Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Raimie

3 hours ago, bjw444 said:

See I personally don’t love some of the Malibu items such as the g3.5 tower. It arcs forward so the ropes always getting tangled in the racks and on the boards due to where the tow point is as well as the tower speakers mounted so low that the deafen the passengers. But I love both the axis and Malibu. But the people that say the axis are no good are just ignorant. A properly weighted T23 and a identically equipped 23LSV produce nearly identical wakes both surfing and wake boarding for 30-40k less. Yes the axis does not have screens but some prefer it that way.  These people that say this are probably the same ones that make fun of people driving a suburban instead of a Escalade. 

I agree completely on the G3.5 tower observations both about the tow point placement and the speaker placement. Hopefully Malibu will have something more innovative for the 2020's.

20 hours ago, bjw444 said:

See I personally don’t love some of the Malibu items such as the g3.5 tower. It arcs forward so the ropes always getting tangled in the racks and on the boards due to where the tow point is as well as the tower speakers mounted so low that the deafen the passengers. But I love both the axis and Malibu. But the people that say the axis are no good are just ignorant. A properly weighted T23 and a identically equipped 23LSV produce nearly identical wakes both surfing and wake boarding for 30-40k less. Yes the axis does not have screens but some prefer it that way.  These people that say this are probably the same ones that make fun of people driving a suburban instead of a Escalade. 

I’ve had the G3 and 3.5 and the only time the ropes end up in the racks is when the wife drives or a noobie. The route taken to pick up the rider and angle of your turn is what does it.

as far as the sound stage goes, yeah you can blow out the passengers with the speaker placement, and the MC and nautique are set up better for rider sound. 

But as someone above 5,5” I hit my head on the MC and G towers almost every time getting in or out of the boat.

NXT is garbage, Meh at best on looks and the amount of Bow rise when surfing is laughable 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I’ve had the G3 and 3.5 and the only time the ropes end up in the racks is when the wife drives or a noobie. The route taken to pick up the rider and angle of your turn is what does it.

as far as the sound stage goes, yeah you can blow out the passengers with the speaker placement, and the MC and nautique are set up better for rider sound. 

But as someone above 5,5” I hit my head on the MC and G towers almost every time getting in or out of the boat.

NXT is garbage, Meh at best on looks and the amount of Bow rise when surfing is laughable 

5.5” huh? :rofl:

I agree though. The height of the G3.5 is perfect. In 6’1” and can still walk under my tower even on the vtx. I have to duck on a g23 which is crazy to me. 

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

The pre-2018 G’s I definitely agree with, but the MC speakers are much higher. Depending on which tower you get, speaker clearance is 6’ (ZFT4), or 6’3” with the ZFT7.... and if you opt for the T85 pods, the clearance is 6’2” (zft4), and 6’5” (zft7).

Those are the clearances in the X series. I have never measured the NXT, but they seemed the same to me on the newer ones with the zft2. I do remember the first NXT tower had lower head clearance..... and it was ugly as hell.

The MC towers don’t bother me as much as the MC Bimini when deployed. 

2019 X-Star surfs in my cove regularly. Great looking boat then they put the Bimini up and all I can see is an expensive pontoon boat. 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:07 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

Depending on which tower you get, speaker clearance is 6’ (ZFT4), or 6’3” with the ZFT7.... and if you opt for the T85 pods, the clearance is 6’2” (zft4), and 6’5” (zft7).

From the floor up those measurements sound right, but the way the tower is shaped the soundstage is back towards the rear seat and when coming back into the boat for the rear it’s a head banger.

here’s a pic from their ZFT4 promo video.

532E478A-24A1-4073-A6E9-21727FCBBF26.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
On 7/26/2019 at 10:28 PM, IXFE said:

They look like...

1AEF6F44-390B-4EA4-B139-A5E4C213C11D.jpeg

YES, exactly. Way to skinny for the boat. Again, still looks like they forgot about the tower and at the last minute called Overtons and ordered something to bolt on. 

and yep, on the XT line the tower seems further back. I looked at the xt20 and hand to duck to get into the boat from the rear. Another point was the take down handles for the towers protrude into the seating area. If you sit anywhere near the tower it will hit the back of your head or neck. There are some items on the NXT and XT line that just don't make sense. I do like the "hip" style, but a new tower design is necessary. 

Edited by semi
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Stevo said:

From the floor up those measurements sound right, but the way the tower is shaped the soundstage is back towards the rear seat and when coming back into the boat for the rear it’s a head banger.

here’s a pic from their ZFT4 promo video.

532E478A-24A1-4073-A6E9-21727FCBBF26.jpeg

That only applies on the boats under 22 feet (or the last gen XStar because the windshield was so far back).

swept forward, straight up, or swept back.... all of them have as many pros and as many cons as the others. None of them are anywhere near perfect.

1 hour ago, nutoz said:

When is boating industry coming to electric propulsion instead of just bigger engines.  How about photovoltaic bimini tops. 

I would guess that when the electric systems have the range/power/weight needed to be able to run our boats.  Then you have to have them be affordable (that word is hard to say in the boating industry) without government subsidy.

18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

seems like in a low power situation where you could have a big solar bimini, like a pontoon, it might work?  Still, that's a big battery array too.

Not enough area to get the needed amperage to keep the batteries topped off. Maybe if you let it sit for a LONG time after running it(Days) .

Edited by 23LSVOwner
18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Everything but range today.

Which can be taken care of with weight (ie: adding more batteries).  And, affordability is out the window.  It's going to be some time before all the qualities are there.

4 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

Which can be taken care of with weight (ie: adding more batteries).  And, affordability is out the window.  It's going to be some time before all the qualities are there.

You think these boats have electrical gremlins now. It’s going to spiral out of control if the industry goes that direction. Water and electricity are bitter enemies and their weapon of choice is corrosion. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

They also did an electric GS20 last year. It was $250K and the run time was two hours. Lol. 

Google it. 

That is awesome!  I am impressed with 2 hour run time and a 2 hour charge time.  That is perfect if you lived on a lake and wanted to go for a morning or after work session.  Impractical on price but in time, they will likely become more affordable. 

2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

That is awesome!  I am impressed with 2 hour run time and a 2 hour charge time.  That is perfect if you lived on a lake and wanted to go for a morning or after work session.  Impractical on price but in time, they will likely become more affordable. 

Completely useless for me.  If it cant last a minimum of 15 hours, then it wont work for my camping trips where there is no charging. 

As I said above, it will be some time before they are practical.

• Like 3

I could do an electric slalom tractor.  When I have two buddies and myself on the boat in the morning, my total engine runtime is probably about an hour and probably 30% of that is idling at the end of a pass, tightening the line, etc.  Then the boat sits in the garage for a few days until its next turn in the rotation.  If the batteries and electric motor weighed the same as a 5.7L, I'd try it.

I'd miss the heater in the winter though.  We ski year round out here and the 110 degree rule is often in play.