Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Owner - Servicing a Boat

MaseBeebs22

I'm doing more research on owning a boat and need some help. I currently live in Kansas City. My family & I are in the works of purchasing our first boat (23' LSV). We were planning on renting a few homes over the summer at The Ozarks, Grand Lake (Oklahoma) and Table Rock. Once the summer ends we were going to decide on a place to purchase a home. However, it sounds like we are set on just calling Tablerock our second home for the foreseeable future. A few reasons were so we don't need a much larger boat, it's not as busy, and we've all been to Tablerock growing up. I'd like to end up on the East side of the lake near Branson.

Before speaking with dealerships I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts so I don't sound entirely new buying a boat. I'm curious what most dealerships do from a service standpoint and what servicing a boat looks like on an annual basis both time wise and financially. I know I'll need to have a place to store it near the lake, winterize it, oil changes every so many hours. What else will my family need to take into consideration?

Thanks in advance, 

Mason

I’m on table rock as well and live in Kansas City. I have a 2016 so the motor is different but I don’t find it difficult to winterize or change oil so I just handle it all myself each year. The Ski Shack is owned and ran by a great family that will take care of you. In response to your other post I have a 22 mxz and I get around table rock just fine so I think either of your options would work out either way. Where are you at in KC? My wife and I live up north

I am in KC and would love to walk you through service anytime.

To get an idea of service intervals, an Indmar manual is linked below   Pretty straightforward depending on usage but basically count on a new impeller each year and a fluid change or two.   

https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_2018.pdf

3 hours ago, SSinister06 said:

I’m on table rock as well and live in Kansas City. I have a 2016 so the motor is different but I don’t find it difficult to winterize or change oil so I just handle it all myself each year. The Ski Shack is owned and ran by a great family that will take care of you. In response to your other post I have a 22 mxz and I get around table rock just fine so I think either of your options would work out either way. Where are you at in KC? My wife and I live up north

I live downtown right now and work in Lenexa. A majority of my family still lives out in Wichita though, which is why I’d like to just have it stored and managed out near Tablerock. 

We bought a new Malibu last year and had it serviced through the dealer on the lake. We went through 3 services, after break in all fluids changed(under 20hrs, $200), oil change (75hrs, $125) and then had it winterized and all fluids changed again, plus impeller (150hrs, $395). A little more expensive, but well worth me not having to mess it.  My other boats were all direct drive and did everything myself, since it was easy to get, the v drive makes it a little harder for maintenance. Time wise, it took them a couple hours each time, but no downtime on the water, always did it on a weekday morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

The kc water sports guys are good too if it’s not warranty work. Just across the highway from Hillsdale. If you’re feeling frogy while they work on your boat, you could take a ride on their wakeboard cable park.

Also, Stateamind just signed up Sportsman’s marine as a service center.  I think they are working on getting Malibu certified but should soon be an option for KC Bu owners soon (for warranty work eventually as well).   

Sean at KCW is a great dude as well.  I think he is running winter discounts on service right now as well.  

On 1/23/2019 at 11:03 AM, tex599 said:

We bought a new Malibu last year and had it serviced through the dealer on the lake. We went through 3 services, after break in all fluids changed(under 20hrs, $200), oil change (75hrs, $125) and then had it winterized and all fluids changed again, plus impeller (150hrs, $395). A little more expensive, but well worth me not having to mess it.  My other boats were all direct drive and did everything myself, since it was easy to get, the v drive makes it a little harder for maintenance. Time wise, it took them a couple hours each time, but no downtime on the water, always did it on a weekday morning. 

Though obviously cheaper on your own these are good prices including parts from a dealer !