Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22’ or 23’ LSV - TableRock Lake

MaseBeebs22

Hello everyone,

My family and I are looking to purchase a new boat on a lake that we’re not too familiar with. 

I have a few quotes on 2019 22 LSV’s, 2019 23’ LSV’s, 2018 23’ LSV’s and wanted to hear your feedback, especially if you’ve ever been to TableRock Lake in Missouri  

I’m wondering what size boat you would recommend on this lake. Is there much difference between a 22’ and 23’ Malibu? I just don’t want to make an investment of this magnitude and feel like I have too small of a boat and the water is too rough for it.

Any other feedback for a new boat buyer is appreciated as well!

Tablerock is a nice lake, it’s big too. A few other nice lakes are within an hour or two too if you want to explore. Tablerock is getting a little busy for us, but there are plenty of coves and arms you can ski/surf in if you want to call that lake home. 

Size? There is a huge difference in my 21 footer and my dad’s 23 Malibu in the ride. Regardless of lake, I’d think the 23 is the better investment since that is the more popular boat...but I suppose you can’t really go wrong.

You would be fine with either boat on Table Rock.  How big is your normal crew?  I don't know where you are located but you could reach out to Stateamind Watersports as I know the GM has a place on Table Rock and he was using a new 23LSV as a demo.  He would be able to answer your questions about the lake and the boats.  

In my opinion it may depend on what end of the lake you will be spending most of your time. Our place is in Shell Knob near the West end of the lake and we see much less traffic than they do near Kimberling City and towards the dam. We make occasional trips to the East in our previous boat, 21 VLX, and we had absolutely zero issue with rough water on most of Table Rock. That being said, we did just recently upgrade to a '18 23 LSV, but it was driven more by space and wave than it was handling rough water. With the deeper hull on the new 22' LSV, I would anticipate zero issues with either option.

Ski Shack is the Malibu dealer down there and are great guys. When we were in the market, they told us that people have been trending with larger Malibus on TRL, but again that was space and wave driven more than water handling.

I had a 2018 23 LSV last year and we have a place in Shell Knob on Table Rock.  It was awesome!  We loved the boat and I am currently building my 2019 23 LSV.

You can’t go wrong with the 23 LSV!

10 hours ago, wedge88 said:

You would be fine with either boat on Table Rock.  How big is your normal crew?  I don't know where you are located but you could reach out to Stateamind Watersports as I know the GM has a place on Table Rock and he was using a new 23LSV as a demo.  He would be able to answer your questions about the lake and the boats.  

Thanks for the feedback. I met someone from Stateamind at the Kansas City Boat Show and have been in contact with them. 

I’m not too sure about the size of the crew. That will probably be around 12 though. I’d rather not have more on than that unless it’s a holiday weekend, where we will just make the best of it. 

4 hours ago, carnold12 said:

In my opinion it may depend on what end of the lake you will be spending most of your time. Our place is in Shell Knob near the West end of the lake and we see much less traffic than they do near Kimberling City and towards the dam. We make occasional trips to the East in our previous boat, 21 VLX, and we had absolutely zero issue with rough water on most of Table Rock. That being said, we did just recently upgrade to a '18 23 LSV, but it was driven more by space and wave than it was handling rough water. With the deeper hull on the new 22' LSV, I would anticipate zero issues with either option.

Ski Shack is the Malibu dealer down there and are great guys. When we were in the market, they told us that people have been trending with larger Malibus on TRL, but again that was space and wave driven more than water handling.

I’m headed down to Springfield Saturday to visit with the Ski Shack team! I appreciate your feedback. Hoping the cost difference between the 22 LSV and 23 LSV isn’t too dramatic. 

19 minutes ago, MaseBeebs22 said:

I’m headed down to Springfield Saturday to visit with the Ski Shack team! I appreciate your feedback. Hoping the cost difference between the 22 LSV and 23 LSV isn’t too dramatic. 

The base MSRP difference is about $6,700 between the two boats. Out the door price differences can vary a lot though, depending on what options and how motivated a dealer might be to sell a particular boat.

You’ll never wish you had a smaller boat, so give the 23 a serious look. The new 22 is going to do very well but the 23 is a proven best seller.

• Like 1

We used to boat there with our 20ft Crownline io, then our 15A22. We always stayed at Hickory Hollow, on the Kings River. It was a 45min boat ride to the shell knob bridge. Water was always good, never crowded. Only have to watch for stumps in coves. Apparently, when the lake filled, a lot of coves were not cleared prior to filling. The locals have cut the trees at low water, so be aware that the "awesome flat water " in the cove you are eyeballing might have trees that are 2ft below the water.

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

We used to boat there with our 20ft Crownline io, then our 15A22. We always stayed at Hickory Hollow, on the Kings River. It was a 45min boat ride to the shell knob bridge. Water was always good, never crowded. Only have to watch for stumps in coves. Apparently, when the lake filled, a lot of coves were not cleared prior to filling. The locals have cut the trees at low water, so be aware that the "awesome flat water " in the cove you are eyeballing might have trees that are 2ft below the water.

Thats good info to konw. I wonder how factual that is vs. a tall tale to keep others out of their prized and treasured coves ;)

Lost my only prop to Table Rock.  In a cove.  In smooth water.  I was probably way too close to the edge of the cove but expected the water dropped off quickly from the cliff, but o guess not.  

37 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Thats good info to konw. I wonder how factual that is vs. a tall tale to keep others out of their prized and treasured coves ;)

Not so much a tall tale.  Lake was flooded in the 50's and most of the clearing was done in the main channel with coves being left alone.  Old power pool on the lake was 915' elevation, now they have raised it to 917', always saw more trees when it was at 915'.  Wait for the years with drought and it drops 10' , then you can really see all the old logger heads here and there.  I clipped one 2 years ago in 40+ feet of water, swinging back around to pick up a downed rider.  Luckily I was going slow and in neutral, took out the prop, prop shaft, strut, and wedge......an insurance deductible later I was back out there.   

15 hours ago, NWBU said:

The base MSRP difference is about $6,700 between the two boats. Out the door price differences can vary a lot though, depending on what options and how motivated a dealer might be to sell a particular boat.

You’ll never wish you had a smaller boat, so give the 23 a serious look. The new 22 is going to do very well but the 23 is a proven best seller.

Thank you for the input. I've tried researching this briefly but what are some of the key differences in the 2018 23' LSV & 2019 23' LSV? I assume it's similar to a car or iPhone where it's just a few small tweaks each year. Anything that stands out to you on the 2019's that you find super important? 

17 hours ago, TWeb12 said:

I had a 2018 23 LSV last year and we have a place in Shell Knob on Table Rock.  It was awesome!  We loved the boat and I am currently building my 2019 23 LSV.

You can’t go wrong with the 23 LSV!

What are some of the key differences in the 2018 23' LSV & 2019 23' LSV?. Anything that stands out to you on the 2019's that you find super important that are leading you to making the change?

ahopkins22LSV

In my opinion the two biggest differences, which are both improvements imo is power wedge III/integrated surf pipe and the malibu engine using the GM block for 2019. There were other minor improvements like the drivers chair and upgraded vinyl. Both are very nice but not something I’d buy a 19 for over, let’s say a 2018 that was a great deal and I liked. If I was “settling” for colors or options on an 18 they would be factors plus the big factors of the engine and PWIII to go 2019. 

The only other noticeable change is the rear lockers don’t have the walkover pads that ‘18s have. They never bothered me but some people are happy to see them go away.

There’s a few really nice and well maintained ‘18s for sale in the DFW area if you look at the TMC classifieds. @G Spot @Murphy8166 and I think @Ronnie all have theirs listed.

It is interesting that this type of post would have historically elicited one or more follow up questions regarding the OP’s preferred watersports activities or what boat, if any, they were coming from, etc. 

Just an observation. Carry on.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

The only other noticeable change is the rear lockers don’t have the walkover pads that ‘18s have. They never bothered me but some people are happy to see them go away.

There’s a few really nice and well maintained ‘18s for sale in the DFW area if you look at the TMC classifieds. @G Spot @Murphy8166 and I think @Ronnie all have theirs listed.

@NWBU Sold mine in Sept. Already have my '19 but it's for sale, deliver in Sept.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

@NWBU Sold mine in Sept. Already have my '19 but it's for sale, deliver in Sept.

Ah that’s right, I remember that now. 

Mine’s here too but I don’t have any place to keep it until April, and wouldn’t really use it before then anyway.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, hethj7 said:

Which engine you get in a ‘19 will depend on your build date too.  All GM based but not necessarily the new DI engine.  

That’s true but I’d still take the 6.0 l96 over the 6.2 raptor. It’s quieter, smoother and takes of less space in the engine compartment making it easier to work on. I’m get dang near identical performance out of between the 17 vtx I demo’d and our 19 now. 

• Like 2

Fair enough, I'm just pointing out the differences.   I haven't really dealt with the 6.0, but have been overall pleased with the Ford power plant.   Of course, I'm also excited to think of the new DI option in my (hopefully) 2020 Bu.   

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah it’s not that the 6.2 raptor was bad, it was very good. I think the 6.0 just us a hair of an advantage due to the points I stated earlier. But it’s very close. Honestly the biggest this is probably it being smaller making maintence more convenient.