Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Model Year Predictions & Emerging Facts Thread

Raimie

What are we going to see for 2020?

My predictions...

1. Wifi enabled option similar to GMs Infotainment system available on Malibu's
  2. Adjustable seat height option on Axis
  3. New Axis T series Model - T20 or T25

What are you guys thinking we will see? Anyone have any actual facts yet or is it too early?

Maybe the wakeboard industry will design a hydraulically propelled prop or something similar. And get rid of the rudder and be able to trim prop up and down and get better efficiency while surfing or getting on plane. And be able to select left hand or right hand rotation prop to boot 😁😁 it’s got to be doable. 

36 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Maybe the wakeboard industry will design a hydraulically propelled prop or something similar. And get rid of the rudder and be able to trim prop up and down and get better efficiency while surfing or getting on plane. And be able to select left hand or right hand rotation prop to boot 😁😁 it’s got to be doable. 

Probably the best idea for a #gamechanger that I have seen!! 

Worst part is, that is very doable, and would be remarkably easy to integrate. The only downside is the expense. I also think you’d want to keep a rudder though. Have you ever surfed any of these new I/O surf boats? If you turn the wheel even a little bit, the wave gets demolished. They are terrible if you ever have to turn, even a little bit.

trim adjustment would be awesome though, and maybe allow the prop to pivot for steering at low speed.

simple setup though. Engine mounted hydraulic pump, a valve assy, and a prop motor. Run the engine at a steady RPM in a good portion of its torque band at say 2000rpms, and just use a valve to control speed. Would probably be an even sweeter setup with a diesel.

imagine the possibilities!! Quieter boat underway, much better top end, better fuel efficiency, less moving parts, less parts in the cooling system, smoother operation....... 

I’m betting it would add 5-10k on to the price of the boat though. Those big hydraulic pumps aren’t cheap.

There is already boats that have this setup, and it is ridiculously awesome. These wakeboat manufacturers need to get on the phone with Vetus.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
1 minute ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Probably the best idea for a #gamechanger that I have seen!! 

Worst part is, that is very doable, and would be remarkably easy to integrate. The only downside is the expense. I also think you’d want to keep a rudder though. Have you ever surfed any of these new I/O surf boats? If you turn the wheel even a little bit, the wave gets demolished. They are terrible if you ever have to turn, even a little bit.

trim adjustment would be awesome though, and maybe allow the prop to pivot for steering at low speed.

simple setup though. Engine mounted hydraulic pump, a valve assy, and a prop motor. Run the engine at a steady RPM in a good portion of its torque band at say 2000rpms, and just use a valve to control speed. Would probably be an even sweeter setup with a diesel.

imagine the possibilities!! Quieter boat underway, much better top end, better fuel efficiency, less moving parts, less parts in the cooling system, smoother operation....... 

I’m betting it would add 5-10k on to the price of the boat though. Those big hydraulic pumps aren’t cheap.

Agreed.  But I think the added cost to the market would be greater.  You're absolutely spot on though.  The hydraulics are not cheap.  

6 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

Agreed.  But I think the added cost to the market would be greater.  You're absolutely spot on though.  The hydraulics are not cheap.  

No doubt.

i was taking a wild guess based on the hydraulic pumps I use for our grain transfer systems. They are behind a 400hp 12L diesel, and cost about 6k to replace.

hydraulic motors aren’t too bad. $500-1000 usually, but the pumps, and valve assemblies are usually big $$.

Hmmm, Auto-dimming tint on windows, a built in card shuffler, and how about an onboard ice cooler that actually stays a little cold when filled with ice. That's all I need.

Bob

25 minutes ago, xx29l9 said:

Hmmm, Auto-dimming tint on windows, a built in card shuffler, and how about an onboard ice cooler that actually stays a little cold when filled with ice. That's all I need.

Bob

What about an electric ice chest found in some cars now.  Anyone know how big the draw for those are?  3rd battery option?

@carguy79ta an automatic transmission (which is what these boats have.. single speed.. same as a forklift) are hydraulic pumps. Fluid is pressurized to move other parts.

@spikew919 look at tug boat propulsion, it is a pod underwater. You have 360° degree movement of the prop and no rudder. I have thought of this before but with electric power motors ;)

Never understood why they don't just simply put a 2 speed transmission in these boats... Lo for surfing/sacked out wake boarding, Hi for wake boarding, or activities where you are not pushing weight, cruising. Another solution would be a variable pitch prop and that would fix @TenTwentyOne for prop rotation. However I would hate to see the $$$ for repairs or replacement.. and it would be weird to have to put throttle in reverse to go forwards when you reverse the pitch ( don't know if you could mirror each side due to cupping). 

Just now, Dfowkes said:

What about an electric ice chest found in some cars now.  Anyone know how big the draw for those are?  3rd battery option?

Those have been available for a while.. I never really liked mine, it only works when everything is already cold or hot. Very low draw.

1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

27lsv !  I need more room! 

LOL.. Hulk you need to get out of the wakeboat and just buy a Yacht!!! LOL Then you will have everything you want.. Surf both sides at the same time, air conditioned, kitchen on board, take a nap in bed... If I ever go to surf only... this is my next purchase (then a place to run at as my river is to shallow lol)

10 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

@carguy79ta an automatic transmission (which is what these boats have.. single speed.. same as a forklift) are hydraulic pumps. Fluid is pressurized to move other parts.

@spikew919 look at tug boat propulsion, it is a pod underwater. You have 360° degree movement of the prop and no rudder. I have thought of this before but with electric power motors ;)

Never understood why they don't just simply put a 2 speed transmission in these boats... Lo for surfing/sacked out wake boarding, Hi for wake boarding, or activities where you are not pushing weight, cruising. Another solution would be a variable pitch prop and that would fix @TenTwentyOne for prop rotation. However I would hate to see the $$$ for repairs or replacement.. and it would be weird to have to put throttle in reverse to go forwards when you reverse the pitch ( don't know if you could mirror each side due to cupping). 

Didn't nautique have a transmission gear shift option a few years back? 

1 hour ago, xx29l9 said:

Bob

Its out there. I know a few guys that build ultra high end custom cars that use it.

https://shop.smarttint.com/Automotive-Application_b_11.html

https://shop.smarttint.com/Grey-Smart-Cling-Self-Adhesive-installed-on-a-boat_b_515.html

Edited by COOP
50 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Yeah...but.  aren't the boat trannys lockup? Not a tranny guy but it makes sense. In gear or out of gear. Doesn't need a TC, since the prop spins against a fluid with viscosity. So yes, hydpressure is needed to shift in and out of gear, but that's it.  Ever drive a skidsteer on the road and you will know that hyd pumps aren't made for fuel economy, adds too many moving parts and areas for friction loss.

4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Yeah...but.  aren't the boat trannys lockup? Not a tranny guy but it makes sense. In gear or out of gear. Doesn't need a TC, since the prop spins against a fluid with viscosity. So yes, hydpressure is needed to shift in and out of gear, but that's it.  Ever drive a skidsteer on the road and you will know that hyd pumps aren't made for fuel economy, adds too many moving parts and areas for friction loss.

There are 3 type Hyd motors . The most efficient piston type hydraulic motor and is 85 to 95% efficient, Your typical auto clutch type trans is around 80% at its very best.  

The skid steer you have driven is hydrostatic. Which is 75 to 80%. 

6 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

Their like heat pumps in reverse and have maximum degree variation from ambient temp , so not very cold unless in AC or shade in non hot car