Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Raimie

Dockstar type rudders is a solid option. Thrusters are nice when they work, but cost and complexity...

(Decades of experience with 40-50 foot sailboats. Thrusters are great, but if you could do most of that with small rudders...)

On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, The Hulk said:

Malibu should have bow +aft thruster setup for 25lsv in 2020.. 

Would be interesting to see how they could have a rear thruster on a Bu. I’d think it would be very difficult with the surf pipe, wedge, and surf gate tabs in the way. Has it been done? The MXZ24 has a bow thruster option, but no rear thruster, right?

I was speaking with a Malibu Rep at the Minneapolis Boat Show last weekend and he mentioned that the LT4 (6.2 DI Supercharged) will be their third in-house engine. He said that the LT4 will most likely be an option on the 2020 boats.  Specs for this engine are 650 hp/650 lb-ft.  I am excited to see if this information is correct. https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lt4-dry-sump

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, DogDays said:

I was speaking with a Malibu Rep at the Minneapolis Boat Show last weekend and he mentioned that the LT4 (6.2 DI Supercharged) will be their third in-house engine. He said that the LT4 will most likely be an option on the 2020 boats.  Specs for this engine are 650 hp/650 lb-ft.  I am excited to see if this information is correct. https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lt4-dry-sump

That would be phenomenal! 

• Like 2

I'd like to see a new dash that provides improved stereo zone control.  The software stereo mixer is painful.  I'd like to see three smaller zone control knobs (sub, interior, tower) plus the larger master volume knob we currently have.  At a minimum, the tower speakers need their own physical knob--I could live with the sub and interior zones being software controlled.     

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, Cory said:

I'd like to see a new dash that provides improved stereo zone control.  The software stereo mixer is painful.  I'd like to see three smaller zone control knobs (sub, interior, tower) plus the larger master volume knob we currently have.  At a minimum, the tower speakers need their own physical knob--I could live with the sub and interior zones being software controlled.     

On the main volume bar you can toggle between zones then control the tower volume with the sport knob. I set the interior volume then toggle to tower and turn that up and down as needed while people are surfing via the sport knob. Works pretty well imo but I’ve also never had a zone controller in my boat prior to this. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Would be interesting to see how they could have a rear thruster on a Bu. I’d think it would be very difficult with the surf pipe, wedge, and surf gate tabs in the way. Has it been done? The MXZ24 has a bow thruster option, but no rear thruster, right?

Just mount it above surf wedge platform or to side like nautique, easy, very surprised they did bow thruster instead of aft thruster. Since bow is waaay more expensive, so why not do both or just buy the 4 way system they are using for bow thruster just two more pipes and holes in aft with valve it's not much more and the company already offers it.  Seems strange they didn't do it.. maybe they will do it on the 27lsv..

12 hours ago, The Hulk said:

It's called a centurion

I agree why not update software and give adjustability, maybe a few bucks more on actuator cost if the current models don't have sensors built in...  I still don't believe it can't help a little on the 25 for closer wake Riding 

Lol centurion is calling my name right now. 

I totally believe it’ll help. I’ve tested a variety of suck gates on different boats and they all liked something a little bit different. If Malibu is worried about compromising their simple setup wave they could keep the default setting and then have adjustments. 

ahopkins22LSV

Lol I love how you two continue to beat a drum that multiple people with reputable inside connections say it’s been tested and the results are minimal at best. The wedge provides a ton of adjustment, if you fail to see that then you are setting your boat up wrong. 

The reason for not offering adjustable positional settings on the gates might be very simple.  Isn't the surf gate patent written to specifically claim a 2 position system for the gates?

Edited by KJKimball
44 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Lol I love how you two continue to beat a drum that multiple people with reputable inside connections say it’s been tested and the results are minimal at best. The wedge provides a ton of adjustment, if you fail to see that then you are setting your boat up wrong. 

I believe this may be true on smaller boats, but not larger boats.

Wedge adjusts length and height of the wave but not the lip/curl/wash out. The lip or curl of the wave on 25 is washed out near the boat it forms far back.. like waaaay back and it can be mushy for heavy riders to get pop, closer to boat where firmer it's not cureled enough to get pop off wave, reducing amount of convergence would fix this problem easily. Nothing to do with wave size or length adjustment

It will help I'm 100% convinced at least on the 25. I'll eat my words if it doesn't 

If you look at SG on the 25 you can see that monster under water and the direct path of washed out water it creates back to the point the wave forms the curl.

Another interesting test would be to differentiate the vertical angle of the gate, Malibu is vertical, MB and Supra are mostly horizontal, currious how a variance would help. 

On another note possibly having surf side SG not fully retracted so it guides the convergence more softly or extends straight back and out to lengthen surf side of boat with further delayed convergence. This may fix heavily loaded boats from swim platform spray.. 

Anyway easy update for Malibu and would shut a lot of ppl up like me.. why not add it, they are the only ones without adjustability now.. seems a bit ridiculous, why offer wedge positions since 95% of ppl ride with it set on within the same 2 click position.. 

Edited by The Hulk
11 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Just mount it above surf wedge platform or to side like nautique, easy, very surprised they did bow thruster instead of aft thruster. Since bow is waaay more expensive, so why not do both or just buy the 4 way system they are using for bow thruster just two more pipes and holes in aft with valve it's not much more and the company already offers it.  Seems strange they didn't do it.. maybe they will do it on the 27lsv..

Where?? There is absolutely no place to put the thruster and have the water stream be effective. It would have to be mounted so high that the platform brackets and surf gates are 100% blocking it....... I’m pretty sure this is why they did a bow thruster on the 24.

D5C4C293-5EF9-4049-9618-42325231702F.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Anyway easy update for Malibu and would shut a lot of ppl up like me.. why not add it, they are the only ones without adjustability now.. seems a bit ridiculous, why offer wedge positions since 95% of ppl ride with it set on within the same 2 click position.. 

Or, perhaps they feel the "take rate" for something like this would be mediocre at best. Why either flesh out an option that few would opt for, or make something else standard that would add even further to the cost of the boats?

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I believe this may be true on smaller boats, but not larger boats.

Wedge adjusts length and height of the wave but not the lip/curl/wash out. The lip or curl of the wave on 25 is washed out near the boat it forms far back.. like waaaay back and it can be mushy for heavy riders to get pop, closer to boat where firmer it's not cureled enough to get pop off wave, reducing amount of convergence would fix this problem easily. Nothing to do with wave size or length adjustment

It will help I'm 100% convinced at least on the 25. I'll eat my words if it doesn't 

If you look at SG on the 25 you can see that monster under water and the direct path of washed out water it creates back to the point the wave forms the curl.

Another interesting test would be to differentiate the vertical angle of the gate, Malibu is vertical, MB and Supra are mostly horizontal, currious how a variance would help. 

On another note possibly having surf side SG not fully retracted so it guides the convergence more softly or extends straight back and out to lengthen surf side of boat with further delayed convergence. This may fix heavily loaded boats from swim platform spray.. 

Hulk, I used your boat for events in 2016. I strongly disagree with you. It sounds like you might be running too much rear weight. Sinking the surf gates under water could definitely wash out your wave. In the multiple events I drove with your boat I was able to make the wave super long and mellow or still long, yes slightly shorter, but with a good lip all with just the wedge. I had probably 50 total riders behind it equally goofy and regular that just drooled over the wave. I can make these same adjustments on my VTX. I don't think this is a length of boat issue, I think it is a boat setup issue.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Hulk, I used your boat for events in 2016. I strongly disagree with you. It sounds like you might be running too much rear weight. Sinking the surf gates under water could definitely wash out your wave. In the multiple events I drove with your boat I was able to make the wave super long and mellow or still long, yes slightly shorter, but with a good lip all with just the wedge. I had probably 50 total riders behind it equally goofy and regular that just drooled over the wave. I can make these same adjustments on my VTX. I don't think this is a length of boat issue, I think it is a boat setup issue.

This, I'll bet he's got too much weight in the rear as well. Too many instances of people thinking the more weight the better in these surf gate boats. That's old school thinking. It's not that way any more. Use your gates to make a wave. Tweak it with the wedge for height and weight in the bow for length. You do not have to sink the gated boats as much! You may have to take some of those snacks out that you haul around... ;)

The 5 zone stereo control MC had on the X24 at the boat show was really slick.   Bu should follow on that one.   

Bu also needs more interior factory lighting options.   Pretty much every other brand has them beat in that category (except maybe if buying an M235).

Improve the surf pockets on the Bimini - make a true pocket at the front vs. just the strap to make it easier to secure boards.  

Maybe some stitching options on the interior - colored threads, etc. like on MC would be a nice touch.   

Faster ballast pumps would go a long way for me.  I ride over lunch on the regular and shaving 10 mins of fill/drain time would mean I get a shower before heading back.  Maybe even a snack. Morning rides would also mean 10 mins more sleep.  Couldnt get this point across to the boat lift guy when I was explaining why up/down speed was so important to me. 

23 minutes ago, COOP said:

5 zone? Why? I can see tower and interior, and I guess you could call the sub a zone. But what are the other two? Bow? Left rear? These boats arent that big.

It’s tower, cockpit, bow, helm, and sub.

the bow zone is useless for the most part. The helm zone is nice for the driver if they don’t want the music as loud as the rest of the crew while driving (speakers are in the dash).

4 zones is plenty.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

It’s tower, cockpit, bow, helm, and sub.

the bow zone is useless for the most part. The helm zone is nice for the driver if they don’t want the music as loud as the rest of the crew while driving (speakers are in the dash).

4 zones is plenty.

Doesn't Bu have a fade and balance just like a car? I understand this won't turn down just the helm but it can turn down the bow. Malibu has tower, interior & sub for sure, plus fade and balance. Seems like enough to me.

I agree some more interior lighting would be nice. The RGB package on the M235 is super sweet, but also like $3k I believe. Only reason I can think they don't offer it is for service centers to up sell it and have them work for them? idk, just a thought.