Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Raimie

1 hour ago, semi said:

Would love to be able to trim the prop up for shallow areas. Even if it was 6" at idle speeds. That would be a winner. And dock star on every boat. 

Thumbs up on the dock star.

1 hour ago, semi said:

Would love to be able to trim the prop up for shallow areas. Even if it was 6" at idle speeds. That would be a winner. And dock star on every boat. 

Thrusters have replaced that complicated dockstar system

21 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Thrusters are 10x more complicated than dockstar.....

what is so complicated about dockstar?

I would think Dockstar has to be substantially less $$ also.

Not sure if this had been discussed in any previous discussions about the 25LSV, but the one thing I saw on the 25LSV at the boat show that had the new Malibu engine was the seat back panel that buts up to the engine slides up and out for better access to the engine.  I would like to think that they will implement this on all the new Malibu models with the new Malibu engines.  This made it super easy to get to everything on the engine.  That feature was only pointed out to me on the 25LSV.  The guy I talked to told me that previous engines were made and marinized obviously for all boat brands in general.  Whereas Malibu made their new engine to fit Malibu boats and to have better access to everything based on Malibu's boat designs.

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Thrusters are 10x more complicated than dockstar.....

what is so complicated about dockstar?

Thrusters are not more complicated way more simple.. They are just basically a trolling motor mounted to the stern.. Just because Nautique charges 10,000.00 for them does not mean that they are $10,000.. and you can pick them up aftermarket for way less.. the bow thrusters are around $400.00.... 

Dockstar uses a tie bar system to move the rudders... they must be in alignment, any strikes and imho have fun getting the boat to track correctly again. I could be wrong, to me, more things to go wrong and more hassles when they do...

I agree with @ahopkinsVTX.. just learn to drive it.. and in my experience, my 23 backs up with more control and able to back up to left way easier then my 21 ft.

47 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

So, a system that consists of an impeller, electric motor, heavy gauge wiring, relays, an electronic control unit,  and a joystick, is way more simple than a couple small rudders and a tie bar?? Got it...

And if you strike something, the dealers have an alignment tool, and it takes all of 5 minutes to realign them.

”just learn to drive it” is the standard answer for anyone that hasn’t spent considerable time in a crowded marina area on a windy day in an inboard with dockstar or a thruster. Once you experience how nice it is, it is hard to not want it on your own boat.

does any good driver need it? No. Does it make it nicer for even the best drivers? Yes.

Not stating that is not beneficial... And would make life easier for either system.. No Marina's on the river system I frequent. On the lakes there are, but they are in the coves and usually protected from the wind.

Yes, to me a simple motor that is not adding complexity to the rudder system or more points for water intrusion due to rudder impacts/failures. 

Everyone has an opinion and I will stand by statement. I can see your point on the simplicity of the mechanical design, but for me it adds complexity to a simple one rudder design and more failure points. 

And the installation of the system is a no brainer,  and can be added to any boat, no change in mold design to accommodate the extra rudders. Then if adding to a different brand... dealing with infringement on copy write laws, negotiating with lawyers for royalties to use dockstar ... that seems more complex to me.. 

Edited by kerpluxal
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Says the guy with the tiny boat that is easy to maneuver!! :tease2:

I drive plenty of the big boats for events that remain fully loaded pulling into tight dock spaces with big crews on board in the wind too. Ask @hunter77ah or @Raimie :Tease3: I can also handle my friends 50’ sea ray but yeah that does need a bow thruster ;) 

That’s funny you mentioned that. I just met the CFO of Bartletta the other day. This company will take off. The guy that owns Bartletta use to own several RV manufacturers including Keystone and Grand Design. He robbed all the best sales people, engineers and production from Bennington, Godfrey and Forest River.   However, there is another company doing this also, not sure of the name.

35 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

That’s funny you mentioned that. I just met the CFO of Bartletta the other day. This company will take off. The guy that owns Bartletta use to own several RV manufacturers including Keystone and Grand Design. He robbed all the best sales people, engineers and production from Bennington, Godfrey and Forest River.   However, there is another company doing this also, not sure of the name.

The other company doing expanding toon I think was given the info and how to from Barletta but can't confirm just what I heard.. 

Yes he apparently built and sold for 500m or something and has grown Barletta crazily in the past 2 yrs to the point the other major brands are getting worried, however thier price point has reduced in gap to other brands compared to their 1st year.. most likely because why sell for less when all toon companies have sold all build slots every year often within the first month of the year. 

I've been eyeing their toons I like some of thier innovations but was a bit hesitant on a 1st year model.. however last year they made vast improvements, can't wait to see this year's models should be much refined.. 

Their CEO will make this a major brands within a few years, he has the experience no doubt. 

How about a new dash.  Malibu has had the same dash for 5 years.  When it came out on the 15s it was far and away better than anything on the market, now everyone has caught up.  Malibu needs to stay ahead of the game and come out with something fresh. 

• Like 3
On 1/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hemmy said:

Not sure if this had been discussed in any previous discussions about the 25LSV, but the one thing I saw on the 25LSV at the boat show that had the new Malibu engine was the seat back panel that buts up to the engine slides up and out for better access to the engine.  I would like to think that they will implement this on all the new Malibu models with the new Malibu engines.  This made it super easy to get to everything on the engine.  That feature was only pointed out to me on the 25LSV.  The guy I talked to told me that previous engines were made and marinized obviously for all boat brands in general.  Whereas Malibu made their new engine to fit Malibu boats and to have better access to everything based on Malibu's boat designs.

Generally when you see a design improvement they do not get implemented on other models until they go through a redesign.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:17 PM, kerpluxal said:

@spikew919 look at tug boat propulsion, it is a pod underwater. You have 360° degree movement of the prop and no rudder. I have thought of this before but with electric power motors ;)

Huge cost to implement and ungodly to repair if you tear up the bottom gear.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, Cole2001 said:

Lol just learn to drive:rockon:

Surf gate adjustability is what I want and maybe a new deeper Hull. 

My sources have told me that it was tested and the minor difference was not worth it.

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Huge cost to implement and ungodly to repair if you tear up the bottom gear.

I agree... was just stating the technology is out there.. I think volvo has this option as well.. available on yachts lol... yes the volvo pod drive... 

On 1/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, Cole2001 said:

Lol just learn to drive:rockon:

Surf gate adjustability is what I want and maybe a new deeper Hull. 

It's called a centurion

I agree why not update software and give adjustability, maybe a few bucks more on actuator cost if the current models don't have sensors built in...  I still don't believe it can't help a little on the 25 for closer wake Riding 

Edited by The Hulk