Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23 LSV vs 2017/18 22 VLX

bovhica

I've narrowed down my search to 4 boats (2 2015 23LSVs, 17 22vlx and 18 22vlx) . I currently have a 2011 21vride with floating wedge, 350 motor, 2419 prop (which is a game changer for my setup), suck gate, 200s rear hard tanks, 750s rear bags, 580 mid ship bag under floor and 750 bow bag on seat for surfing.  All bags are plumbed except the bow sac.  We surf 90% so other activities aren't a real important part of the equation in my search.  I've been wanting to upgrade to a surfgate boat for convienence and also the power wedge for tuning the wave along with an upgraded motor.  I would also like a larger boat for room and wave potential, but 23 ft is about the biggest i can go for storage in my shelter logic temp enclosure.  My boat is 21.5 ft and I have another foot and half to spare as it sits now on the trailer inside the enclosure.  I dont have to fold the tower so that's a non issue. Also, Our lake is 3000' and on occasion go to a lake over 5000'.  

My primary goal is to upgrade the wave, or at least the ability to easily and quickly adjust the wave for different riders and styles.  To justify the upgrade cost, it will have to be a noticable difference, preferably longer and taller.  I like my wave on my current boat, but I haven't surfed other boats so I have no comparable experience other than what i have read here.  The motor is also important for my high altitude and heavy ballast.  Although the base motor with aggressive prop works great on my boat, I wouldn't want it in a heavier or bigger boat.  My wife also complains about the bow bag.  It is a must have for surfing in my boat.  Eliminating it or plumbing it under the seat/floor could sway my choice, if I could still get a quality wave in the newer boat. 

I think i would prefer the  2015 23lsv for more room, but my dealer has 2 vlxs (2017 and 2018) that are tempting.  Only a $2000 difference in asking price and they are equally optioned and both have the 6.2 410 motor.  Are there any major differences between 17 and 18 model vlx?  Will they surf the same? And how do they compare to the 2015 23LSV?

One LSV has the LS3 Corvette motor upgrade, upgraded stereo package and clamp style board racks upgrade. It is $5000 less than 18 vlx.  

The other LSV has the 409?  Not as optioned out but is $5000 less and 10 grand less than the 18 vlx.

Which boat and why?  I'm leaning toward the 23LSV with the LS3 motor because of options and the price is the median price of the 4 boats.  I'm not opposed to saving $5000 and getting the LSV with a 409, if that motor will be enough?  Or paying $5000 more for a basically new boat in the VLX.  It's a nice dilemma to have, but nonetheless any advice or input would be appreciated!

Edited by bovhica

15’ lsv with the big motor, and the options.

bigger boat with more room , more freeboard, more storage , more weight.

side by side stock the 23 may have a slightly larger wave, but with the bigger motor and additional foot in length you will be able to handle additional weight better for ultimately a larger wave. (And at altitude, larger motor reigns supreme)

the 18vlx with PW3 May be a variable over the 15, but I’d probably push for the best deal on the 23

what sort of hours are we talking about, as the 15 is probably out of warranty 

I’d do the 15 with the 450 as well. The 409 is good for us, but we are essentially at sea level.  If you get the 409 and aren’t happy, you will regret not spending the extra little bit. Besides, clamping racks are nice!

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

side by side stock the 23 may have a slightly larger wave, but with the bigger motor and additional foot in length you will be able to handle additional weight better for ultimately a larger wave. (And at altitude, larger motor reigns supreme)

the 18vlx with PW3 May be a variable over the 15, but I’d probably push for the best deal on the 23

100% agree with all of this except the 18 still has power wedge 2. PW3 started in 2019. 

• Like 2

‘15 w/ LS3 ftw.  I am at both of your altitudes routinely and had that exact setup.  Our home lake is 3000’ and that motor will genuinely put a smile on your face.  Our cabin is at 5005’ and the LS3 was a must have!

If @surfdude has a year of transferable warranty I would be looking close at his boat but I also live within an 8 hour drive.  Good luck.  

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

15 with bigger motor has 300 hrs.  The others are very low.   

1 hour ago, surfdude said:

Check my 15 out in the classifieds, 450 motor, 2773 prop, set up perfect for your altitude. Year of transferable warranty left.

Will do.  Thanks!  I'd love to buy a boat from a fellow crew member, however I was strictly looking at dealers because of trade.  I may have to consider selling mine first. 

54 minutes ago, ID AX said:

‘15 w/ LS3 ftw.  I am at both of your altitudes routinely and had that exact setup.  Our home lake is 3000’ and that motor will genuinely put a smile on your face.  Our cabin is at 5005’ and the LS3 was a must have!

If @surfdude has a year of transferable warranty I would be looking close at his boat but I also live within an 8 hour drive.  Good luck.  

Thanks for the input!  We are probably talking about the same lakes. Lucky peak and payette or cascade? For what it's worth the 2 vlxs are at IWS in Nampa.  The LSV is up north.

9 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Thanks for the input!  We are probably talking about the same lakes. Lucky peak and payette or cascade? For what it's worth the 2 vlxs are at IWS in Nampa.  The LSV is up north.

Yes sir.  We have a cabin on Payette and have bought all of our boats from IWS.  I won’t deal with anyone else in this town, I have tried.  Who are you working with?  

Feel free to pm me or ask any questions.  

13 minutes ago, ID AX said:

Yes sir.  We have a cabin on Payette and have bought all of our boats from IWS.  I won’t deal with anyone else in this town, I have tried.  Who are you working with?  

Feel free to pm me or ask any questions.  

Thank you!  I would love to know your ballast configuration if you don't mind?

I have not got to a point of negotiation yet....just a looky loo, but we are ready to pull the trigger for the right boat and trade valuation.  I'm not on a first name basis with anyone at the dealership but have heard good things.  I bought both my previous malibu's elsewhere.  Any recs on salesman over there if I do end up buying from them?

15 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

300 hours in four years is pretty average, maybe a bit above average. I wouldn’t worry about that at all!

I'm not worried.  We put 150 to 200 per year on our boat.  Besides at 300 she is just getting broke in!🤘

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Thank you!  I would love to know your ballast configuration if you don't mind?

I have not got to a point of negotiation yet....just a looky loo, but we are ready to pull the trigger for the right boat and trade valuation.  I'm not on a first name basis with anyone at the dealership but have heard good things.  I bought both my previous malibu's elsewhere.  Any recs on salesman over there if I do end up buying from them?

I went with the @IXFE config.  Custom wakemakers bags in the rear lockers and 1000lb triangle on a dedicated reversible pump in the bow.  I ran the wedge 2 to 3 clicks from the bottom.  We found after a couple years that I could put about 200lbs of lead in the bow and run the rear bags at approx 50% to 70% and the wave was only slightly smaller.  This was our preferred setup for the last year we had the boat.  No bow bag and if we had more than 4 people on the boat it was almost as good as all of the ballast and 2 people.  

Hearing that the 2 - 22s are at IWS would make me personally consider them more.  I have known them for a long time and would have a hard time going elsewhere.  That’s just me though.  The sales people are awesome and we ended up working with @chantel for our last boat.  You will find numerous people on here that have great things to say about her.  

@bovhica I'm happy to help, even if it's just to talk about the differences between the 4 boats on your list, I've spent a LOT of time in both models. Feel free to call me anytime at Idaho Water Sports in Nampa

• Like 2

@ID AX thanks for the info.  My wife would be happy with no bow bag so that's great info and good news!  Just dont have a very durable wave in my boat without it.  I could just pull the lead out when trailering. I also like the idea of buying from IWS, but they dont have an LSV within $10,000 of my budget with the motor, year (15 or newer) and options I desire.  I will probably stop by and talk to them soon and let them know to keep me posted if something comes in.  Maybe they would broker the deal for the boat up north for a modest fee/commission?  I would like to develop a good relationship with them. They are about 10 to 15 minutes from my home.

9 minutes ago, bovhica said:

I also like the idea of buying from IWS, but they dont have an LSV within $10,000 of my budget with the motor, year (15 or newer) and options I desire.  

Go talk to them.  You might be surprised and at the very least they have boats constantly going through there.  Hell you just missed my ‘15 by a couple months.  

• Like 2

I'd consider the 22VLX's more than anyone else is stating solely for the warranty factor. 2016+ have a 5 year warranty and almost all 2015's will be out of warranty now. I absolutely love our families 2015 22VLX and believe the wake is just as good as a 23lsv. There are no major changes in 2017-2018 VLXs, or any if I can remember. In 2016, the 409 engine also became standard so that's a huge plus.

4 hours ago, Chappy said:

Go with the bigger boat, I bought a VLX and almost immediately wished I had the LSV.

I think you are right.  I already have a vlx size boat in the 21 vride (08 vlx hull) Its actually 21.5 ft.  If I'm going to spend the money, I have realized a larger boat is a must.

• 1 month later...

Update:

After hours of deliberation and attempts to persuade the CEO on the boat purchase, "We" decided to keep our VRide for a few more years.  I did talk her into budgeting for a couple DIY winter mods and getting GSA installed later this month.  The DIY mods are complete and we are really excited to finally have an automated surf system.  I really was only looking at newer boats for the surfgate and power wedge as primary factors and larger interior as a secondary but not not necessarily a deal breaker. The bling, touch screen, comfort items, etc...would be nice but were less important.  GSA will give us the automated surf system and will also allow me to influence height and length of wave, so I feel like I will have similar wave tuning abilities as boats with surfgate and power wedge (I have floating wedge.)  Thanks for all the input and help!  Here are some photos of my bow seating and ballast integration mods.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ucllqt5

You will love it.  I remember making mods to our VLX and each time I did I think I was just as excited by those as I have been by new boats.  GSA will be a game changer for you all. Enjoy!