Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying 2014 T22, any issues?

Swade

Hey guys,

looking at at upgrading my 07 VLX to 14 T22. Mostly to get surf gate. Any issues with axis 14 that I need to be concerned with. Sounds like I need to consider a surf pipe?

ahopkins22LSV

Two of my my friends bought T22’s when they first came out in 2014 and both just bought their second T22 in 2018. @Raimie is one of them so she can chime in too. To the best of my knowledge neither had any major issues and both used them a lot to surf. The boat surfs very well.

Surf pipe is a good upgrade to any boat. Makes surfing a lot more enjoyable.

With any used purchase though there are things to cosinder. Here is a quick guide. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

I had no major issues with my '14, only a few minor things handled by warranty/dealer. Impressive surf wave with the right ballast and overall a very solid boat. I also really liked the toggle switches and ease of operation. One issue I had that you will want to at least look at was the rudder box freezing up. This was a common problem on Axis that year. My dealer swapped the rudder box for a Malibu version that was serviceable. (zerks) It's not a show stopper if the boat you want to buy has the issue (very high steering effort) but if it's an issue, maybe negotiate the price a bit so you can get that taken care of.

I installed FAE on my '14 and went with the surf pipe from the factory on my '18. I can't see ever owning a boat without that option.

Thanks guys, great advice. @Raimie any issues with the short windshield letting water splash in the drivers face. The auto set wedge, does it just float or does it actually lock into a position. The boat has another 1800lb of PNP ballast, what did you find was the best setup for surfing, additional bags req on the bow seat? 

I live in in Alberta and all the lakes are frozen so test drive is out of the question till likely May. What’s a reasonable deposit to put down so they take the ad down? What other security should I ask for after giving deposit, the keys? Haha

I had a 2014 T22, loved it!

One issue I had was where they put the ballast vent and drain line  thru hulls on the back of the boat. It seems like for half of the season the built them with the holes leading out the rear of the locker. Well, when the nose goes up under power I'd lose some water in the bags because the front of the bag would be higher then the ballast leads exiting the rear. During the season they started producing them with the thru hulls in the front of the lockers. I would check for that. I eventually rerouted the vent and drain ballast lines up to the front of the lockers and then back down to the rear exiting thru hulls. Hard to surf when you lose so much ballast.

I finally settled on the 2419 prop. It needs a strong prop.

Good luck.

Edited by teamerickson
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Swade said:

Thanks guys, great advice. @Raimie any issues with the short windshield letting water splash in the drivers face. The auto set wedge, does it just float or does it actually lock into a position. The boat has another 1800lb of PNP ballast, what did you find was the best setup for surfing, additional bags req on the bow seat? 

I live in in Alberta and all the lakes are frozen so test drive is out of the question till likely May. What’s a reasonable deposit to put down so they take the ad down? What other security should I ask for after giving deposit, the keys? Haha

The windshield does let some water splash in, but more on drivers arm/shoulder than face. It depends on the wind. It's pretty minor. auto wedge does not lock, just pinch 2 slide pins and let it drop into position.

I used 750's in the rear lockers, 650 bow bag (under the seats). Everything full. Then I would add some weight depending on crew. If crew was light I would slightly list (400lbs under the seat) to the port side for port surfing, starboard didn't need that extra. I also found 200 lbs of lead in the bow or walkway in addition to the underseat bag was helpful. Generally was about 10.6mph but I ran in a river against the current, so your speed might be a little different.

5 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I had a 2014 T22, loved it!

One issue I had was where they put the ballast vent and drain line  thru hulls on the back of the boat. It seems like for half of the season the built them with the holes leading out the rear of the locker. Well, when the nose goes up under power I'd lose some water in the bags because the front of the bag would be higher then the ballast leads exiting the rear. During the season they started producing them with the thru hulls in the front of the lockers. I would check for that. I eventually rerouted the vent and drain ballast lines up to the front of the lockers and then back down to the rear exiting thru hulls. Hard to surf when you lose so much ballast.

I finally settled on the 2419 prop. It needs a strong prop.

Good luck.

GREAT point on the ballast draining. I had an issue with this as well that I forgot about. My dealer moved my vents forward by adding another hole at the front of the locker. Some '14's had the ports moved, depends on when it was built. Post a pic of the side of the boat if you can and we can tell you if you will have the issue or not.

At that price They are  definetly trying to recoup the extended warranty cost that they will charge you more money to transfer , I don’t think those are HCLD tower speakers. , 14’s are indestructible and I haven’t had a warranty type issue since initial warranty , except venting the mushroom sack(A series you won’t have that problem) properly through the pnp vent, I think you’ll love the boat , just get them to come way  off that price and include the warranty transfer and inspection fees,  don’t be afraid to walk away after  discount offer accompanied by a very large down payment check.  Offer $53 (sorry didn’t realize canadian, boat is priced very well ) maybe s lot less, be willing to walk away , it’s winter and it’s a used boat! If you don’t walk and ask for your check back they won’t bend as much .  They’ll call you as your driving home if not stop you at front door 

get them to include quick release tower knobs in the deal as well as s penalty for making you walk in the first place as a condition to come back to your offer

the rear locket venting issues can be solved , don’t worry about that , and solved as cheaply snd inelegant as flip boat plugs in outside of boat , or the re routing they are describing above , don’t ask for fixes like that as it will ruin your negotiating position .   

Edited by granddaddy55

I checked out the listing. So... 67K Canadian works out to about 50,500 USD. That is a fantastic price for that boat. The boat is very well optioned (heater, trailer step, bimini, surfgates, tower mirror, stereo, gel upgrades...). It has the 350 which is better than the 330 which I had and low hours, but not so low that it sat around not being used.

Things I would check on... Ask what prop, make sure it comes with the torque prop if you plan to surf a lot. (2315) The standard prop struggled a bit for sure. (typically dealers can switch out props for you at no cost. If they aren't willing, grab one from wakemakers and make the standard prop your emergency backup)

I cannot tell from the pic where the location of the rear ballast bag vents are. Check on that if they are all the way to the rear of the locker, see if they will cut you a deal on moving them for you. Also, are bags included? If not, ask them to throw them in, but if they don't, it shouldn't make or break the deal.

I would jump on this as it seems like a great price, not to mention they are including a warranty of some kind.

ahopkins22LSV

2315 is the model number of the prop. It will be stamped in the hub of the prop. Here is an example of what to look for. Not a 2315, but the OJ 951 on my boat. Will look the same. 

I’d ask the seller for a picture of the prop just like this or just look at it yourself. A prop definitely isn’t a walk away type thing in my opinion as is can be easily and quite cheaply changed to what you need. 

E7C13619-95A5-4251-A980-A6D8E2518F18.thumb.jpeg.99fe030c3d98b2588ddc23521a20f01a.jpeg

Ya, I wouldn't walk away from that deal. Did I miss understand it...I thought it was posted by a dealer... if it's a private seller, I would just buy it and work out those details I mentioned above either yourself or with your local dealer.

Since picking my boat up 2 years ago I've kept an eye on the used boat market and this seems like a very reasonable deal considering it is well equipped with warranty.  For comparison SWS is selling a 2012 A22 for 69,900, a few less hours however has no surf system!  If you can somehow be assured that it has been winterized properly I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up, it may not last long!

• 4 weeks later...

14’s are a nice value , im partial snd the tower is much better looking and the Bimini seems more suited to the boat in that tower versus the way it looks snd performs for coverage on the newer tower