metal stretches on the backside.   A 2.5" pipe bent on a center radius at 2.5" is insane if you think about it.  The backside metal gets stretched to paper thin quickly.   Whereas a 2.5" diameter with 4" CLR is better quality, etc.   I would think a hybrid pie-cut/pre-bent mandrels would be a good way to do it universally.

@Ryan1776  thanks and trust me... my point was if I could have bought from FAE I would have. But if nobody (FAE or Malibu) offers what you want... you can make it.  Even after seeing the PW3 now I'm glad I made mine.   I actually tried to work with Larry (I like to promote small businesses who advocate our sport).... but it wasn't really feasible because it took soooo many measurements and trials.   Plus I think I confused him with my design.   I did buy a stock FAE for my previous boat and it was a good experience.   Good company.

That is true enough,  my 1.75 tube bender dies were on a 6" CLR - those were for much heavier tube then you would use for exhaust work.    Since you can get prebents there must be a machine that does it, but maybe it is not cost effective enough for a low volume business to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

but maybe it is not cost effective enough for a low volume business to use.

I think that's the cusp of it right there. I mean they use all straight pipes and cut angles to get the turns down. 
If it were cost effective to buy "bulk" 90+° bends, they would. And how many pre-bends could you buy to pay for a mandrel machine! 

Edited by Ryan1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onewake09

Ive been contemplating making one myself. There are a million places online to buy mandrel bent stainless. Id like to leave the boat stock and just add it too whats already out the back of the transome. I thought about some sort of adapter and a vband clamp. I have a fab and machine shop so its a fairly simple job for me. I'll keep everyone post on what I come up with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...