Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Raimie

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Recommended Posts

Hyperryd

Malibu needs to get tricky with the Surf gates.  Direct them down to act as extra rudders when backing up.  when the boat goes above 20, turn them sideways to act as a hydrofoil to create lift to help out with fuel economy!

 

I know that isn't realistic, but if they really got creative with some type of servos and some extra engineering anything is possible.  You already have two more rudder/wings on the back of the boat.  Use them for something other than surfing!!  LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Humour me here. Let’s say the port surf gate is deployed. Would the boat potentially back up straighter as it’s essentially dragging that side preventing the starboard pull.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
On 2/1/2019 at 11:05 AM, hethj7 said:

The 5 zone stereo control MC had on the X24 at the boat show was really slick.   Bu should follow on that one.   

Bu also needs more interior factory lighting options.   Pretty much every other brand has them beat in that category (except maybe if buying an M235).

Improve the surf pockets on the Bimini - make a true pocket at the front vs. just the strap to make it easier to secure boards.  

Maybe some stitching options on the interior - colored threads, etc. like on MC would be a nice touch.   

 

 

Agree 100% on the lighting. 

I actually like just the straps on the Bimini. I never unbuckle them... just slide the board in. I know guys who slide them in from the front because they are less likely to fly out that way (fins up in the front). The pockets you describe would make that impossible. 

Colored stitching is an option now. I picked azure blue for my interior!  Can’t wait to see how it turned out. I think @ahopkinsVTX did as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7
14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Agree 100% on the lighting. 

I actually like just the straps on the Bimini. I never unbuckle them... just slide the board in. I know guys who slide them in from the front because they are less likely to fly out that way (fins up in the front). The pockets you describe would make that impossible. 

Colored stitching is an option now. I picked azure blue for my interior!  Can’t wait to see how it turned out. I think @ahopkinsVTX did as well. 

I feel like the reason they are prone to fly out is because the wind gets under them a bit.   The pockets would shield them a bit from that and keep them from wanting to fly out, or at least that is my theory.  Slide the front in the pocket and cinch down the back strap seems ideal to me.   

Good news on the colored stitching.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr
48 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I feel like the reason they are prone to fly out is because the wind gets under them a bit.   The pockets would shield them a bit from that and keep them from wanting to fly out, or at least that is my theory.  Slide the front in the pocket and cinch down the back strap seems ideal to me.   

Good news on the colored stitching.  

I was quoted $500 for colored stitching. For string? Pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
1 hour ago, wdr said:

I was quoted $500 for colored stitching. For string? Pass

It’s $150 for the cabin and $450 for the rest of the boat. That’s MSRP, so figure $450 for both after normal discount. 

I’m a sucker so I took the bait. Here’s what mine should look like. 

Pretty sure I got this pic from Hop...

8D4B6212-2823-47C2-97F5-461173D9C5F1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

@IXFE yep that is ours! I bet there is like 15-20 meters of stitch in each boat, break that down and the coast is really nothing. Really sets the interior off. I get a ton of compliments on it. I think it’s been an option for awhile, I don’t remember when it was introduced. 

These are probably the best pictures I have of it other than the one you posted. 

B94A522C-1870-4E8A-9EB6-94AB9B14263E.thumb.jpeg.29e265908e1ea935a4931945be413066.jpeg

285EA18E-DCE3-4AB6-809D-9708485D8C63.thumb.jpeg.59b09555f34f2336f9f276db1ea21ece.jpeg

57946A9C-F540-426A-823E-9C52A163EC91.thumb.jpeg.feeeec2da1afec4a910c2ace6a2035d0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

I’ve also never had a board even come close to flying out of the surf straps on the bimini. I don’t unbuckle them either. It’s probably easier to access mine on the VTX though as the bimini goes almost all the way to the sunpad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
7 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I feel like the reason they are prone to fly out is because the wind gets under them a bit.   The pockets would shield them a bit from that and keep them from wanting to fly out, or at least that is my theory.  Slide the front in the pocket and cinch down the back strap seems ideal to me.   

Good news on the colored stitching.  

I don’t know how you guys get away with that on top, even with real pockets with shielding my boards would be piping hot in our Louisiana sun snd summer, I have to put mine under , I tried on top starting February last year. By March I went under cause they were that hot already , black material over shielded silver still would transfer plenty heat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

I have never lost a board up there either but perhaps am paranoid as a buddy did.  

In terms of sun, it isn’t like the racks are shaded either.  We did buy surf socks to put over our better boards even when in racks to help.  

Anyways, the pockets aren’t a huge deal and I see your all’s points too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tjards

I just strap my board bag to the top with the zipper facing the back. Can store a few boards in there and much easier to get in and out of. Also never lost a board off the top doing it this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikew919

I thought they already offered colored stitching? Got it on my 2017. Was that just an M thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7
23 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Humour me here. Let’s say the port surf gate is deployed. Would the boat potentially back up straighter as it’s essentially dragging that side preventing the starboard pull.  

Hmmm, this actually deserves more thought.  Quick, someone go try this out using service mode and report back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie
19 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

I thought they already offered colored stitching? Got it on my 2017. Was that just an M thing? 

It's been available for 2 or 3 years that I know of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
On 2/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, Cole2001 said:

Humour me here. Let’s say the port surf gate is deployed. Would the boat potentially back up straighter as it’s essentially dragging that side preventing the starboard pull.  

I actually just put gates in service mode. First time ever. They BOTH go out. It will back straight😂😁

Edited by Sparky450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

Lol, I forgot they both move.  When I was using service mode I had a SG issue where one wasn’t working, so I only had 1 moving at the time.  

FYI though, if you ever get a gate stuck out when on the water, put it in service mode and deploy the second gate.   Then you can still use your rudder to steer back to the dock.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lees23
On 2/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, hethj7 said:

I have never lost a board up there either but perhaps am paranoid as a buddy did.  

In terms of sun, it isn’t like the racks are shaded either.  We did buy surf socks to put over our better boards even when in racks to help.  

Anyways, the pockets aren’t a huge deal and I see your all’s points too.  

I have had a board fall out a couple of times.. luckily someone has always noticed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpaceSurfer
45 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

I have had a board fall out a couple of times.. luckily someone has always noticed. 

I found a wakefoil board that fell out of a top bimini. Luckily the board was returned to its owners who were very happy not having lost a very expensive board!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shodan01

I heard at the boat show that a 23MXZ was coming.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tjards
10 hours ago, Shodan01 said:

I heard at the boat show that a 23MXZ was coming.....

I would doubt that to happen even tho it would be a model i sure would love to have

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
11 hours ago, Shodan01 said:

I heard at the boat show that a 23MXZ was coming.....

Is this your first time at a boat show? I’d take it with a grain of salt. Those truly in the know aren’t sharing, multiply that by the amount of listening ears at a boat show, plus dealer meetings are no where near boat shows... I’m hoping you get the hint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcon44
On 2/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, Shodan01 said:

I heard at the boat show that a 23MXZ was coming.....

23 MLX would be a lot cooler!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brantb

It would be great if they were to put the malibu tower/bimini on the axis line. Better sun coverage and a significantly better looking tower that is much easier to fold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieSkier
1 hour ago, Brantb said:

It would be great if they were to put the malibu tower/bimini on the axis line. Better sun coverage and a significantly better looking tower that is much easier to fold.

Then it would be a Malibu... not an Axis....:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi
19 hours ago, Brantb said:

It would be great if they were to put the malibu tower/bimini on the axis line. Better sun coverage and a significantly better looking tower that is much easier to fold.

I don't want the tower look to change, but a little shock/gas assist would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...