Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Raimie

39 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I heard they modified the tower and windshield on the VTX to not interfere with the slalom rope at all, but I am not so sure how I feel about that.

From what I can see though, I like the rest of the changes!

That looks like the same Malibu windshield on that pic above. The Axis tower overlaps the glass and looks like poop, imho. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

That looks like the same Malibu windshield on that pic above. The Axis tower overlaps the glass and looks like poop, imho. 

Looks to me like it starts to wrap, but then has the side panels cut off on a similar line to the tower. I agree with you on the tower, not feeling it. I wonder if you have the option between the G3.5 and that.

As mentioned, I bet Malibu/Axis is trying to figure out how they can make a more affordable boat in their lineup.   It seems the semi-affordable boats are a thing right now—like the new Moomba 21.5 footer or possibly the new NXTs. 

2 hours ago, ejj said:

As mentioned, I bet Malibu/Axis is trying to figure out how they can make a more affordable boat in their lineup.   It seems the semi-affordable boats are a thing right now—like the new Moomba 21.5 footer or possibly the new NXTs. 

The new NXT’s are “a thing” right now???

What’s your evidence of that?  A few IG posts?

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Looks to me like it starts to wrap, but then has the side panels cut off on a similar line to the tower. I agree with you on the tower, not feeling it. I wonder if you have the option between the G3.5 and that.

You’re right. I had to look closer. My eyes are getting old. Lol

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

You’re right. I had to look closer. My eyes are getting old. Lol

I missed it too and then when you said something I could have sworn I saw a reflection of the tower and was ready to go all :rant: on malibu, glad I looked a third time :blush:

Still not a fan of the styling tower they choose though. I feel like it should be different than the Axis as it is on a Malibu. I like the functionality side of it but definitely not the design side of it. 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, bass10a said:

I’ll take “how much can we bolt to a transom” for $200 Alex 

That's what I was thinking. It's getting crowded back there.

ahopkins22LSV
17 minutes ago, IXFE said:

That tower is really nothing like the new Axis tower. Looks similar in architecture to the old Axis tower, but not identical. 

New vs Old

27D9217B-73CB-46D0-96C3-D99C2C3EE5E1.jpeg

843934BF-3CEF-45DF-ABE4-141C80BE2D7C.jpeg

I’m referring to the 2020 renderings of the axis tower that have been posted on here. Looks very similar to the vtx picture.

Edit: found pictures. You are right, it is still different but it seems very similar and no release lever, two knobs on each side. 

54F2A476-FD15-4E43-90A8-EB473A15CF62.jpeg

B70ACFC8-ED85-46E7-BC6E-C9D36086D4A5.jpeg

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

No—I think more affordable boats like the recent VLX 21 are becoming a thing. 

8 minutes ago, ejj said:

No—I think more affordable boats like the recent VLX 21 are becoming a thing. 

Took me 6 months to see my 2017 21 VLX with like 20 hours on it.  And it was priced REALLY good.  

9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I was on a local dealers Facebook page and they reposted some pictures from Boating Magazine's page.  They have a Axis tower and windshield on a Malibu 20 VTX.

image.thumb.png.3ca5dc88a09d296a651558e03e3ab6d4.png

I think I like it.  I've never liked the forward arcing towers Malibu uses.  I get the function, but they wreck the lines of the boat IMO.

Fenders against the hull, I do not like.  Also looks like another set of cleats is in order...

I'm not a fan of the tower on that VTX.....as Hopkins said hopefully they'll offer a choice.  That white one looks cheap IMO.  

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I wonder if that tower on a VTX would increase room for the rope in shortline slalom?

Probably why they made the changes.  Wonder what else is changed.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Fenders against the hull, I do not like.  Also looks like another set of cleats is in order...

Or hang fenders from the cleats already there.  Amateur docker.

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

The new nxt will be a great competitor to the a22.

pros and cons with each:

lift mode vs. no launch 

102 vs 99

m5di vs 6.0 gdi

sliding bench vs real rear facing seat

no profiles vs profiles 

15 vs 14 people 

3000 + wedge vs 2000 + gen2 

Wetsound’s vs klipsh 

12 hours ago, Brantb said:

If the above is the case i hope that comes with a good price drop vs the usual YoY price increase. The axis tower is the biggest dislike of the line. Really wish they would get some shocks to assist lifting/lowering.

The new axis tower aw20 is lift assisted.

so the new VTX has the TXI-like tower, TXI-like windshield... wonder if it has a hull based on the current TXi running surface too.  Should be a nice ski-V with the lighter M5DI under the hatch too.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

The new nxt will be a great competitor to the a22.

pros and cons with each:

lift mode vs. no launch 

102 vs 99

m5di vs 6.0 gdi

sliding bench vs real rear facing seat

no profiles vs profiles 

15 vs 14 people 

3000 + wedge vs 2000 + gen2 

Wetsound’s vs klipsh 

i would take the tower on the Axis or that Bu over the NXT tower any day. Some say the nxt will be popular but the tower on that boat is hideous. The axis style tower is light years better looking. 

45 minutes ago, semi said:

i would take the tower on the Axis or that Bu over the NXT tower any day. Some say the nxt will be popular but the tower on that boat is hideous. The axis style tower is light years better looking. 

Are you talking about the current NXT tower?  They put a different tower on (maybe last year?) that looks fine.

The original tower (and Bimini) was a major dog. 

19 minutes ago, ejj said:

Are you talking about the current NXT tower?  They put a different tower on (maybe last year?) that looks fine.

The original tower (and Bimini) was a major dog. 

2018 got the new tower and looks a 1000 times better.  The original tower was beyond terrible.

Edited by Cazan
25 minutes ago, IXFE said:

IMHO, the NXT (old and new) is barely one step above the Wake Tractor. Sorry. 

completely agree. Don't care if its the 17, or the upgrade in 18/19 or the 2020.. they all look terrible. Better now, but still terrible!!!!  Now if they allowed you to upgrade to the ZFT4, that would look better. But MC towers are not the best looking. And the ZFT2 is just terrible. And you can't upgrade the tower according to the configurator. 

• Like 3