Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds MC-1 Info

Ryan1776

OK a few things. 
First the extension cable for the head unit they include is too short @ 8.5'. 
It's a 13pin DIN cable. It is NOT proprietary. Both by my metering of the two cables and confirmed by WS themselves. Meaning, you don't have to buy Wetsounds extension cable for 40 bucks. In fact, the factory cable that leads from the old head unit to the JBL black box does work. It's only a little longer but might be just enough to make this work. Installing the WS black box in the same location as the JBL. (2010 LSV)
If you do need a little longer, there are some things to consider. Make sure it is of some quality due to the amount of data and power being passed though the cable. Other than that, it shouldn't matter. Just be sure there is not some pin swapping. (Unlikely) 

2nd-I was told that the SiriusXM SCC1 receiver would work. It will not. It's too old, the cable output is not the same as the input to the WS black box. You have to use the SXV300V1. That is the one they use for testing. It might not have to be that exact one, but it has to share the same connector as that. 

3rd- In the EQ settings I have to say I'm a little disappointed that there's only +/- 3 "units" for Low/Mid/High. I don't have anything hooked up yet but I feel this is going to be far too course of an adjustment range. The 420 had 270° of adjustment giving a much finer tune, and most likely over a larger frequency range. It's also only 3 band where the 420 is 4 band.  In the end, this may not really matter as there's adjustment on the amp, just high level observations. 

4th-This is just me might not bother anyone else, but the volume knob has nice detents when you turn it. Giving a good "positive" feel. However, when you spin it "fast" it doesn't react "fast" meaning if you spin what would equate to 10 detents, it doesn't adjust the volume 10 units, you might only get 3. This could very well be design intent. I could certainly see this, as if you hit it with your knee and it goes UP, that could be really loud really quick.  

I'll try to update this as I go though the install, but that is what I know for now. 

Ryan

Edited by Ryan1776

Update. 

I got it all installed over the weekend. 
The factory Malibu DIN cable was used to extent the too short WS cable. Works just fine. 

They don't include bolts for the head unit to mount. Really?! :dontknow: EDIT!! USER ERROR Was stuck in one of the bags. :blush:
They included a small stamped piece of aluminum with bolt holes, but no center hole for the cable. I guess they want you to route the wire up or down around the plate. Splitting hairs here. 

I was under the impression that the EQ was for "all zones" while that is true and is the exact wording, it's not discrete. Meaning, the EQ controls "all zones" at the same time. There is no EQ for Zone 1 or Zone 2 etc. 
To me that's a big miss. You'd think that it would be able to adjust the zones independently. I know they have the ability to update via the USB cable, what I don't know if that is a function/ability/feature that is "upgrade-able" I assume that it would be as it has discrete zones. 
Obviously I have adjustment on the amps which will most likely have enough control to tune it accurately. 

For the good stuff. 

REALLY nice interface. I like the button "feel". REALLY fast BT connectivity. And connects almost instantly upon power up. Very nice! 
The sound quality with my factory speakers is significantly clearer with no changes except for the WS controller. Pretty incredible actually. I attribute that to the higher output voltage compared to the JBL black box. 
The screen is clear good lighting to it. Intuitive menus. Simple to program the names and change settings. 
Honestly, I like that it has a mute button. That's great. 
The aforementioned XM receiver plugged right in, and the unit recognized it instantly. I just backed off the RCA plug for the video input and pulled the antenna cable through that, passed the antenna wire under the glove box and just have it under the windshield for now. 

BTW-Side note on that RCA video, that's separate from the JBL black box right? I've never used it but I've wanted to try. I should be able to still tap into that correct? Anyone have luck using a GoPro to feed an image to the Malivu? 

Edited by Ryan1776
2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

They don't include bolts for the head unit to mount. Really

Since this unit is a black box and interface screen type setup, there is not "head unit" per say. Can you elaborate on what exactly you did not have bolts for? ive not found anything missing. However, I have found the mounting hardware for the interface screen, in a small bag, inside another bag, with other parts. not easily seen upon initial inspection, but found once the installation was underway. 

22 minutes ago, MLA said:

Since this unit is a black box and interface screen type setup, there is not "head unit" per say. Can you elaborate on what exactly you did not have bolts for? ive not found anything missing. However, I have found the mounting hardware for the interface screen, in a small bag, inside another bag, with other parts. not easily seen upon initial inspection, but found once the installation was underway. 

I figured most people would understand the term "head unit" as opposed to "interface type screen" :biggrin:  I mean there are only 2 main pieces to the kit. 
Anyway, the little tiny bag of hardware for the head unit was caught in one of the bags. I thought it would have been wrapped up in the C bracket they include. So in the end, they did include the required hardware. 

Which I did expect, was just surprised when I didn't find it. I took it all out of the box, just got caught. My fault.