Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phender Pros

ndemos717

A must for the wife on our boats. She sets the boat up for the dock as I approach. She loves the ease of just popping in the Phender Pro instead of hanging and adjusting fenders on the cleats.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ndemos717 said:

Looking to see if anyone has the phender pros installed? The regular cleat locations seem fine to me but I could be wrong. 

One of the best options you can order.  Wife and kids love them, and makes docking way easier on them. Don’t think twice about this one, just get them, you won’t regret.  

1 hour ago, wdr said:

I ordered the PPs also. @Ronnie, what type of fender are you using with them?  Been looking hard at the BABZ balls for the standoff as well. Thanks Bill

I use standard fenders for docking and BABz balls for tieing up to other boats.  The babz balls are too big to keep blown up, so the standard fenders work great for 90% of tying up and the babz balls come out when I need a little extra protection and I have time to blow them up. 

1 minute ago, Cole2001 said:

I don’t have them but the part that makes me not want them is how you can’t easily adjust the height like you would on a cleat. 

@wdr I would highly recommend BABz, great product. 

I bought a slightly larger fender, so I never need to adjust them.  They basically hang low enough to handle the shorter socks and are tall enough for higher docs.  I have my BABz balls if I ever need anything larger.  They work perfect for my set up on my 23lsv.  

9 hours ago, SCMike said:

I use standard fenders for docking and BABz balls for tieing up to other boats.  The babz balls are too big to keep blown up, so the standard fenders work great for 90% of tying up and the babz balls come out when I need a little extra protection and I have time to blow them up. 

Same here except I use the Exile balls, Babz weren't around when I picked up the Exile balls 4-5 years ago. I do keep a little extra line tying the fenders to the Phender Pros so if needed the fenders can be lowered a little.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Same here except I use the Exile balls, Babz weren't around when I picked up the Exile balls 4-5 years ago. I do keep a little extra line tying the fenders to the Phender Pros so if needed the fenders can be lowered a little.

I am using the flat fenders now in large and medium sizes with flat nylon strap and fastex clips which works really well for those odd attachment points. With the PP it seems like they might be kind of awkward and hang too low to attach them through flat fender eye. Guess I will have to experiment come March.

Edited by wdr

I use the 8.5" fenders and they are long enough to not need the up and down adjustment 95% of the time and big enough diameter for most situations. I too have passed on the big balls for storage reasons only. I usually leave my fenders laying in the walkway where they are easy to walk on and don't roll around as they are tight in the width space of walkway. Always easy to get to and don't have toimage.thumb.png.42188d03921108d2255253cfdf3e4086.png dig them out of storage every time.

Can someone post a couple of photos showing where they are installed (gunwales it seems?)?

Also has anyone retrofitted these if so, were you able to get underneath to install them or did you just use their retrofit kit?

They have a new LTX model (which the hole is covered up on)  but you need under the mount access vs their old model (which has an open hole) you can purchase a retrofit kit for...

They also have both 3/8” and 1/2” but the sales rep said Malibu’s seem to use all 1/2”....

On 1/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, dalt1 said:

I use the 8.5" fenders and they are long enough to not need the up and down adjustment 95% of the time and big enough diameter for most situations. I too have passed on the big balls for storage reasons only. I usually leave my fenders laying in the walkway where they are easy to walk on and don't roll around as they are tight in the width space of walkway. Always easy to get to and don't have toimage.thumb.png.42188d03921108d2255253cfdf3e4086.png dig them out of storage every time.

3 hours ago, eubanks said:

And what fenders are you guys using with your PP's?

These 8.5" dia.

3 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Thank you! Any closer to the bow (in front of the windshield)?

No, but I haven’t felt I need them any closer to the front.  The placement seems perfect for most tie ups.  I have some BABz balls that I’ll blow up if I need more protection while howuseboating or tie ups. 

• 3 years later...
GeorgiaYankee

Anyone have an issue where fiberglass is so thick that the phender pro receiver doesn’t engage with the brass nut?  I can’t reach the underside to install the nut first.

That's probably unlikely as long as you shoot for the factory locations.  I would caution not to get to close to shape changes in the hull and keep them in a flat section.  One of my factory installed phender pros was loose because the nut couldn't seat properly due to the fiberglass being uneven thickness near the top of the gunwale.  It was accessible from under the driver's side dash, so I removed the big stainless hex nut and installed one of the brass T-nuts because I could get it to land evenly on the fiberglass.

17 hours ago, GeorgiaYankee said:

Anyone have an issue where fiberglass is so thick that the phender pro receiver doesn’t engage with the brass nut?  I can’t reach the underside to install the nut first.

Are you using the installation tool?

https://www.bigskyprecision.com/products/phender-pro-install-tool-bspa-1187

Phender-Pro_38-install-tool_1.jpg?v=1623

• 1 year later...

Want to add a set but the surface is not perfectly flat. Anyone have them on a very slight contoured surface?  Afraid it may be a case for cracking gelcoat as it can't seat perfectly flat.

formulaben

Yep, I hated doing it, but the aft receivers are on a flat portion of the gunnel and my forward receivers are on the curved part of the hull above the rub rail.  It's not ideal, but after you use it a few times you won't even think twice about it.  I helped another Malibu owner do that same.  No complaints.  I would guess the ideal solution would be a somewhat thick rubber washer or a hard one that is curved for a perfect fit. 

If you're really worried about it, maybe take a piece of 1/8" HDPE, cut it with a hole saw and lay sandpaper on the curved area face up and work the piece over it for a while to match the curve?